Oscraps

Why do they do this???

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
...authors killing the readers' favorite characters, I mean? I'm so peeved at the moment because my favorite series - Chronicles of St Mary's - has just turned from the fun lighthearted adventure with lots of twists and turns and a guaranteed happy end for all into a grim tale of 'all is lost and there is no hope because the bad guys always win' type. Some are dead, some are crippled, and the rest are just 'standing there frozen, their minds totally blank'.

It is a fourteen-book series (so far) and the first seven were awesome... number eight was a "WHAT???" and now I am on number 9 - hoping things would get better, which they kind of do... marginally, after a snarky preface by the author regarding the readers' feelings towards her previous (#8) book.

So, now I'm halfway through number 9 and wondering whether I can be bothered to continue... not sure if my desire to know what happens next outweighs my annoyance with the author's portrayal of the main character, who's becoming rather unlikable at his point. And useless... and stupid... If I want a serious book, or a realistic one, or a thought-provoking one - I'll get one. St Mary's are for fun and relaxation, an escape into a world of fantasy... I just hate it when authors pull the rug from under my feet like this. And then tell me off for not reacting to their product the way they would like me to.

Just venting...

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I remember being distraught over more than a few deaths in the Harry Potter series. Some of them still feel like a gut punch.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I've not heard of this series and normally I'd be all excited to find a new read, but I think I might wait to find out if you think the author redeems herself!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I've not heard of this series and normally I'd be all excited to find a new read, but I think I might wait to find out if you think the author redeems herself!

She - Jodi Taylor, the author that is - is still an excellent storyteller so, after a bout of annoyance and my rant here, I decided to continue listening to the book - do not regret it... and I think she took the hint and thought that losing her loyal readers was not worth it. However, it seems she's now facing the same conundrum as many before her: in an effort to add twists and suspense, the villain turned out too strong, too smart, too everything and now that every imaginable way to defeat them has been tried and proved lacking... she was out of ideas... and was stalling a bit... but it HAS gotten back on track now...

Reactions: AZK

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
She - Jodi Taylor, the author that is - is still an excellent storyteller so, after a bout of annoyance and my rant here, I decided to continue listening to the book - do not regret it... and I think she took the hint and thought that losing her loyal readers was not worth it. However, it seems she's now facing the same conundrum as many before her: in an effort to add twists and suspense, the villain turned out too strong, too smart, too everything and now that every imaginable way to defeat them has been tried and proved lacking... she was out of ideas... and was stalling a bit... but it HAS gotten back on track now...
That's good to hear!

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
My library only has one book by Jodi Taylor, so I read book nr. 1.
i really loved it, it immediately made me think of the timeless tv series.

there were also a lot of deaths in the first book, and not the easy die in your sleep deaths!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
My library only has one book by Jodi Taylor, so I read book nr. 1.
i really loved it, it immediately made me think of the timeless tv series.

there were also a lot of deaths in the first book, and not the easy die in your sleep deaths!

Yes, it is a bit like Timeless... and you are right, lots of characters die in book 1, but as it is the first in a series, I guess she was getting a feel of how/who she wanted to develop further... as it is fantasy and not real-life, I don't mind secondary characters dying.