Oscraps

Meditation Tips

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
In the Exercise thread, Amanda and I commiserated on how we have a hard time turning our brains off during meditation and yoga. I know that this can be a common hurdle and would love to hear how everyone handles that.

One instructor that I had classes with said to "breathe it it, and let go."
I know a lot of meditation tapes suggest to acknowledge the thoughts and then let them go.
These are all well and good but some days I feel that if I acknowledge every thought that runs through my brain, that is all I would do.:smile:

Being able to turn your brain off is an important part of health and self-care and I would love to hear any of your tips.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I would love to hear some tips also... my brain was working overtime all night last night and I could really use a brake from all that noise!!LOL

felis

Some people listen music, but all this bird songs and wood whisper, take my imagination to fly away from the meditation. My sister use guided meditation, but this isn't for me at all. It's really difficult for me to keep my brain in quiet meditation. Will have to work on that.

I use knitting as “Active Meditation”, concentration on some very difficult pattern helps me for resting my mind.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I use knitting as “Active Meditation”, concentration on some very difficult pattern helps me for resting my mind.

I think this is a really key idea - I read once that anything can be a meditative activity - as long as you focus all of your attention on it. Like maybe even doing laundry can be a mindfulness exercise.... while you fold, you think something like, I am so lucky to be folding my laundry, it means I have clothes to wear. I am so grateful to be folding my laundry, it means I have a safe home to store them in....

ok, so maybe that turned into a gratefulness exercise instead... maybe just repeat, "I am folding" and name the item - I am folding this black shirt. I am hanging these blue jeans. I am folding these pink panties. ;)

See how my thoughts can run away with me.....

felis

I think this is a really key idea - I read once that anything can be a meditative activity - as long as you focus all of your attention on it. Like maybe even doing laundry can be a mindfulness exercise.... while you fold, you think something like, I am so lucky to be folding my laundry, it means I have clothes to wear. I am so grateful to be folding my laundry, it means I have a safe home to store them in.....

Hehe, as long as you can stay focusing the attention on a single object it's count for me, but like I said I was not much successful in the traditional meditation, so ... :washing:
Save

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Some really good ideas, I like the Active Meditation idea. I have a very hard time just "being." I feel like I am being lazy if I am not doing something at all times. It is hard to be present.

Have any of you tried Adult Coloring books? I know they are helpful for some people, but for me, they made me want to stab myself in the eye with the pencil.

felis

I am, even have a LO for that. I like it, but use it for time just to to sit down and consider plans, intentions and results. No way for meditation, because my mind couldn't stop thinking till I coloring, it's more like inspiring way to spend a quiet time than peaceful mind.

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I love to walk, and than take pictures from nature. I come to rest and it makes me totally zen.

ninigoesdigi

O sO silly
Cross stitching was that for me back when I was in between France and Japan not knowing when I would be able to come back to Japan and to hubby ;)

I did yoga too but my teacher stopped and I didn't have the heart to find a new place cause she was really nice. (=I am making excuses maybe lol)

Last month I tried some apps for mindfulness. Both are paying so I stopped once I had to pay to unlock more. Not interested. But I did feel good to lay down 10 minutes, listen to a nice voice guiding me and helping me focus on my breathing instead of trying too hard to sleep. Maybe I should continue cause 2 nights ago I just couldn't sleep and I kept watching TV shows until I got sleepy because if I don't do anything I think too much about this and that and there you go, I am rolling over in my bed continuously.
Maybe I should scrap instead lol but I don't want to get out of the bed that's why I watch my fav TV shows instead. (=not really good for bedtime you will say) and you'd be right lol).

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I find walking is calming and relaxing for me. I grab a drink and my camera and head out. I don't rush, I wander and stop often, just looking and listening to nature around me.

felis

I love to walk, and than take pictures from nature. I come to rest and it makes me totally zen.

I find walking is calming and relaxing for me. I grab a drink and my camera and head out. I don't rush, I wander and stop often, just looking and listening to nature around me.

WOW, this is the moment when my creative energy is highest, bunch of ideas and theme coming on my mind and it is so full and murmurous, so opposite of meditation and zen, so you girls really surprised me.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
For me, being outside especially when I am digging in the dirt, is so grounding. I feel like I can really breathe again.

AFTdesigns

Designer
Designer
This is great! I think for me where I'm most calm is just when I'm writing/journaling. I feel I can get the ick out of my head and onto paper. And the fact that I just LOVE pens and paper helps as well ;)

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Believe it or not I find ironing very relaxing and calming! I know I am a bit of a weirdO :crazy:

Danesa

Danesa
I find some of my most peaceful and calming times are when I go to the wooded lake or outside cafe spots, in my little town. I will sit, take a sketch book and doodle what catches my eye that particular day. Its like my mind escapes the cares of the day, concentrates on the beauty around me and brings me to my mind-garden place.
Trudy, I'm part of the weirdO team as I love to iron also! haha

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I found an app for my phone called Insight Timer. It's a free guided meditation app and it has 1000's of guided meditations on it. I absolutely love it.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
This is great! I think for me where I'm most calm is just when I'm writing/journaling. I feel I can get the ick out of my head and onto paper. And the fact that I just LOVE pens and paper helps as well ;)
My DDis the SAME! hahaha!! She loves for those multi-color Zebra pens. Journals with them all of the time. She even color codes her notes in her college classes with them. I am not good with journaling although when I was in treatment for my eating disorder we had to do that as part of group therapy session. I think I ended up just drawing circles and scribbles over and over. One woman ended up stabbing her paper and other had us all spit on hers. Then we threw them in the garbage all torn up. Very cathartic LOL
I found an app for my phone called Insight Timer. It's a free guided meditation app and it has 1000's of guided meditations on it. I absolutely love it.

This is more where I should be at instead of journaling like up there ^^ Is this on iTunes? Must check it out!

Yesterday was cold here but the sun was shining and I did a bit of yardwork, uncovering some of the daffodils and tulips coming up- felt so good!

Save
Save

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
My DDis the SAME! hahaha!! She loves for those multi-color Zebra pens. Journals with them all of the time. She even color codes her notes in her college classes with them. I am not good with journaling although when I was in treatment for my eating disorder we had to do that as part of group therapy session. I think I ended up just drawing circles and scribbles over and over. One woman ended up stabbing her paper and other had us all spit on hers. Then we threw them in the garbage all torn up. Very cathartic LOL

This is more where I should be at instead of journaling like up there ^^ Is this on iTunes? Must check it out!

Yesterday was cold here but the sun was shining and I did a bit of yardwork, uncovering some of the daffodils and tulips coming up- felt so good!

Save
Save

LOL Chris, that's a unique approach but nice that each of you were able to tailor the task to your own individual needs/style ;)

I don't know if it's on itunes or not, I use it on my iphone. But, it seems to be a legit, big app kind of thing with 1000's of free meditations and like 1.6 million users, so I would guess it's on multiple platforms.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I finally got my iPod "cleaned" out- it must be the only iPod in world that doesn;t have *any* music on it LOL
But wow, I LOVE it! I have used some of the sleep ones, a morning affirmation, chakra clearing. I am addicted to it :)
TY!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Oh, I'm so glad you finally got to try it and you love it!!!! I really love the chakra clearing. I sort of that was all "woowoo" but I tried it and really do love it!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I haven't had a chance to search yet, but I hope to find one for Reiki hand positions. I really need to start Reiki-ing myself again. I am a Level 2 and would love to get to Level 3, but that takes a lot of work, and $. But the chakra clearing one I did felt good. Thank you again!
I just rec's this to Rita for stress relief too.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I've seen Reiki ones on there but haven't done any of them.

I've really enjoyed the talks/meditations from Live Awake by Sarah Blondin. She just seems to speak to my soul.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Cool, I will search for her. Now that the weather is nicer and I hope to be outside, I am going to look for some of the Movement/Mindful Walking ones. Have you found any good ones for that?