Oscraps

Travelers notebooks

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
Anyone doing hybrid travelers notebooks? I’d love to try it, but not sure how…I’m totally new to hybrid

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
They look really neat but I never made one. I looked online and there are some videos available and some websites. I'm hoping there are some scrappers here that can help with samples as well. They would be awesome to see! Good luck on your new project!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I have several Traveler's Notebooks. I absolutely LOVE them, and I use them like little scrapbooks. What are you unsure about, Sonja? I have a Pinterest Board of Traveler's Notebooks.

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
I
I have several Traveler's Notebooks. I absolutely LOVE them, and I use them like little scrapbooks. What are you unsure about, Sonja? I have a Pinterest Board of Traveler's Notebooks.
i always made them completely digital, and then just printed them out and stapled everything together. I’d love to get a bit more crafty, but do not really know how to turn this into a real hybrid project.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I

i always made them completely digital, and then just printed them out and stapled everything together. I’d love to get a bit more crafty, but do not really know how to turn this into a real hybrid project.
I do quite a bit of mine digitally then print them out, but I also have pictures printed and then use a tape runner to put them in my pages. I have lots of "bits and bobs" from my paper scrapping days that I use in my TN books, too. I don't like to make them too bulky, because they get too thick, but a lot of my embellishments are flat. Tim Holtz makes lots of cute flat elements.

For my Document Your December books that I've done for the last few years, I format my pages to 4x6, then make them digitally and get them printed at Walgreen's at the end of the month. Since my TN pages are 8" long, I tape (use a tape runner) my 4x6 pictures at the top and that leaves me a couple of inches to document what each page is about. That's just one of the things I do. I use the "inserts" for each year, then put them in the leather "books".

Another thing that I do is make a digital cover for each insert with the date on it. They're really cute.

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
I have a box full of washi @Cherylndesigns , and all sort of fysical scrapbboking/art journaling stuff Which I haven’t used in years. So it would be nice to combine digital with my paper scrapbooking stuff. You can see my digital TN pages here in the gallery

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I have a box full of washi @Cherylndesigns , and all sort of fysical scrapbboking/art journaling stuff Which I haven’t used in years. So it would be nice to combine digital with my paper scrapbooking stuff. You can see my digital TN pages here in the gallery
Sounds like have lots of "stuff" that you can use to make your pages more "hybrid". Here's a link to my Pinterest TN board - I need to update it - plus I have pinned a few from others at the bottom for my inspiration. https://www.pinterest.com/cheryldesn/travel-notebooks/

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
@svanderhaegen Sonja, take a look through our Mixed Media forum as well, you will find a few projects that people have worked on that could be adapted to a TN no doubt. I use various sizes of art journals to work in, using physical hands on type mediums like paint, gesso, collage work, etc etc. I would love to do more hybrid but my problem is that I only have an ink jet printer which means I can't use anything 'moist' over the top as it will smear the ink. :( I am saving my pennies to buy my self a laser printer! :)

Amandajk

@svanderhaegen Sonja, take a look through our Mixed Media forum as well, you will find a few projects that people have worked on that could be adapted to a TN no doubt. I use various sizes of art journals to work in, using physical hands on type mediums like paint, gesso, collage work, etc etc. I would love to do more hybrid but my problem is that I only have an ink jet printer which means I can't use anything 'moist' over the top as it will smear the ink. :( I am saving my pennies to buy my self a laser printer! :)
Did you know, Ona that a can of Artist's Fixative can solve that issue. It "sets" the ink, but also keeps the paper "workable". :D

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Did you know, Ona that a can of Artist's Fixative can solve that issue. It "sets" the ink, but also keeps the paper "workable". :D
Thanks Amanda, yes I have tried three different ones, but I just couldn't tolerate the smell of the chemicals, even days after I used it. :( I ended up giving them away so that someone could get some use out of them. Even tried hairspray which worked a little bit, okay if I put the gesso on quickly without moving it around too much............. once again the smell has remained, not as bad as the fixative though. Apparently there is an odor free hairspray but I can't seem to find it anything like that down here in Australia. :) The fixatives weren't cheap and from memory they were around the $20 - $25 mark so in hindsight the cost could have gone towards a laser printer!! lol!! :)

Amandajk

Thanks Amanda, yes I have tried three different ones, but I just couldn't tolerate the smell of the chemicals, even days after I used it. :( ...
YES, that is definitely the drawback. I have a window and ceiling fan in my studio, otherwise...
Apparently there is an odor free hairspray but I can't seem to find it anything like that down here in Australia. :)
I haven't had great success with hairspray, as you never can tell which brand will "yellow" or leave a color cast. Some don't, but some do.

The fixatives weren't cheap and from memory they were around the $20 - $25 mark so in hindsight the cost could have gone towards a laser printer!! lol!! :)
Oh wow, that is very expensive!! Here they are $6-8 a can, and I've had my can for 5 years, LOL!!! It was $4.00 when I purchased it. And if you can swing it, I would certainly go for the laser printer!!! Me, I would keep both, because there are things one can do with inkjet that laser can't do and vice versa. Hooray for the day when your new printer comes home!

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
@svanderhaegen I have a couple different TN size albums/journals. My favorite album is from citrus twist, it's a binder. (I will also admit that I've bought the binder portion and plan on trying my hand at making my own album with it one of these days).

For my art journaling, I do use various different types of albums, but I do have a true traveler notebook album that I love, the only drawback that I have to "non" binder type of TN albums is it kinda cramps my 3d approach.

Just like digital scrapping, my hands on approach to scrapbooking or AJ, I do like to add dimension which can prevent an album from lying flat.

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
For the record, I feel that almost anything flies with hybrid. Use of die cuts, washi tape, paints, stickers, hand journaling, stamping, ribbons, staples... I could keep on listing, but it might take me a minute to go through my craft room. LOL.