Oscraps

Practicing self care

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
As women, I know that we have a tendency to put everyone else first and if (that's a big IF) we have any time or energy left over, we might do something for ourselves. But, not very often.

I'm really bad about just spending every waking moment working or eating. I am struggling with really and truly relaxing. Since my health crisis last year, I feel a big time pressure. I feel like I have to be on all the time and meet other's expectations. I imagine, my own expectations are probably higher than anyone else's for me, but it's an issue.

I've added meditation to work on this and I definitely think it's helped. No, I KNOW it's helped, but I'm not "there" yet. I really need to get a handle on this.

So, tell me, how do you practice self care?

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I try to take a few quiet moments throughout the day to breath slowly, deeply and steadily and clear my head. I tend to take on too much to do and then panic a bit about getting it all accomplished. I start to breath too shallowly and quickly when stressed but am aware of it and trying to take action. I also try to stretch and do pilates to unwind my body. I want to learn yoga and will go to an instructor sometime soon.

SharLamb

Sharron
Perfect timing. DH and I have committed to making a major change in our lifestyle. Thanks to encouragement from Rae (bcgal00 ^ above) and Trudy (Taxedforever), we are changing over to the Keto eating method. Less than a week on it, and we are finding the food delicious (not feeling at all deprived), have both already felt a boost in energy, my edema is dissipating without the use of diuretics, we're both sleeping better, and more. AND! We don't feel hungry except when it's time to eat! Instead of dreading going in for blood testing for "numbers," I'm looking forward to it for the first time in 30-some years. THANKS RAE AND TRUDY!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Vicki- self-care? Wass 'at?:noidea:

This is one big are that I really need to work on. Really. I love the Insight Timer app, but I don't do much else in the way of care.

Shar! That is great news!

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Self care is a hard thing to do! Like you said Vicki we tend to always want to take care of everyone else in our lives first!! I think that your idea of meditation is a great start!! I truly believe that yoga helps as well and I am also going to try to get back into that! I love to go to the pool and swim laps, it relaxes me and I feel so good when I am in the water! (must have been a fish in another life) LOL. Even just getting out for a walk by myself is a great way to destress. Nature has a calming effect on the mind! I had to learn to take care of myself better when my daughter was first ill. It took a lot out of me caring for her everyday and I got burnt out! How can you care for someone else when you don't care for yourself?

Oh and Sharron I am so happy for you that you are already seeing some positive results, keep up the great work!! :hug:

felis

I need to be more strict in my skin care. I have whole self with cosmetic, but I skip to use it daily.

Also my sister found that is more effective if training at home, than in fitness. In YouTube have a wonderful channels that can successful to replace an instructor and can focus on the exercise without unwanted interest from men.

But I'm agree with Vicki, it's so difficult to find a time for self care, I often feels like my day is shorter than to the others people.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Shar, I just started keto today. It went well so far. I've attempted it several times in the past and didn't go high fat enough so I wasn't successful. I'm planning to really play close attention to that this time. I put 25+ pounds on over the last year and my diet is atrocious so maybe we can support each other on this.

Felis - you might be on to something that some people's days are shorter than others lol

SharLamb

Sharron
Oh Vicki! I'm so excited for you. My very first diet, when I was about 20 and had shot all the way up to a size 12 (being sarcastic here) was Atkins. I would fry up a weiner in the company lunchroom, and people couldn't believe I was dieting. It WORKED! But in the long run it failed because I thought of it as a DIET. And I have done EVERY diet out there in the 50 years since. Only NOW I'm a size 20/22/24! Every meal we've eaten so far has been AWESOME. We're not going around hungry all the time, and we get full way faster than we've ever gotten full before. We haven't craved any sweets or breads, and we really haven't even experienced the "Keto Flu." But we've only been Keto-ites for a week. Maybe that will come. I also just bought a Spiralizer, and love the zuccini "spaghetti" it makes. Seriously!!!! Up until now, I thought zuccini was strictly for bread. I also got one of those gadgets you put cream into, then squeeze the handle and whipped cream comes out. For some reason it tastes better than cream you whip yourself, and it doesn't need sweetener added (got it at Costco, where I also get the cream!).

Rae and Trudy are doing it too. Sounds like we have a "group!" I love talking about it, so I'll be responding any time it's mentioned. I've been afraid of boring Rae and Trudy to death. I'm reading everything I can, and watching YouTube videos. Rae is doing some, and she is so cute...as WELL as being a good presenter. I found another gal today I think is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhj5v2NIwFU (Keto With Kristi). She has an incredible testimony...is very inspiring.

Tonight's conversation between Dave and me: "I'm not feeling hungry, but I guess I'd better put dinner on." Yeh, I guess. I'm not hungry either. Let's wait awhile." (dinner took about 30 minutes total...prep and oven time)

This is after we've been working HARD all day putting our house back together after getting new carpeting installed yesterday!

PS: Having evening snacks hasn't even crossed our minds!

Let's just DO IT!

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
Wow Sharron a low carb Nanaimo Bar recipe!! Awesome I can make this as a very special treat at Christmas now!! Thanks for the link! Oh and BTW you will never bore us with talking Keto, we love our new way of eating and are always willing to talk about it!! :love:

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
Welcome to the club Momma O!! We should be able to support each other very well here! I hope you enjoy your new Way of Eating as much as I do!!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
That's awesome Shar! I'm going to check out those links.

I think we need to start threads for what we are eating. It might help others with variety/ideas etc.

SharLamb

Sharron
That's awesome Shar! I'm going to check out those links.

I think we need to start threads for what we are eating. It might help others with variety/ideas etc.

LOVE that idea. Today is our 48th anniversary and we celebrated with a fabulous crustless quiche. Tonight we're going for dinner to a great steakhouse near us....hello medium rare ribeye!

Last edited by a moderator: