Oscraps

What's happening to this AASPN png?

CookingMyLife

I am using the tag from Anna's ArtPlayPalette Wild Autumn on my neverednding (!!!) 2012 River Cruise pages. I have used the .png and then added a text layer above it to change the day # for each day on the trip.

All is fine, unless I move the linked png, the text layer & the brass brad and/or resize it.. Then I suddenly get a white background. I'm not sure if I've tried it by merging the two/three items before adding to the layout but I've never had this happen before. I know I'll be moving this little pair around on future layouts as the first place is rarely the 'best' place.

I'm in PSE 13 on a Mac and CLUELESS! Can any help??

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-02-16%2Bat%2B2.44.44%2BPM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SharLamb

Sharron
Try CMD + or - to make the screen bigger or smaller/refresh and see if it goes away. (At least on a PC it is CTRL + or -, so I'm guessing CMD on a Mac.??)

CookingMyLife

Thanks Tamsin...in looking at the files, I think there is something odd about one of them. Way too small imho. I wonder if I used that one?

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-02-24%2Bat%2B5.10.12%2BPM.png

ETA: I now see that the 51KB Tag A one is the shadow. Not sure of the difference between the first .png and the last.

Last edited by a moderator:

petey111

I have had this happen a lot! What I have to do is simplify the layer first. Then I can resize it without the white background showing up. Then the white background won't happen. I have this happen when I have saved the file and come back to work on the layer. I never have quite figured out what I lose by simplifying, other than if I've added a shadow, I can't adjust or take off the shadow again. Hope this helps!!

petey111

I'm glad you understood that. Clearly I shouldn't type while trying to help my 10 year old. That post was very poorly written! Lol. I should have said that it seems to happen after I close Adobe completely and come back to the file. If I save the file, but don't shut Adobe down, it doesn't seem to happen. I'm glad to help. It's a scrapbooking annoyance that has bothered me for years!

SharLamb

Sharron
Could you solve this by dragging the element to your Photoshop workspace FIRST, and then dragging it to the LO? (Rather than dragging it directly onto the LO...)

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
Hi Maureen,
I have checked the file and it looks good on my end.
I have never encountered the problem you're experiencing.
Have you by chance Googled this?

A

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Could you solve this by dragging the element to your Photoshop workspace FIRST, and then dragging it to the LO? (Rather than dragging it directly onto the LO...)
Yes, that is what I have to do in CS5. If I drag a psd file onto my page, it flattens it. Not sure if there is a setting to not have that happen, but now I drag it as a new file then, drag it onto my LO.

CookingMyLife

Anna, I've never had this happen with any .png before. This tag is the only one where I've had the issue. I'll try Googlng. I just found it hard to put into words rather than visualizing. For once I was at a loss for words.... ;)

I always drag to my PSE icon, rather than drag onto the layout page. Or at least I think I do. LOL. I believe I will start again with a new copy of the tag and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone!

petey111

Anna - I don't think it is anything specific to the elements. I have had it happen for years and years and with different designer's stuff. (For example, if I dug deep enough into the forum, I'm sure I can find a post or two from years ago where I first asked about it.)

And I always open my elements in PSE before putting them into my layout.

Like I said, in my case at least, it always happens after I've put together the page and saved it and quit out of Adobe. Then reopened my page and tried to work on the page again and resized an element. It will turn the transparent background white. So I'll undo it and simplify the layer for that element, then I can resize it without a problem.

Tamsin

Sara, could it be something to do with your 'save as' options?

Maureen, sorry but I deleted my post. I did have a problem as described but couldn't replicate it and nor was I sure which png I opened first. I had no problem opening any the second time and decided my post wouldn't contribute anything to a solution and only confuse the issue.

Tamsin

And Sara. Just looking at my layers palette in PSE there is a 'transparency lock' option. I've never used it but I wonder if it would help if you can't find another solution. Lock in the transparency of the png I mean. No idea. Just guessing.