Oscraps

What was your favorite childhood book?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I spent a good part of my childhood reading, so I have lots of favorites. This one stands out because 1) I read it over and over and OVER 2) my parents bought it for me at a school book sale in 1967-they were very frugal, so it was a special gift, and 3) I still have this book!

3c3b624d379b37816126e2cf9e00dc38.jpg

Another favorite, that I don't have anymore because it fell apart, is this book:

il_680x540.381672903_97rf.png

I actually used it as a reference book to write a report about horses!

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Oh, I have so many... but the one that I read over and over was The Secret Garden.
I was enchanted by the story of an orphan girl discovering a Secret Garden while living with her uncle.

s-l1600.jpg

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Well, I'm Swedish: Astrid Lindgrens books! My favorites were Karlsson på taket (Karlsson on the roof), Bröderna Lejonhjärta (The Brothers Lionheart) and Vi på Saltkråkan (Seacrow Island). Also the books about Bullerbyn (Noisy Village). Pippi & Emil of course. Now I've mentioned basically all her books. LOL

But Karlsson was my favorite. I've realized I always loved the books/movies with the obnoxius rebels, like Karlsson & Pippi, not to forget the wonderful cat Garfield.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
That's a hard one. I read voraciously! But I read the covers off my copy of Black Beauty, read every single volume of Nancy Drew, and went into space with Mr. Bass. And did I mention Mrs. Pigglewiggle?

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
That's a hard one. I read voraciously! But I read the covers off my copy of Black Beauty, read every single volume of Nancy Drew, and went into space with Mr. Bass. And did I mention Mrs. Pigglewiggle?

Oh yes!! I had every Nancy Drew book up to like #115 and read them over and over again! I saved them for our daughter but she was uninterested. :(

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Oh, I have so many... but the one that I read over and over was The Secret Garden.
I was enchanted by the story of an orphan girl discovering a Secret Garden while living with her uncle.

I have a copy of The Secret Garden that I bought at an estate sale. The inscription inside the cover states that it was a gift and was dated 1948. I was collecting older children's books for a while until I ran out of places to store them.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
The Westing Game and The Misty of Chincoteague series

The Misty books were some of mine, too. I read anything by Marguerite Henry that I could get my hands on. I loved Black Beauty too.

Yes! I was a huge Marguerite Henry fan, but the book in my first post was the only one I actually owned. The rest were library books. Another horse series I loved was The Black Stallion. I have a copy of The Son of The Black Stallion that was printed in 1947.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Well, I'm Swedish: Astrid Lindgrens books! My favorites were Karlsson på taket (Karlsson on the roof), Bröderna Lejonhjärta (The Brothers Lionheart) and Vi på Saltkråkan (Seacrow Island). Also the books about Bullerbyn (Noisy Village). Pippi & Emil of course. Now I've mentioned basically all her books. LOL

But Karlsson was my favorite. I've realized I always loved the books/movies with the obnoxius rebels, like Karlsson & Pippi, not to forget the wonderful cat Garfield.

It would be fun to see if there are English language versions I could get from the library!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O

I adored the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series. The Misty series, oh how I love horses! ♥

I read anything I could get my hands on but those were some favorites

Oh yes!! I had every Nancy Drew book up to like #115 and read them over and over again! I saved them for our daughter but she was uninterested. :(

For my sister and I it was the Trixie Belden series! I may have read the occasional Nancy Drew but I don't think I ever ready any Hardy Boys books. Susie, I think my sister kept the Trixie Belden books for her kids. I'll have to ask her if they enjoyed them or not.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Yes! I was a huge Marguerite Henry fan, but the book in my first post was the only one I actually owned. The rest were library books. Another horse series I loved was The Black Stallion. I have a copy of The Son of The Black Stallion that was printed in 1947.
Oh, I had the Black Stallion and The Son of The Black Stallion book. I had my original childhood books and gave them to my grandchildren - now I'm wishing I'd kept them. I have replaced all of them with "copies" however. You can buy the complete sets of these books on Amazon, so I did.

Reactions: AZK

janedee

I have a lot of favourites, starting with The Faraway Tree series and the Famous Five by Enid Blyton. Later, I loved The Railway Children by E. Nesbit and The Borrowers series by Mary Norton, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe By CS Lewis and always, the Hobbit by JR Tolkien.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Oh, how sad! Our little library in Murray had a huge collection of them, but they had all been updated and sounded all wrong. No more chums, among other things. Boo! Still I read them all again, less than 30 minutes a volume now. It seemed like hours when I was a kid!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
It would be fun to see if there are English language versions I could get from the library!
I adored the rebels, too! My 2nd Grade teacher introduced us to Pippi Longstocking. I was completely captivated by the art in the book, too.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I have a lot of favourites, starting with The Faraway Tree series and the Famous Five by Enid Blyton. Later, I loved The Railway Children by E. Nesbit and The Borrowers series by Mary Norton, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe By CS Lewis and always, the Hobbit by JR Tolkien.
Absolutely a Tolkien fan, but would you believe I didn't discover his work until I was in my mid-twenties. Then I was hooked!

pachimac

CHEERY O
Oh, how sad! Our little library in Murray had a huge collection of them, but they had all been updated and sounded all wrong. No more chums, among other things. Boo! Still I read them all again, less than 30 minutes a volume now. It seemed like hours when I was a kid!

If you stick to the first 100 of them, it’s the Nancy we all knew and loved!

pachimac

CHEERY O

I still have all the original ones. I couldn’t part with them. I just found out there is a book I never knew about that was the continuation of Stormy Misty’s foal!!! I have to get it!

Here it is;

Misty's Twilight

I'm sOOO buying this!

Last edited:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I was thinking some more about books and of course, I need to add to my list.

Beverly Cleary and Ramona Quimby.
Judy Blume
And how could I forget The Outsiders?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Absolutely a Tolkien fan, but would you believe I didn't discover his work until I was in my mid-twenties. Then I was hooked!

I didn't read the CS Lewis books OR the Tolkien books until I was an adult, either!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I still have all the original ones. I couldn’t part with them. I just found out there is a book I never knew about that was the continuation of Stormy Misty’s foal!!! I have to get it!

Here it is;

Misty's Twilight

I'm sOOO buying this!

I see a few other titles that I'm pretty sure I wasn't aware of! I'm going to bookmark that page for future reference.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I was thinking some more about books and of course, I need to add to my list.

Beverly Cleary and Ramona Quimby.
Judy Blume
And how could I forget The Outsiders?
Those are some familiar names, too!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
If you stick to the first 100 of them, it’s the Nancy we all knew and loved!
True, true. We have some great thrift stores here and I've been seeing some Nancy Drew among the titles. Methinks I need a new bookcase. I still love them and a quick read is a great stress reducer. Hmmm, my youngest's girlfriend may need an introduction!

pachimac

CHEERY O
True, true. We have some great thrift stores here and I've been seeing some Nancy Drew among the titles. Methinks I need a new bookcase. I still love them and a quick read is a great stress reducer. Hmmm, my youngest's girlfriend may need an introduction!
I should take some out of the library and read them again. I really love YA books too!! :)