Oscraps

Soooooo....we got a new puppy!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Charlie is so cute!!! He'll settle in, it takes some time.

We had a terrible time when we first rescued Whisky. She was a street dog and had a lot of resources guarding issues and the two of them would fight and bite. Each other and us. Now they are inseparable.
One thing that I didn't know previously is that it is not uncommon for the rivalries to reappear after 6 months. That took us by surprise and we weren't sure if we were going to rehome W at that point. We went back to some of the earlier transitioning steps and it resolved itself.

Can't wait to see lots and lots of photos!
Thank you so much for the encouragement, Chris! Are there special steps you took to get them to get along? We have been hesitant to be too hard on Molly because she is missing Rocky and she is eight. However, she gets pretty mean and bites Charlie a lot. He doesn't bit her. He just wants to play.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Why is it that it's always the sweet, innocent looking ones that chew the cable. He really does look like a sweetheart. The heart is an amazing thing, it breaks but the love doesn't leak out, it's a pathway to loving again in a new way.
Thank you so much, Jeanne for the sweet words. Yes, we will always love and miss Rocky. He was a bigger than life personality and such an amazing fur baby. He will always have a special place in our hearts and will always be loved. Our hearts just stretched a bit more to add love for a new pup.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Charlie is adorable. Hopefully, he and Molly will soon be fast friends.

Maybe this story will provide a little hope. When we brought Inuyasha home, our cat Coco made a sound I had never before. He was clearly very displeased. Eventually, the two of them had the best relationship I've ever seen between a cat and a dog. They loved each other.
Thank you so much, Cindy and thank you so much for the encouraging story about your own sweet fur babies. Molly does seem like she is growling less at Charlie each day so maybe things are moving in the right direction!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Evelyn, we kept a baby gate up to separate them at first but that didn't work because Whisky was able to jump the baby gate. We kept her crated if we couldn't be watching them and we always kept a short leash on W when they were together.
Feeding them was difficult so we would feed Jaida on one area of the LR and Whisky in the DR. We made W sit/stay before she was allowed to eat. Same thing with toys.
We watched their body language closely. I admit it was difficult and stressful but in the end, worth it.

Like I said, W was a street dog and had no socialization so we had to go really slowly. We had an older dog at the time too but they never had issues, it was just her and Jaida.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh, one other thing-- the nipping and snapping is normal. That is Molly's way of telling him to back off. When that is happening, let them do their thing, they will work it out.
When they are truly fighting-- which can come about quickly- and they are using teeth/breaking skin, you have to step in calmly and pull them from behind. Grasp onto the collar and pull up and back gently.
Every instinct is to put yourself between the two of them and shriek but that isn't helpful and is dangerous.
(PS: Ask me how I know ;) )
I know that is the worst thing to do and if I could take a guess, we did it wrong 99% of the time.

Hopefully, you won't ever need to deal with this scenario but better to be prepared than not.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Oh yes, I remember the puppy stage well. Charlie is so cute! Even if they never become best buds they will become family and all part of the pack. My two spend a lot of time apart but they love each other and after Remi got out of the puppy stage then they started hanging out more. It can take some time.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Evelyn, we kept a baby gate up to separate them at first but that didn't work because Whisky was able to jump the baby gate. We kept her crated if we couldn't be watching them and we always kept a short leash on W when they were together.
Feeding them was difficult so we would feed Jaida on one area of the LR and Whisky in the DR. We made W sit/stay before she was allowed to eat. Same thing with toys.
We watched their body language closely. I admit it was difficult and stressful but in the end, worth it.

Like I said, W was a street dog and had no socialization so we had to go really slowly. We had an older dog at the time too but they never had issues, it was just her and Jaida.
Those are some great ideas, Chris! Thank you so much! It is great to know that it is something that is do-able. The puppy still naps a lot so that does give Molly a reprieve from him wanting to play with her constantly!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Oh, one other thing-- the nipping and snapping is normal. That is Molly's way of telling him to back off. When that is happening, let them do their thing, they will work it out.
When they are truly fighting-- which can come about quickly- and they are using teeth/breaking skin, you have to step in calmly and pull them from behind. Grasp onto the collar and pull up and back gently.
Every instinct is to put yourself between the two of them and shriek but that isn't helpful and is dangerous.
(PS: Ask me how I know ;) )
I know that is the worst thing to do and if I could take a guess, we did it wrong 99% of the time.

Hopefully, you won't ever need to deal with this scenario but better to be prepared than not.
That is great to know! So far, it's just Molly biting Charley. He wants to play but she isn't having it. Plus, he is a lot bigger than her and he is only 16 weeks old. His mom was a German Shepherd but we don't know what his dad is. We are going to have a DNA test run when we go to our Vet's office on Monday. We are thinking he is going to be pretty big.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Oh yes, I remember the puppy stage well. Charlie is so cute! Even if they never become best buds they will become family and all part of the pack. My two spend a lot of time apart but they love each other and after Remi got out of the puppy stage then they started hanging out more. It can take some time.
It's good to know that things will eventually calm down as far as their behavior is concerned! She was raised, since she was five weeks old, with our dog Rocky that we just lost. I know it is hard on her that he is gone and now she has a yippy puppy to deal with!

A-M

Charlie, looks a sweet dog and how good of you to buy a rescue dog. I hope by now that Molly has become friends with Charlie.