Oscraps

What Else Would You Like To See In This Forum

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Ladies, I would like to know what you would like to see in this area. Is there something you would like to discuss? Or something you would like to do? What are your thoughts?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Does anybody else use Family Search? It's run by The Mormon Church and I've been told that they're SO good at keeping track of tamily history. My Son in law's sisters have actually been to their headquarters to look up histories. He's the one who told me they were so good.

I joined their site quite awhile ago and I just got information about my grandfather - I never knew that his ancestors came from The Netherlands.

agilchrest

Does anybody else use Family Search? It's run by The Mormon Church and I've been told that they're SO good at keeping track of tamily history. My Son in law's sisters have actually been to their headquarters to look up histories. He's the one who told me they were so good.

I joined their site quite awhile ago and I just got information about my grandfather - I never knew that his ancestors came from The Netherlands.
I use FamilySearch all the time in my research. I use the catalog to find microfilm/digitized images of original records.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O

I LOVE Family Search and use it all the time - for the actual records they have filmed and online. Many times I find items here that are not on Ancestry and FindMyPast. That said, just like with the trees at Ancestry, I use the posted family trees and the Ancestral File for CLUES ONLY, and then with a huge grain of salt. Members of the Mormon Church are required to submit either a 3 or 5 generation family tree - I can't remember which and my Mormon cousin is not available to ask at the moment - as part of their on-going faith journey. These are not required to include documentation or proved in any way. Members of the same family will simply copy and paste compounding any errors. It is the same way with the Ancestry trees, indeed, with multitudinous family histories posted on line. They are so rampant it is impossible to get them corrected, especially when the owner absolutely refuses and will not look at the documentation! Don't take me wrong. The trees have their uses to point people in a possible direction they might not explore otherwise, just use them with care.

There are also free records at many of the subscription sites.

Robloz55

I also use Family search all the time in my genealogy. Especially for English and Canadian searching.
Not so much for Scotland, because they own their own records and use a PPV system for people who want to search their records.

Robloz55

I would love to see some Genealogy/Vintage/Heritage Challenges in this forum.

Separate from the main monthly challenges. No prizes necessary.

Ideas can include topics such as - Scrap a story about your parents, your grandparents, your great grandparents, moving to a new country, the old country, World war 1, World war 2, The decade you were born in, etc etc There are so many options.

I would be willing to be a host of this "Challenge" if no-one else wants to do it. Despite me being a newbie here.

LSlycord

Ideas can include topics such as - Scrap a story about your parents, your grandparents, your great grandparents, moving to a new country, the old country, World war 1, World war 2, The decade you were born in, etc etc There are so many options.

I would be willing to be a host of this "Challenge" if no-one else wants to do it. Despite me being a newbie here.
Love this idea Robynne!

Cath

weekly or daily chat. More organizing help (oops haven unzipped in 11 months). More challenge for a beginner

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O

Robynne, this is a mrvelous idea. Why don't you go ahead and take it for a spin for a couple of months and see if it gets some traction.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Robynne, this is a mrvelous idea. Why don't you go ahead and take it for a spin for a couple of months and see if it gets some traction.
Susan, I have created new forum HERE for the challenges, just so they don't get lost within the other threads in this forum.... have fun! and thanks to Robynne in offering to host some challenges. There is an FYI thread in that forum which explains what the challenges are about and also a note to the challenge hosts on what they are responsible for. :)

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Susan, I have created new forum HERE for the challenges, just so they don't get lost within the other threads in this forum.... have fun! and thanks to Robynne in offering to host some challenges. There is an FYI thread in that forum which explains what the challenges are about and also a note to the challenge hosts on what they are responsible for. :)
You are more than wonderful, Ona! Thank you!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
weekly or daily chat. More organizing help (oops haven unzipped in 11 months). More challenge for a beginner
Hi, Cath! Are you talking about heritage/genealogy challenges that will be just amongst ourselves in this forum or about the regular monthly challenges? If genealogy what interests you?

Robloz55

WOW, :D Really?

You guys are wonderful. Thanks Ona.

Ok I will be happy to post at least 2 challenges on 1 September in the new Challenges forum.

I will follow the instructions and let Susan know what the first 2 challenges will be.

What about tracking. Do we need a tracking forum as well?

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
WOW, :D Really?

You guys are wonderful. Thanks Ona.

Ok I will be happy to post at least 2 challenges on 1 September in the new Challenges forum.

I will follow the instructions and let Susan know what the first 2 challenges will be.

What about tracking. Do we need a tracking forum as well?
You are welcome Robynne and I wouldn't worry about a tracking thread, these challenges will be for fun only and no time limit to finish them off so people can just come play whenever they want to in challenge that takes their fancy. :) Have fun! :)