Oscraps

Why do you scrap?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
1-geneology and 4 artistic
I have never paper scrapped. I couldn't stand the mess. I did paint for a while but that was a mess as well and I wasn't that good at it. So when I discovered digi-scrapping I found my niche. I started with the family album from back in the early 1800's- 2012. which included my daughter growing up. Once all those pictures were used I moved on to purely artistic efforts which I do just for fun.

I have no problem using web based photos which are way better than anything I could take and much more versatile in subject matter. For me it is all about how I can take any photo and transform it into something more than just a photo. My main purpose is to keep learning new skills and applying them in many different ways.
One of the biggest issues I had with paper scrapping was the mess as well as the *time* it took to pull everything out and put it back when you have toddlers running around. I would try to scrap during the 2 hours the kids would nap.

Good for you that you are using scrapping as a way to be creative *and* to continue learning new skills in such a beautiful way!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
great question - probably between 3 and 4 - the past year i have never taken so few photos

i am not an artistic scrapper ( wish i was ) but i dont do memory keeping either . but i did get into scrapping to create memories of my furbaby cooper who is no longer with us. I made a ton of pages of him - he was very photogenic so it was easy to create pages.

like kythe i am totally fine with using stock photos or from photogrpaher i have permission to use to create pages. quality wise my personal photos are not good at all.
Cooper sure was a good boy xoxo
I hope that we all can get back to taking some more photos this year than last.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I paper scrapped for about two days! I couldn't stand the mess either, and had glue dots stuck to everything, including me!

"For me it is all about how I can take any photo and transform it into something more than just a photo. My main purpose is to keep learning new skills and applying them in many different ways."

Well, said! Photography is my number one hobby, especially the processing of photos. But, I agree about web-based images. I love your main purpose too, and, if you don't mind, I'm adopting that as my own! :)
I am in awe of your photo-processing skills. You are so creative and artistic!!!

MissBelle

I was going to make this into a poll but I don't know how or if you can with the new forum. Instead of voting in a poll, I am going to ask my question this way.

Why do you scrap?
  1. To keep memories, such as family events, vacations, holidays, etc.
  2. Mostly for memories but some artistic endeavors
  3. Mostly for artistic endeavors but some some memory keeping.
  4. For artistic purposes, such as photoless pages or non-personal photos, art journaling
The reason I am asking is that I recently finished an album of my nephew for this tenth birthday. I started documenting his years after he was born and I have made a book every year since. When I started all those years ago, my kids were in middle and high school and still mostly willing for me to take photos of them to scrap. I began paper scrapping when they were babies so my entry into all scrapbooking worlds was strictly as a memory keeper. As they grew older and my skill in digital scrapping got better (as much as it is worth hahaha!), I have moved farther from memory keeping to more artistic. At the same time, there is no way that can break totally free from the original aspect of "how I began" and it is easier for me to scrap my personal photos than ones I find on Pixabay or Unsplash.

I would love to hear about how you see your reasons for scrapping and if you moved in one direction or another. Do you scrap in one way most of the time, but around the holidays or life events in a different way? No right or wrong answers!
:)
#4. As we don't have any children, I rarely use personal photos as I was mainly doing wildlife and landscape photos. I have a large collection of old photos made in the early 1900s both pro portraits and by my paternal grandfather and some from 1940 to about 1960 made by my father so I have made some "memories" pages using them.

Danesa

Danesa
1-4! :) My first choice is scrapping my little grandson, Edison. Since I don't always get photos (other than Snapchat, FB, Instagram, etc, I haven't had a lot to choose from lately. I HAVE to get to Florida to see that young man soon!! I do love artsy with quotes, as I make a lot of books with quotes...I'm a food court of page layouts...one spectrum to the other...depends on the mood that day, I suppose. :)

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
1-4! :) My first choice is scrapping my little grandson, Edison. Since I don't always get photos (other than Snapchat, FB, Instagram, etc, I haven't had a lot to choose from lately. I HAVE to get to Florida to see that young man soon!! I do love artsy with quotes, as I make a lot of books with quotes...I'm a food court of page layouts...one spectrum to the other...depends on the mood that day, I suppose. :)
"food court of page layouts . . . one spectrum to the other" I love your description and pretty much describes mine as well. ♥

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
You still haven't gotten to see him yet? *heartbroken* Just wait! You are going to have so many pictures to choose from.
OMG- I am LMBO The food court of LOs! That is a good description of how I scrap too but I never would have thought to describe it that way- it is perfect!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
#4. As we don't have any children, I rarely use personal photos as I was mainly doing wildlife and landscape photos. I have a large collection of old photos made in the early 1900s both pro portraits and by my paternal grandfather and some from 1940 to about 1960 made by my father so I have made some "memories" pages using them.
The heritage pages must be such a treasure. I love seeing wildlife photos and pages even if it makes me jealous that I am such a poor photographer!