Oscraps

What smell brings back great memories?

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Since we are all here for the most important reason to scrap...memories- making them, remembering them and celebrating them.

What smell brings back great memories? The sense of smell is closely linked with memory, probably more so than any of our other senses.

When I smell a gardenia, I immediately think of my mom. It is her favorite flower.

For some, waking up to the scent of fresh brewed coffee brings joy and memories of your childhood. Here are some others that might trigger a memory:
candles
crayons
Just-washed laundry
Summer rain
Camp fires
perfume
Homemade baked goods

For me the smell of patchouli brings back memories of growing up in the 70s. Where one would put some of the oil on for a body scent or burn incensed infused with it. It's no wonder that today I am drawn to perfumes that contain it as an ingredient.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Believe it or not I love the smell of creosote, it brings back so many wonderful memories of walking the railroad tracks in the summer heat to go swimming. I have many other fav smells too, but this one always brings a flood of wonderful childhood memories! I know you probably all think I am crazy :loco: :becky:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh yes, the sense of smell is most closely linked to memory. The olfactory nerve directly connects to the part of the brain associated with memory. When that part of the brain is stimulated electrically, it can actually evoke the scent connected with that memory. Fascinating topic.

Coppertone Tone sunscreen- always brings me back to the beach when I was a kid. That smell makes me so happy.
PlayDo is another one and it has to be "real" playdo- not the RoseArt Brand :nono:

Trudy- I don't think you are crazy at all!

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I have always liked the smell of coffee, long before I drank it, but no special memory attached to that.

and about sunlotion,
we used to have sun oil, that smelled like coconut! brings me straight back to Spain as a child. The times we used to sunbath all day long, with hardly any protection. Sunoil did not even have a protection nr. on it!!

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Believe it or not I love the smell of creosote, it brings back so many wonderful memories of walking the railroad tracks in the summer heat to go swimming. I have many other fav smells too, but this one always brings a flood of wonderful childhood memories! I know you probably all think I am crazy :loco: :becky:

I had to look up what creosote is. Asphalt or tar smell here in the US. What a great memory you shared. I can picture you walking the tracks. Not all our trigger smells can be lavender LOL

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Oh yes, the sense of smell is most closely linked to memory. The olfactory nerve directly connects to the part of the brain associated with memory. When that part of the brain is stimulated electrically, it can actually evoke the scent connected with that memory. Fascinating topic.

Coppertone Tone sunscreen- always brings me back to the beach when I was a kid. That smell makes me so happy.
PlayDo is another one and it has to be "real" playdo- not the RoseArt Brand :nono:

Trudy- I don't think you are crazy at all!

Faery which beach did you go to? Coppertone is definitely a specific scent. When I was younger we put on baby oil and sizzled our way to a crisp red/brown

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
I have always liked the smell of coffee, long before I drank it, but no special memory attached to that.

and about sunlotion,
we used to have sun oil, that smelled like coconut! brings me straight back to Spain as a child. The times we used to sunbath all day long, with hardly any protection. Sunoil did not even have a protection nr. on it!!

I didn't drink coffee until my 30s but I sure loved the smell. I can remember my mom using the stainless steel coffee pot that would percolate on the stove top and the delicious aroma of coffee in the early morning kitchen

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Lorraine, when I was little we went to a small man-made lake/beach not far from my house. The smell of Coppertone brings me back-- but you know what else I remember? My butt sizzling on the black vinyl seats of my mom's station wagon! :D

Danesa

Danesa
I was just thinking of this while doing a layout last night. haha

Every week, when I take my clothes out of the dryer, I think of my grandma. That fresh wonderful aroma brings me back to helping grandma doing laundry, as a kid. I actually say aloud, each time, grandma, you taught me to love doing laundry. Thank you! :) The only difference is, she had one of those outside clothes lines that was on a pully that you stood on the upstairs porch and cranked it around to get the items off the line. How I miss those day. haha I do miss not being able to use an outside line (because of homeowners association restrictions.)

The smell of baby lotion always makes me think of my baby girls (who are now 36 & 32) after their bath time. Miss those nightly moments.

Pine trees ... when I lived in an isolated forest, in Calif, for a couple of years, to wake up to the smell of pine coming through the windows was so pleasant. I think that's why I love having fresh pine boughs in the house in the winter now.

Soooo many smells trigger emotions and memories for me too. As I sit here, drinking my coffee, I think of my sweet little mama, who would have been 85 in a week, who always had a cup of coffee with her. I've always loved the aroma..just hated the taste, until I realized (last year) if I drink it black, its quite good and no nausea from the cream. Colon cancer research states that drinking 1-4 cups a day is beneficial for survivors, so I'm glad I've acquired the taste now & enjoy it. :)