Oscraps

*winner announced* NBK Design create background paper Challenge 3/27- 4/02

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
au9l6s.jpg

Hi and welcome to the last challenge of March. (where in the world does the time go???) So this challenge is a bit like Ona's challenge this month, where you create your background paper. This time you will use styles for for texture and coloring and add any doodles, artsy bits and pieces, brushes and masks masks or whatever else to create your finished paper.

To start with, I used a basic paper from NBK Art and Journal collection. I also added several masks from that collection. I decided on a gesso style from the Re-Invent collection. I added a different gesso style to each mask.

Step 1
5lcv9z.jpg

This is what my paper looked like after the gesso styles were added.
Step 2
2dihzxk.jpg

Here I just added a mask and used the Painters toolbox watercolor styles from Art and Journal just to test it out. I then moved to the background
Step3
34rgksh.jpg

I started adding some other things like paint strokes, brushes, artsy bits and then I started adding, moving things around and adding more styles from the painters tool box watercolors to complete my paper. I changed the opacity of some items as well. I used style to recolor at least 6 or more elements.
Step 4
ei6sy1.jpg

After I added, subtracted and moved around some pieces, this is my paper. The background is barely visible as I used the gesso nearly completely cover the paper and some recolored elements.
f02efa.jpg

Here is my layout
35ksigy.jpg

I used Art and Journal collection (including the Painter box watercolor styles), Re-Invent for the gesso style and 2 elements from Little Dwarfs.

It is so easy to create your own background paper!

As always, here is some inspiration from the NBK CT:

Trish

Traumelfe

Prizes:
One lucky person will randomly be chosen to win a $4 coupon to NBK Design store.

Rules:
Use masks, styles and other elements as you wish with to create your background, it must cover 95% of your page. You must use at least 2 styles either to recolor or as texture. Background paper should only be visible in very small areas around the page.
• Layout needs to contain some NBK Design products.
• Layouts need to be uploaded to NBK GALLERY by Sunday 02 April 2017 11.59 pm CST time.
• Layouts need to be linked back to this thread by Sunday 02 April 2017 11.59 pm CST time.

Last edited by a moderator:

seniorgal

That was really something fun to learn! Here's one from me using Winter Blues Painting and Glam Styles, masks and paper.

01lousmith

I would absolutely love to participate but I use paint.net, which does not support "styles". I can use everything else, do blending, recolor, texturize, etc just not use what is sold as "styles".
Is it still ok?
Thanks

seniorgal

Here's one using the kits I bought from winning last weeks coupon.(now that I can unzip them!) :bounce:

01lousmith

Yes that is fine. Thanks for asking and can't wait to see your layout!

I'm glad you said yes! I was so enthusiastic about trying it that I went ahead and started before I saw your reply ;)
I covered most of my light blue BG paper with various pieces of gesso/texture. I used various masks over and under the gesso (and obviously for the picture too). Added some paints, magiclights, and various other bits and pieces.
Thanks!

OS_Mar17_27-4_NBK_BG.jpg

https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=368300&title=smile&cat=1601

DivaMom96

Live, love, create.
I have a question about NBK styles

So, in playing around with the styles, I notice that blending modes don't work with them. Am I selecting the correct part? I would love to blend the styled mask into the paper, but it doesn't work. Any thoughts?

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
So, in playing around with the styles, I notice that blending modes don't work with them. Am I selecting the correct part? I would love to blend the styled mask into the paper, but it doesn't work. Any thoughts?

I usually simplify the layer and the blending modes work on the simplified layer.

SharLamb

Sharron
Thanks for that tip, Diane. I didn't know that. (For PS users, it would be "Rasterize" rather than Simplify.)

clindoeil

Marie-Claire
What a fun Challenge !
I could play hours with brush and styles to create a background !
There are so many coll brushes and styles in the NBK Collections !

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
Hi everyone. I have been with my daughter for 2 days since she had PRK Lasix eye surgery and has to sleep for 3 days. I have watched more television in the last 48 hours than I have in 2 weeks! lol

Sorry I didn't tell your that yes, I still use PSE 14...just can't get the hang of PS. I tried PS3 and just gave up.

The winner is randomly chosen by random.com and I corrected the post.

The layouts are lovely...thank you! Great job. I hope everyone has fun. I love feedback-positive or negative. I don't do tuts as there are so many other people out there more talented, but I like to share a bit of knowledge.

felis

I would absolutely love to participate but I use paint.net, which does not support "styles". I can use everything else, do blending, recolor, texturize, etc just not use what is sold as "styles".
Is it still ok?
Thanks
Yes that is fine. Thanks for asking and can't wait to see your layout!
Like Lou said .asl and .aco files can works only with PS and PSE Versions, so is not option for other users. But for this challenge I just used their color scheme with the Pipette tool. It's not option for the texture Styles, but I guess is pretty similar results when we talk about colors.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
This challenge has to be one of my favorites, I had so much fun and felt really creative doing it. Thank you, Sharon!

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
Thanks for all the feedback. I am so happy you are enjoying it! I find it a very fun challenge as well.

Oldenmeade

Better late than never! I missed Ona's challenge last week and was determined not to miss another one. Great challenge, thanks - I had a ball with it.