Oscraps

What do you fall asleep to?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
The recent discussion about headphones reminded me of a time in my life when I was listening to cassette tapes of positive affirmations as I fell asleep. I used headphones so as not to bother my husband, or my kids if we were camping or in a hotel. Aside from that, I have fallen asleep to music for as long as I can remember---sometimes the radio, sometimes a playlist of soothing music, most recently an ambient music station on my Pandora app on my phone. I don't use headphones right now, but sleep timer is a must! I tend to wake up more during the night if the music keeps going all night long.

Are you someone who needs sound to fall asleep? Or is silence what you prefer?

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I watch tv off and on all night. I PVR two soap operas and put an episode on the tv with a very low volume so that I can barely hear, I watch for 5-10 min, then start closing my eyes and just listen to the conversation, then I will doze off. If I wake up I put it on again. I sometimes do this 3-4 times a night as I don't stay asleep usually for more than 1-3 hours.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
There was a time when I liked to listen to music to fall asleep, many years ago. Now, I just lie down and turn on the TV, it's holy medicine, it never fails. :kittyscratchnap:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I watch tv off and on all night. I PVR two soap operas and put an episode on the tv with a very low volume so that I can barely hear, I watch for 5-10 min, then start closing my eyes and just listen to the conversation, then I will doze off. If I wake up I put it on again. I sometimes do this 3-4 times a night as I don't stay asleep usually for more than 1-3 hours.

There was a time when I liked to listen to music to fall asleep, many years ago. Now, I just lie down and turn on the TV, it's holy medicine, it never fails. :kittyscratchnap:

If I drift off to sleep while watching TV my first impulse is to try to stay awake so I can finish whatever I was watching, so I don't think that would work for me! I've never used the TV as background noise during the day either, though I know a lot of people do.

Kythe

CHEERY O
According to my doctor one of the worst things you can do before trying to sleep is watch TV or be on a computer. It has something to do with the blue light coming from them. I cannot for the life of me convince my hubby of that and he always complains about not being able to sleep. Go figure.

For me I read. When my eyes start blurring I put down the book turnout the light and I am gone. When the sun sneaks through the blinds in the morning I am up. That means about 6am if not earlier.

Reactions: AZK

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
This may sound crazy, but I do audio books. I borrow one from my library (free) and turn it on. I fall right to sleep!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
This may sound crazy, but I do audio books. I borrow one from my library (free) and turn it on. I fall right to sleep!

I used to do this too! Always a pain the next day to find the spot where you where before you drifted off, though!

According to my doctor one of the worst things you can do before trying to sleep is watch TV or be on a computer. It has something to do with the blue light coming from them. I cannot for the life of me convince my hubby of that and he always complains about not being able to sleep. Go figure.

For me I read. When my eyes start blurring I put down the book turnout the light and I am gone. When the sun sneaks through the blinds in the morning I am up. That means about 6am if not earlier.

I read or play games on my tablet, which has a blue light filter. When I start nodding off is when I put the tablet away and turn to my music.

janedee

I usually read for five to ten minutes, then turn out the light and fall straight to sleep. I wake up pretty much on the dot of 7:00 am most mornings.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
This comment is what got me thinking about falling asleep!
I've had sleep disorder since I was a child. I remember being the only member of the household who was still awake - those were the olden days before the internet. I spent many a night laying up in my window sill (we also had no AC) and just praying that I could go to sleep. Lots of summer nights I would literally cry because I couldn't understand why everybody else was sleeping but me.

Fast forward - had the same problem most of my adult life - I was probably extremely sleep deprived. I went through the listening to tapes on falling asleep - semi successful. It's a horrible thing not being able to go to sleep. Several years ago, I discovered "ddep sleep" music which isn't really music but more tones - as desperate as I was, I jumped on it and started doing searches on Amazon Prime Music (which is about the same as Apple Music) and by golly, there were tons of "tones" for helping people sleep. I put together a play list and there are even "songs" for pain control. I started out by sleeping in my headphones because that was the latest and greatest. When the Air Pods came out, I got those and sleep with one - the ear that's not on the pillow. When and if I wake up in the early morning, I switch "ears" and go right back to sleep.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
My husband and I both have sleep apnea so we fall asleep to the sounds of our cpap machines! I have had difficulty falling asleep in the past but not now. My problem is I don’t make myself go to bed when I should. I always have something I think I need to do first!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
My husband and I both have sleep apnea so we fall asleep to the sounds of our cpap machines! I have had difficulty falling asleep in the past but not now. My problem is I don’t make myself go to bed when I should. I always have something I think I need to do first!
My husband wears one, too and they do make a nice rhythmic sound.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I usually read for five to ten minutes, then turn out the light and fall straight to sleep. I wake up pretty much on the dot of 7:00 am most mornings.
Always the goal, to fall asleep right away!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I've had sleep disorder since I was a child. I remember being the only member of the household who was still awake - those were the olden days before the internet. I spent many a night laying up in my window sill (we also had no AC) and just praying that I could go to sleep. Lots of summer nights I would literally cry because I couldn't understand why everybody else was sleeping but me.

Fast forward - had the same problem most of my adult life - I was probably extremely sleep deprived. I went through the listening to tapes on falling asleep - semi successful. It's a horrible thing not being able to go to sleep. Several years ago, I discovered "ddep sleep" music which isn't really music but more tones - as desperate as I was, I jumped on it and started doing searches on Amazon Prime Music (which is about the same as Apple Music) and by golly, there were tons of "tones" for helping people sleep. I put together a play list and there are even "songs" for pain control. I started out by sleeping in my headphones because that was the latest and greatest. When the Air Pods came out, I got those and sleep with one - the ear that's not on the pillow. When and if I wake up in the early morning, I switch "ears" and go right back to sleep.

My youngest daughter is the same way --- as a teen she would be awake until 3-4am, even though she had to get up for school in a few hours. As a toddler she never took naps, either. Still, she managed to do well in school and at her job.

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
On most days I don't use anything... I used to read but then I realized that if I read a good book I can't stop and then even if I do stop, I keep thinking about the story which really messes up with my sleep. So I'll just spend 10-15 min going through my IG feed or reading a short article on National Geographic or looking at recipes for the next day... Or playing a simple game like Sudoku of Majong... Or sometimes, just taking a shower and going through my face care routine is enough to make me feel all cozy and long for my pillow. So I guess I do have a bedtime ritual of sorts....

anke55

CHEERY O
I use my kindle and don't usually last very long. I guess the latest books are a little boring lol. I have had books that I wasn't able to put down and wound up reading til the morning hours, but not so much anymore. My problem is that my mind wakes up as soon as I put the phone down and I start rummaging over problems, ugh.... sleep is a wonderful commodity!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O

I can see how a CPAP can have the same effect as a white noise unit. I have a bad habit of staying up later than I should too!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I read for a while and then pop in headphones and listen to podcasts or an audiobook. I set the timer for 30 minutes and rarely make it to the end still awake.

LSlycord

I just fall asleep most nights when my pillow hits the head. Occasionally I can't sleep but I bet that happens no more frequently than once every two weeks. My problem is that I sleep really well until about 2 or 3 and then I'm wide awake. Although the best sleep medicine for me is having both kids under our roof. I have somewhere between 6 and 7 weeks before Sydney goes back to school so I have a bit of good sleep left. I hope.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I just fall asleep most nights when my pillow hits the head. Occasionally I can't sleep but I bet that happens no more frequently than once every two weeks. My problem is that I sleep really well until about 2 or 3 and then I'm wide awake. Although the best sleep medicine for me is having both kids under our roof. I have somewhere between 6 and 7 weeks before Sydney goes back to school so I have a bit of good sleep left. I hope.

There's a lot to be said for not worrying about your offspring!

On most days I don't use anything... I used to read but then I realized that if I read a good book I can't stop and then even if I do stop, I keep thinking about the story which really messes up with my sleep. So I'll just spend 10-15 min going through my IG feed or reading a short article on National Geographic or looking at recipes for the next day... Or playing a simple game like Sudoku of Majong... Or sometimes, just taking a shower and going through my face care routine is enough to make me feel all cozy and long for my pillow. So I guess I do have a bedtime ritual of sorts....

I had a Mahjongg game I played for a while but it was a timed game, so it was too stressful for bedtime. Now my favorite game is a nonogram called Cross Me. No pressure, I can pick up where I left off the next day.

zanthia

CHEERY O
I have my sound machine on and I listen to Deep Sleep music all night.
never seen a sound machine that plays music. my very first sound machine could have the radio and sound on the same time but never ever have seen that again. I have seen sound machines with radio but it is one or the other. need a separate radio to do both together

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Although the best sleep medicine for me is having both kids under our roof. I have somewhere between 6 and 7 weeks before Sydney goes back to school so I have a bit of good sleep left. I hope.
Isn't that the truth?? :giggle4:
Don't you wish you could bank that sleep now for when you know you are going to have sleepless nights in the future?