Oscraps

New Computer help

LaurieW

lOve the O!
As you may know my computer died due to old age and too moist in my basement during the dryout. I am hoping my work tech guy can salavage the info on the hard drive,but I nursed this one through 6 years. I think I am due. Life has changed, and I believe that I would be better off with a laptop. Most likely will get through bestbuy as I will be eligible for the extended pay same as cash, and will pay it off. Now- I don't want to spend tons, but do plan on having it for 3-4 years. I currently use photo editor, DIP and fotofusion (mostly this one) for scrapping. Therefore a mac is out right now as those programs are not compatible.

So my question- how much RAM do I need for the future when I can get light room or photoshop? How big of hard drive, any particular processor? I hope to shop on Thursday and would love my Ofam's help!!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I know nothing about laptops. I have an Acer, but thats already a few years old. It has a 17" monitor which is nice for scrapping, but I don't like the color on it.
MIL/FIL both have new Gateways. MIL does a lot with photos for her quilts, and she has been very happy with how it runs.

As for Specs.... I have no idea, but I am sure someone here will be able to help.

hondachicc

Laurie...I am on my 2nd Dell...and I LOVE IT....that doesn't help if you are shopping at Best Buy though....

But it has an Intel processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD

This is has been more than enough for all my scrapbooking/photography needs (keeping in mind the EHD :mrgreen: for storing photos and scrap kits and such) But Lightroom runs fabulously...my computer is a year and half old.

Kiliki

im not a laptop person by any means...but i would make sure you get an actual mouse cause i've tried to do graphic stuff on dh's laptop without it...and omg it was a pain! but i think at LEAST this much you would need on a laptop
4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD

sue.falstaff

O'chOir extraOrdinaire
I use a Dell laptop too ... at work at the moment, so I can't remember the specs, but I'll check it out when I get home Laurie & let you know.

Oh, I'd second what Kristy said about getting a mouse though ... I have a cute little USB number that I plug into my laptop whenever I'm scrapping!

hondachicc

Ooh...YES...a mouse a must!! and I don't recomend the little laptop mouse either...

I went through several mouses until I found the BEST....

I have the nano logitech...I never have to take the usb out as it is so small. I always use my mouse...I hate the touch pad!!

ourmisadventures

I'm a touchpad girl but I sometimes use a bluetooth mouse. Yep, I even design using my touchpad!!!

I'm a mac... but as far as PCs go... I think dell has gotten better with their quality, but I could totally be wrong. Don't get less than 4gb of ram... I personally would get more if possible.

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I don't think it really really matters how much RAM (although I would get at least 4GB) but get one that is upgradable so that you can upgrade if need be. I have an HP which I liked fine but is now slow. Get as much harddrive space as you can afford. And with Bestbuy scour the reviews and go online and read reviews. I have a 17" laptop...which takes some getting used to as far as handling but once you do it is easy. Also...before they convince you to buy a warranty through them check on the manufacturer warranty. A lot of times it is the same as what they offer. I've heard great things about Dell and I was just looking online and they have quite a few. And I would get at least a 15" screen. Good luck and have fun.

Peppermint

I second the Logitech Nano mouse - it's the best - I went through a half dozen different mice on my laptop and that one has withstood the test of time. My son has one for his laptop, too - it's indestructible.

I've had really great luck with Toshiba laptops - I have one and I just bought my son his first one for Christmas. I'd recommend at least 2GB of RAM (4GB would be awesome!) and a fast processor (over 2gHz) if you plan to run Lightroom and Photoshop for scrapbooking in the future. A laptop with a dedicated video card would be the BEST, but those tend to drive the price up.

I've always stored my digital supplies and photos on an external drive so the internal drive size wasn't a big deal to me.

Umm, a great lapdesk is a must if you're going to hunker down on the couch for some scrapbooking - I have a Belkin one that I love (this one) because it has a channel underneath it where I can stow my EHD while I'm working. The lapdesk keeps me from dying underneath the heat of the laptop - especially in the warm months (in the cold months I don't mind - hah!)

I don't really scrap on my laptop as much as I used to, now that I have my big computer in my office, but sometimes I just want to work on a page while watching a movie with the family or something and then it's always nice to have my laptop handy.

hondachicc

Oh yes.....HEAT.....the laptop cancer!!!!!

You must keep your laptop as cool as possible....HEAT is what killed our first one!!!! I have the most GHETTO setup to keep mine cool....but mine never ever gets past being just a tiny bit warm......I am usually on the sofa in front of the TV when I am scrapping....I don't have the computer in my lap....I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got a Wire silverware holder....one of those plastic mats that you put in your sink to drain the water from the dishes (has big holes all over)....I flip the silverware holder upside down, and put the plastic mat on top of it and then set the computer on the mat.....IT NEVER GETS HOT!!! EVER!!!!!!!!! I searched high and low for this "system"...:pound: as I went through 5 cooling fans...all JUNK....It's not pretty....but it works!!!!!!

LaurieW

lOve the O!
I am loving all these ideas- half hoping the tech guy only saves the data and that he does not miraculously save the entire desktop

MommySpice

You can buy RAM from Crucial.com for a lot cheaper - so find a computer that will upgrade to 4 or more gigs - it doesn't have to have it already.

You will want a fast processor. Dedicated video card is definitely very nice if possible. Storage is a positive, but get the right laptop and you can upgrade that later if need be.

The sweet spot is going to be around $800-$1200 - where you won't pay for a lot of stuff you don't need, but you will get a good, solid laptop. I do love my Dell - it's 3 or 4 years old and still going strong. If only the internet company here were so reliable. :)

SueCummings

Defined + Designed
Designer
I just bought a new HP Pavillon laptop $750 and it has the intel processor...I think my son said that is more important. Most computers have enough RAM nowadays...not like the older laptops. I also have a lap desk that I rest it on. I do everything on laptop...pc is too confining...and I like to be with hubby and by TV. I also have a mouse...it's key to my sanity. My older Pavillon worked just fine but I was afraid the monitor was going to go...so I bought a new one. It took me FOREVER to switch over to the new laptop (programs and such)...but it was worth it...new one is very fast and doesn't overheat.
xoxoxosue

Last edited by a moderator:

sue.falstaff

O'chOir extraOrdinaire
Here's the spec of the laptop I use ... Dell, Inspiron1750, Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, 4GB RAM & using Windows 7 Home Premium operating system ... ♥♥♥

LaurieW

lOve the O!
Oh you ladies are so helpful- you know how the store people are not- but now I have a much better idea about what I need. Since the basement will be under reno for quite some time a desktop is not an option now, but I can hook the monitor up to the laptop- for dual monitors- think - digi files on one monitor and scrap program on the other. I am beginning to be excited about shopping on Thursday.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Yay for you Laurie!

I have the same lap desk at peppermint- and I love it for the same reason, I can stick my EHD passport right in there which protects it from me being a klutz.

Goo dluck and happy shopping :)

LaurieW

lOve the O!
I got a new ASUS laptop, intel core i3 CPU, 2.53 GHz, 4GB RAM expandable, and 640 GB HD. I am liking it very much so far. I got the Belkin desk @ target, and will buy a mouse tomorrow- do you have the fancy one or just a regular logitech with the tiny USB support? Need to be decked out for the bday party, although we have dance and mr gorgeous wants to go look at flooring for our basement after.Oh well, I got the new laptop and will stop in when I can

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Congrats Laurie!

For my laptop I have a Logitech Laser performance looks like... 848nm ?
The tablet I have for the laptop is a Genius.

LaurieW

lOve the O!
I almost added a wacom bamboo to my bill, but decided I need to sort through the clutter and get the remodel done before I add another toy!!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I looooooove my bamboo (that one is on my desktop)
Once you pen-scrap- you'll never be able to use a mouse again (which is why MIL got me the genius tablet for my laptop LOL)