Oscraps

What is the first thing that you do when starting a new layout?

FiddletteDesigner

Designer
I usually start with the photo edit, if I’m using a photo. If not, I figure out what will be the focal point and how I will present it to the best of its advantage. But I pretty much wing it from that point onward lol!

Caro

CHEERY O
Depends. I don't scrap to document my photos it's more for art purposes so usually I choose a kit first and then start working on a page and then dig thru my photos. I love taking lots of pics to fit a ton of themes too so sometimes I may have a photo that I want to scrap with specifically.

Robloz55

I am mostly doing challenges, so I start with the challenge rules and see what inspires me.

I then choose a picture that matches the challenge. The picture then inspires the kit to use - usually.

But sometimes the challenge inspires both the kit and the pictures. The most obvious example of that was the Word Art Challenge for August. The summer word arts were done in yellow and blue, and it just to so happens that there is a freebie kit (Sunshine by Vicki Stegall) which is also themed yellow and blue which matched the word art and my sons photos pretty much perfectly.... :)

Sometimes I will scrap a real life event as it happens. I have done that a few times.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
It's not always the same with me. If it is for CT work, I open the files in Bridge and look over the backgrounds and elements of the kit. Then I go searching for a picture that would work with the particular kit. I do not like to make layouts for CT's just for the sake of making one, so anything I do is because I want to scrap a photo, memory, or try a technique I have seen.

If it's for me, I will start with the picture and go in search of a kit that will work with it.

Amandajk

I don't always start the same way i.e. photo first or kit first, it just depends. What I do for most LOs is drag and drop the products I know I want to use, onto my layout. Then I often drag and drop a few other papers b/c as my design progresses, I might change my mind about the base layer or may want to start blending and moving paper layers around, turning paper layers on and off to fit my LO design. I often drag and drop a few extra elements onto the LO, placing them out of the way, then throughout the process, I decide if I want to use those extra bits, if not I just turn those layers off.
Our processes are very similar!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Despite an occasional art/experiment page, I mostly scrap for albums, BUT being on several CTs means I have to use certain products... which in practice means I have seven year albums in various stages of completion... so when deciding on what to scrap, I try to match photos that need scrapping with kits that need to be used... sometimes if I feel a kit just doesn't fit any of my photos at all, I go with the colors and off theme.. I've been known to scrap my son's April birthday with a winter kit because I loved the blues (and ignored the snowflakes).

When it comes to actual scrapping - I usually start with the photos which then determine the general page composition (masked, framed, matted, where, how many, etc) and once I'm happy with the story flow and the journaling, I start adding elements and papers - which often come last...

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
I start with photos and then go looking for a kit. Once I have decided on a kit, i create a new sub folder in the kit called "2use" and move the pieces that I think i might want to use into that sub folder (i store all kit pieces in one folder so this makes things easier for me). I always layer papers first, and then add photos. After photos are placed how i like, I add embellishments, titling and journal last.

That is a really good idea!

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
I do both, either starting with a photo and looking for a kit depending on what I am scrapping for.....myself or a challenge (yet still for myself) or starting with a paper and finding a photo to go with it.

*sylvia*

♥→o←♥
CHEERY O
If it's for me, I usually start with the photo / photos.
For a CT I look at the theme, choose a background paper and than search for a photo.