Oscraps

Newsprint setting in PSE 2020

digiscrapper

Pictures, please
I am making heritage pages using a lot of newspaper clippings. On my first page a setting appeared that set the proper exposure for the newsprint. Now that I am on my second page, I can't find that setting in any of the drop down menus. How can I access this option?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I am making heritage pages using a lot of newspaper clippings. On my first page a setting appeared that set the proper exposure for the newsprint. Now that I am on my second page, I can't find that setting in any of the drop down menus. How can I access this option?
Wow, I didn't know there was a setting for newsprint. Do you happen to have one of those new scanner apps on your phone? I scan a lot of newspaper clippings (even really old ones and they scan better than the original. Then I import them into my pictures. I use My Scans - it's not free, but it's excellent.

digiscrapper

Pictures, please
Cheryl, my problem is with articles that I got from old newspaper clippings from Newspapers.com. I am so old school that I use my flatbed scanner. These are already digital files that I need to clean up, make the background lighter and the print sharper and darker. I need to learn to use my iPhone for more purposes, so thanks for the scanning tip.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Cheryl, my problem is with articles that I got from old newspaper clippings from Newspapers.com. I am so old school that I use my flatbed scanner. These are already digital files that I need to clean up, make the background lighter and the print sharper and darker. I need to learn to use my iPhone for more purposes, so thanks for the scanning tip.
Hi there! :) If you want to Cheryl to see your post, either use the Reply button to chat to her or tag her by typing @ followed by at least the first three letters of her username........... using either of these methods will send her an alert that her name has been tagged or replied to. Love how this new forum now allows us to do this. :)

As for your newspaper clipping question about PSE, @Vicki Robinson may know how to do this, I haven't used PSE for ages and can't remember that option in the older versions. :)

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I'm not sure what you are referring to. Do you mean there was something in your scanner that set the exposure? Or do you meam something in Photoshop Elements? There is nothing I know of in PSE that pops up automatically, so I'm pretty sure that message came from your scanner software.

Last edited:

digiscrapper

Pictures, please
I'm not sure what you are referring to. Do you mean there was something in your scanner that set the exposure? Or do you meam something in Photoshop Elements? There is nothing I know of in PSE that pops up automatically, so I'm pretty sure that message came from your scanner software.
I didn't use a scanner. I simply imported a digital newspaper article from Newspapers.com.Somewhere in PSE a box opened that allowed me to click on a portrait setting, a newsprint setting and two other options. If I make a levels option to lighten my paper, it also lightens my text. This newspaper setting lightened the background and sharpened the text.

digiscrapper

Pictures, please

Vicki Robinson

Designer
I didn't use a scanner. I simply imported a digital newspaper article from Newspapers.com.Somewhere in PSE a box opened that allowed me to click on a portrait setting, a newsprint setting and two other options. If I make a levels option to lighten my paper, it also lightens my text. This newspaper setting lightened the background and sharpened the text.
So when you say “imported from newspaper.com” can you explain exactly how you did that? And what version of PSE are you using? I’ll try to replicate that on my end.

digiscrapper

Pictures, please
AHA! I found it! Under the Enhance menu, there is a "Convert to Black and white." Then then you have a choice of the following styles: Infared Effect, Newspaper, Scenic Landscape, Portraits, Urban/snapshots, or vivid landscapes.

digiscrapper

Pictures, please
Wow, I didn't know there was a setting for newsprint. Do you happen to have one of those new scanner apps on your phone? I scan a lot of newspaper clippings (even really old ones and they scan better than the original. Then I import them into my pictures. I use My Scans - it's not free, but it's excellent.
AHA! I found it! Under the Enhance menu, there is a "Convert to Black and white." Then then you have a choice of the following styles: Infared Effect, Newspaper, Scenic Landscape, Portraits, Urban/snapshots, or vivid landscapes.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Whew! I’m so glad you found it! I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what you found. I was sure it had to do with a b&w conversion, because I’ve used that before! But, you threw everything when you said it “popped up”. Lol! Good job!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
There are several settings for this scanner. If you want them to look "old school" you certainly can! I think it's definitely worth looking into if you're using old newspaper clippings.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I just saw this thread and since I have PSE 2020, I wondered if that was the function you were talking about. I have never had it just pop up for me either, I have to specifically choose it after I open my image. I've never thought to try it for text images, I usually just play around with it for photos. Glad you brought it up and figured it out!