Oscraps

Starting a new layout

LSlycord

I have a more literal response to your question. I start out every layout with a "paper". I have a 12x12 orange textured paper that I have save in PSCC with all the settings pre set. I open up the orange paper and then build on it, like it is a foundation. Then, most of the time, I just delete that layer when I'm done. It's not anything amazing, but since it is colored already I'm not faced with the blank page fear.
I love this idea! What an easy trick to get you started!

LSlycord

Lately I've been doing challenges. So I read the instructions and then search for photos that would match with that theme. I work backwards. Current to past. Kits are chosen for the theme. I mostly search for dog kits, season or month kits. I also like art journaling and craft kits. I have triplets G/B/G so any kit really works for them. They are teenagers now. I do like to tell the story though on the page so you will see some type of journaling on my pages. I also like to write poetry so you will see that from time to time on my pages too.
I'm like you...I always feel that I need to tell a story so most of my layouts have some amount of journaling!

Kythe

I pretty much follow the same path as Kay(Bright Eyes) as I too have been scrapping as a CT for a long time.
Most often it is the colour palette of a kit that attracts me first then I search for one of the gazillion photos I have that the palette would complement. (I use public Domain sites to find images that appeal.)
I am a big fan of photo masks rather than a frame. I find them too restrictive. I used to work with templates but as I became more experienced and learned to structure a page on my own, I didn't need to depend on them. I rarely use them now.

Something to try:
As you work with your template make a note of how it is structured. Complete a page using the template. Then put it away and try to create the same layout composition without the template using a different kit. I bet you will find that you can work without the template just fine. It doesn't have to be a perfect replica... it may even be better.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
Ana - it seems like oyu have such a n easy time creating pages - as just about all the pages i do are ct work i start with the kit/template . As i dont have any decent personal photos , i use stock photos or photos form photgrpahers i have prmission ot use and that is done last to match the page. And from a kit i start with papers.
Oh, you are just like me ... no decent photos of my own, LoL!! thanks for sharing. xoxo

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
Lately I've been doing challenges. So I read the instructions and then search for photos that would match with that theme. I work backwards. Current to past. Kits are chosen for the theme. I mostly search for dog kits, season or month kits. I also like art journaling and craft kits. I have triplets G/B/G so any kit really works for them. They are teenagers now. I do like to tell the story though on the page so you will see some type of journaling on my pages. I also like to write poetry so you will see that from time to time on my pages too.
This is one of the things I´m most scared of in a layout ... the journaling. I wish I could have an easy write. Thank you for sharing. xoxo

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I pretty much follow the same path as Kay(Bright Eyes) as I too have been scrapping as a CT for a long time.
Most often it is the colour palette of a kit that attracts me first then I search for one of the gazillion photos I have that the palette would complement. (I use public Domain sites to find images that appeal.)
I am a big fan of photo masks rather than a frame. I find them too restrictive. I used to work with templates but as I became more experienced and learned to structure a page on my own, I didn't need to depend on them. I rarely use them now.

Something to try:
As you work with your template make a note of how it is structured. Complete a page using the template. Then put it away and try to create the same layout composition without the template using a different kit. I bet you will find that you can work without the template just fine. It doesn't have to be a perfect replica... it may even be better.
Wow, I share your preference for masks instead of frames, I totally agree with you. Thanks for sharing. xoxo