Oscraps

Starting a new layout

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I have a question for you. How do you guys start a layout? I always have a hard time unless I use a template, which is rare. Do you start with a word art, with a photo? a paper? with what? please inspire me. TIA for all contributions.

Last edited:

tjscraps

I usually am inspired either by a kit or by a photo. If it's a kit I will play with the kit and put everything on it that I want, then find a photo to go with it later. More often I start with the photo and a story and then find a kit to go with it, and go from there. I love templates though too!

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
If it is a kit that I specifically want or need to scrap I look through the kit carefully and formulate ideas. Then I decide what in the kit I want to focus on, if anything. I decide whether it is photo page or not. If it is, then I put the photo on the paper and work around it and decide where to place it. Sometimes I use a template, and at times, I will look at templates for design ideas, not use them. I often look to see ideas that other people have used if I can.

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I mostly scrap family albums so it used to be fairly straighforward - start with photos, think about thejournaling and choose the kit that fits. Since I got on CTs, this has changed and I now start with the kit I need to work with and try to fit the theme/colors into my albums, which has now led to my having SEVEN year albums in various stages of completion (not a singl one beyond 20%... lol). I have also become more playful with my hobby (aka less driven) and I enjoy creating 'just for fun' art journaling layouts - those are always inspired by the kit on hand.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I'm no help at all, Ana - I use all of these methods. It just depends. I love to use templates though I seldom use them exactly as they are. Here of late, I have my photos in mind and go looking for what works, but I've been really into art journaling, too. Sigh, no help at all!

LSlycord

I nearly always start with a kit. I rarely mix kits...although I have been thinking that I need to get a collection of a few things that can be pulled in no matter the kit…like frames and stitches and staples…

This is a great thread. I find it so interesting to hear what others do. Thanks @AnaSantos for starting it.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I usually am inspired either by a kit or by a photo. If it's a kit I will play with the kit and put everything on it that I want, then find a photo to go with it later. More often I start with the photo and a story and then find a kit to go with it, and go from there. I love templates though too!
Most of the time I also start with the kit leaving the photo for the end.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
If it is a kit that I specifically want or need to scrap I look through the kit carefully and formulate ideas. Then I decide what in the kit I want to focus on, if anything. I decide whether it is photo page or not. If it is, then I put the photo on the paper and work around it and decide where to place it. Sometimes I use a template, and at times, I will look at templates for design ideas, not use them. I often look to see ideas that other people have used if I can.
Sounds like a fantastic idea to me Sharon. I will try this way of yours. Thanks!!

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I mostly scrap family albums so it used to be fairly straighforward - start with photos, think about thejournaling and choose the kit that fits. Since I got on CTs, this has changed and I now start with the kit I need to work with and try to fit the theme/colors into my albums, which has now led to my having SEVEN year albums in various stages of completion (not a singl one beyond 20%... lol). I have also become more playful with my hobby (aka less driven) and I enjoy creating 'just for fun' art journaling layouts - those are always inspired by the kit on hand.
Wow, Olga!! seven albums is too many. You'll have to work hard to finish them. I know you will.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I'm no help at all, Ana - I use all of these methods. It just depends. I love to use templates though I seldom use them exactly as they are. Here of late, I have my photos in mind and go looking for what works, but I've been really into art journaling, too. Sigh, no help at all!
Don´t say that Susan, you where a great help! xx

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I nearly always start with a kit. I rarely mix kits...although I have been thinking that I need to get a collection of a few things that can be pulled in no matter the kit…like frames and stitches and staples…

This is a great thread. I find it so interesting to hear what others do. Thanks @AnaSantos for starting it.
Thank you so much for your contribution, Linda! I love the idea of having a collection of things that can easily fit in any layout, cool. And I agree with you, I´m loving to hear about what others do too. xx

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Most of my layouts are done for CT work... so I start with the kit/collection/template. I look over the collection to get an idea of what theme I want to use with it. Then I look for photo/s that have similar colors and/or theme. I have collections of photos but if I don't have one that will work... I look at some of the free stock photo places.

I usually start with some elements and photo/s to see which one/s will work well together. If I am going to use a photo mask/frame - I select them at this point. I build clusters/elements around the photo/s. I usually add shadows now - paying close attention to the light source in the photo/s. If I have more than one photo... I make sure the light source is similar in them. Sometimes I will flip a photo and light source so that the shadows on the elements will show better.... this can be critical if the elements/clusters are layered under the photo. I usually add title, word art, accents, overlays, etc at this point. Then I add several papers in the background and click to show/hide each paper to decide which paper works best. I am amazed sometimes at the paper that works the best. Then I play around moving/adding accents, overlays, etc around until I am pleased with how it looks.

For a paper stacked LO... I will link everything in the layout together then reduce size and rotate it at an angle. Then play with adding papers underneath the main LO.

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
When I look at your designs Ana, it seems li.ke it's always a piece of cake for you ;)

Usually I start by choosing a paper, then I look for a photo, sometimes I change the photo. And for the rest it depends on the kit I work with, I like to use overlays and clusters (sometimes I make them myself) I usually save the wordart for last

newbie2digi

I have a more literal response to your question. I start out every layout with a "paper". I have a 12x12 orange textured paper that I have save in PSCC with all the settings pre set. I open up the orange paper and then build on it, like it is a foundation. Then, most of the time, I just delete that layer when I'm done. It's not anything amazing, but since it is colored already I'm not faced with the blank page fear.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I always select the elements from a kit that I like best, and start playing with that. Photos are no requirement for me but if I use one that is usually the next step. and often the last step is choosing a background paper.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Wow @BrightEyes, I feel like I just learned a whole bunch from reading your comment.

Thanks, Linda. I have been doing CT work for years and have learned a lot over time. I used to start with paper but found over time that I do better waiting to add paper/s until I have the basics set for the page first. Having said that, I admit that sometimes a paper grabs my creative mojo first.. .then I work with the paper and add things that enhance the paper. I am used to working on a transparent background now. If I really can't see how well the elements/photo/mask look, I will add a temporary white layer underneath.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
Most of my layouts are done for CT work... so I start with the kit/collection/template. I look over the collection to get an idea of what theme I want to use with it. Then I look for photo/s that have similar colors and/or theme. I have collections of photos but if I don't have one that will work... I look at some of the free stock photo places.

I usually start with some elements and photo/s to see which one/s will work well together. If I am going to use a photo mask/frame - I select them at this point. I build clusters/elements around the photo/s. I usually add shadows now - paying close attention to the light source in the photo/s. If I have more than one photo... I make sure the light source is similar in them. Sometimes I will flip a photo and light source so that the shadows on the elements will show better.... this can be critical if the elements/clusters are layered under the photo. I usually add title, word art, accents, overlays, etc at this point. Then I add several papers in the background and click to show/hide each paper to decide which paper works best. I am amazed sometimes at the paper that works the best. Then I play around moving/adding accents, overlays, etc around until I am pleased with how it looks.

For a paper stacked LO... I will link everything in the layout together then reduce size and rotate it at an angle. Then play with adding papers underneath the main LO.
Wow, Kate!! this makes me think that I have so, so much to learn. Thanks you so much for sharing your way of work. I will definitely take your contibution in consideration. xx

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
When I look at your designs Ana, it seems li.ke it's always a piece of cake for you ;)

Usually I start by choosing a paper, then I look for a photo, sometimes I change the photo. And for the rest it depends on the kit I work with, I like to use overlays and clusters (sometimes I make them myself) I usually save the wordart for last
LoL, Vera!! they may look like a piece of cake but sometimes they took me a whole afternoon or a few days, it depends on the delivery date to complete a layout. I never deliver a layout I'm not fully satisfied with. I just love what you said about the WA because sometimes it is my starting point. xx

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I have a more literal response to your question. I start out every layout with a "paper". I have a 12x12 orange textured paper that I have save in PSCC with all the settings pre set. I open up the orange paper and then build on it, like it is a foundation. Then, most of the time, I just delete that layer when I'm done. It's not anything amazing, but since it is colored already I'm not faced with the blank page fear.
Wow, that is something really new to me, thank you for sharing. I´m not really afraid of the white space, I always follow the rule of a special wizened guy "less is more", so I like to start my layout with a white page ... always. xx

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
The first thing I do is look at the whole kit; that way I can decide what kind of layout I'm going to do - AJ, for instance.

If I have a specific picture I want to use, then I look at the paper next, for the background. Sometimes I change them out later, but it gives me a starting point.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
As most of my pages are CT work, I mostly start with a kit so I look at the colors, the theme, look at elements and brushes to see if it brings a photo to mind, a specific season, event, etc. I start by dragging a few papers that catch my eye onto my layout and then turn the layers off until I decide which I want to use which I'll decide on as I get further into the page design. I also drag some elements onto the page I know I would like to use and put them up on a corner, away from the area I want to start building on. Then I'll either drag and place them in position on my page or delete them if I decide I don't want to use them.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I start where the inspiration is. Sometimes it's a photo I want to scrap, sometimes a quote, sometimes a specific element/wordart/paper/whatever. I love using templates, and I think they are a great way to get my mojo back if I need a kick in the butt to get my scrapping done.

If I should guess ... I think photos are the most common start for my layouts.

scrap-genie

Photos are usually where I start, but I pick a paper as the base and work from there. Many times that paper isn't in the final LO. As I don't do CT work I don't focus on kits and mostly pick from several or many as my design develops.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
The first thing I do is look at the whole kit; that way I can decide what kind of layout I'm going to do - AJ, for instance.

If I have a specific picture I want to use, then I look at the paper next, for the background. Sometimes I change them out later, but it gives me a starting point.
Wow, thanks!! great ideas.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
As most of my pages are CT work, I mostly start with a kit so I look at the colors, the theme, look at elements and brushes to see if it brings a photo to mind, a specific season, event, etc. I start by dragging a few papers that catch my eye onto my layout and then turn the layers off until I decide which I want to use which I'll decide on as I get further into the page design. I also drag some elements onto the page I know I would like to use and put them up on a corner, away from the area I want to start building on. Then I'll either drag and place them in position on my page or delete them if I decide I don't want to use them.
Thanks, Rae!! sometimes I do the same with the papers, drag them and turn off the layers, LoL. xx

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I start where the inspiration is. Sometimes it's a photo I want to scrap, sometimes a quote, sometimes a specific element/wordart/paper/whatever. I love using templates, and I think they are a great way to get my mojo back if I need a kick in the butt to get my scrapping done.

If I should guess ... I think photos are the most common start for my layouts.
Thanks, Eva!! sometimes I like to use templates too and for the same reason, LoL. The problem is that I´m slower with a template, don´t know why.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
Photos are usually where I start, but I pick a paper as the base and work from there. Many times that paper isn't in the final LO. As I don't do CT work I don't focus on kits and mostly pick from several or many as my design develops.
Thank you for your contribution. This is a very interesting way of scrapping, being focus on the photo and not having to use a specific kit gives you more liberty to create. Enjoy!

zanthia

CHEERY O
Ana - it seems like oyu have such a n easy time creating pages - as just about all the pages i do are ct work i start with the kit/template . As i dont have any decent personal photos , i use stock photos or photos form photgrpahers i have prmission ot use and that is done last to match the page. And from a kit i start with papers.

mom2triplets04

Lately I've been doing challenges. So I read the instructions and then search for photos that would match with that theme. I work backwards. Current to past. Kits are chosen for the theme. I mostly search for dog kits, season or month kits. I also like art journaling and craft kits. I have triplets G/B/G so any kit really works for them. They are teenagers now. I do like to tell the story though on the page so you will see some type of journaling on my pages. I also like to write poetry so you will see that from time to time on my pages too.