Oscraps

What is the first thing that you do when starting a new layout?

LSlycord

I'm curious...what is the first thing that you do when starting a new layout? Do you start with a photo that you want to scrap or do you start with a kit that you want to use? I suspect, like me, you do both depending on the mood.

If you start with a kit, do you open all of the various pieces or do you start with a few that you know that you want to use? I just recently started opening everything before I even begin.

Tell us your secrets.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I want to be better at starting with a photo & tell it's story. It's what I think I'll start striving at.

However ... I think I often start with a phrase, a lyric, a quote, a wordart etc that I like and go from that.

DesignsByCRK

Designer
I start with photos and then go looking for a kit. Once I have decided on a kit, i create a new sub folder in the kit called "2use" and move the pieces that I think i might want to use into that sub folder (i store all kit pieces in one folder so this makes things easier for me). I always layer papers first, and then add photos. After photos are placed how i like, I add embellishments, titling and journal last.

LSlycord

I want to be better at starting with a photo & tell it's story. It's what I think I'll start striving at.

However ... I think I often start with a phrase, a lyric, a quote, a wordart etc that I like and go from that.
I love some good wordart!

LSlycord

I start with photos and then go looking for a kit. Once I have decided on a kit, i create a new sub folder in the kit called "2use" and move the pieces that I think i might want to use into that sub folder (i store all kit pieces in one folder so this makes things easier for me). I always layer papers first, and then add photos. After photos are placed how i like, I add embellishments, titling and journal last.
I like the idea of storing all pieces in one folder. I have never thought of that. I think I may try it.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Since almost all of my scrapping is CT-related, I start with the kit and try to find a photo to work with. Once I've got that settled, I open all the papers/elements I think I'll want to use and put them in the photo bin (PSE). I add and subtract pieces depending on how the page is going.

Kythe

CHEERY O
I pretty much start with the kit as I do CT work.
I open my folder that has the entire kit in it and let it 'speak' to me. I may pick a colour or element that I want to feature then search for an image. I drag the element from my folder to the bin as I use them. Mind you it does help to be working with two big monitors!I can have the entire kit open in one and the workspace in the other.
Once I have the image, I find or construct a mask and/or filter to use. Often I will use a clipping mask or two on the backgrounds and combine them to make an original background paper.
From there I assemble the layering pieces and place them on the backgrounds and drop the filtered/masked image on top.
The last thing I do is create a cluster or border. Sometimes to finish it off I add a whole page overlay to add depth.

Now if it is a personal photo I am scrapping, I always start with the photo. I Iook at the theme of the photo or the main colours and search for a kit or two that will work then proceed as usual.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Depends - if it's for a CT, I look at the theme first - then see if I have any pictures that are right for the theme.

If it's for me, I usually have a photo in mind and start with that.

For challenges, I look at the theme first, then work from there.

margje

The O is awesOme
It depends on the layout! For a CT I look for a photo to match! If I scrap for a challenge or for myself or family I start with a photo!

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I usually start with a kit...
I am a bridge user and this is how I choose my papers and elements .

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Most of my LOs are for CT work so I start with the kit. I like to open a jpeg of the kit/bundle in the photo bin first, then go looking for photo/s that will work with the theme/colors. I put all of the kit in the photo bin as I don't use 'Place' to add items to the LO... I drag the item from from the photo bin. I usually start with the photo and mask and/or frame, Then build a cluster or two around/near the photo or into a corner. May do stacked elements under the photo at this point. Usually will select the word art/title. Then I add several papers as background, turning them on and off to decide which one works best. I may blend 2 papers together at this point. I will add brushes, scatters, etc in under the photo/mask/frame. Once I have the LO at this point, I decide if I want to add another paper or two under it. Link all together and reduce the size of the LO and then add paper/s. I might angle the LO and the papers under it to make a stacked paper look. Some LOs just need to have the same paper BG paper and add a stroke to the outside edge of the top paper.

When I do an art journaling or fantasy page, I start with the element that I want to be the focus and build the page in a similar fashion from there.

For my own personal LOs, I will start with the photo and find a kit with the right theme/colors.

Amandajk

I start with a new transparent doc, then open everything I want to use- photo(s), paper, elements- even type out journaling or quote and save it all as a .tiff doc. If I can't finish it in one sitting it is there for me to arrange later. Love that.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
If its first thing in the morning then I just sit and stare at my blank Photoshop for what seems like hours LOL. Then I will go and find a photo or a subject that interests me, then the kit. By that time the day is half over and I have barely gotten started. Sure takes me a long time to get a page done and now you know why #crazy

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I don't always start the same way i.e. photo first or kit first, it just depends. What I do for most LOs is drag and drop the products I know I want to use, onto my layout. Then I often drag and drop a few other papers b/c as my design progresses, I might change my mind about the base layer or may want to start blending and moving paper layers around, turning paper layers on and off to fit my LO design. I often drag and drop a few extra elements onto the LO, placing them out of the way, then throughout the process, I decide if I want to use those extra bits, if not I just turn those layers off.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I think it varies. Sometimes I have a kit I want to work with and I start there. Sometimes I start with a photo. Sometimes I start with whatever is needed to meet challenge requirements. I am definitely inconsistent on this. lol

tanteva

Depending on the time of day.... I start with coffee or wine. Just say'n. LOL.

well-looks-like-we-winner-meme.jpg

Norma

Since I'm on various CT teams, I start with their kit. My kits are all in Bridge and I usually always sort the kit with papers first, then flowers, etc. so they are all in order. Then I look thru to see what I'm working with. Then I will go find photos that might go well with the them, colors, etc. I do some changing when I don't like what I've done (which could be a lot...lol) and hopefully end up with something creative and worthy of looking at.

zanthia

CHEERY O
Since almost all of my scrapping is CT-related, I start with the kit and try to find a photo to work with. Once I've got that settled, I open all the papers/elements I think I'll want to use and put them in the photo bin (PSE). I add and subtract pieces depending on how the page is going.

ditto for me - i rely so much on the photo bin to view papers and elements only once the page is somewaht done ,then will look for photo

ClaireG

CHEERY O
Hmm, I am a mix, but mainly I have a photo and then match it to a kit. Sometimes if I am making for a challenge, I will choose the kit first!
I import ALL of my kits into Photoshop Elements Organizer, it is totally time-consuming and I am not advising ANYONE to do this! but I find it therapeutic, then I can pull in everything easily.

DesignsByCRK

Designer
You're my kind of woman :D I don't drink soft drink - i drink coffee in the morning, water all day long, and night time, when I feel like one, I drink wine.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
To be honest I always start with a kit but the first thing I do if the kit has word art is to choose the one I want to use and from there I build my entire layout. Does it look weird? maybe, but I love doing it this way, LoL.

tanteva

To be honest I always start with a kit but the first thing I do if the kit has word art is to choose the one I want to use and from there I build my entire layout. Does it look weird? maybe, but I love doing it this way, LoL.
I love word art and often start with that too ... or a title. poem. lyrics and so on. Words are important to me.