Oscraps

Mac Users: How to Customize Finder Folders to Help Find your Scrapbook Stash!

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
files.jpg

Because one of our members asked about this, I've recorded a short tutorial on using functionality built into the Mac operating system to change the blue folders in Finder to a kit preview and how you can do the same for Photoshop/Elements brush (.abr) files and style (.asl) files. I also demonstrate how to do the same thing in fewer steps with a free application available in the Mac App Store and show you how, once you've customized your folders, using Mac's Spotlight Search can save you time when you're looking for scrapping supplies!

How many Mac users do we have???

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
Interesting video .. I love to see the previews on my screen and always used the 'get info' way ...

Tamsin

Thanks Vicki. Always wondered how to do that. One tip for those who are getting jpegs in the 'get info' dialogue box. The image you copy to the small top icon in that dialogue box MUST be copied from PREVIEW. So open the image you want in preview, copy by pressing Ctrl C, then go to the 'get info' dialogue and paste to the tiny blue icon at the top. You will have to select that icon first of course. Clear as mud no doubt LOL.

Last edited:

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Thanks Vicki. Always wondered how to do that. One tip for those who are getting jpegs in the 'get info' dialogue box. The image you copy to the small top icon in that dialogue box MUST be copied from PREVIEW. So open the image you want in preview, copy by pressing Ctrl C, then go to the 'get info' dialogue and paste to the tiny blue icon at the top. You will have to select that icon first of course. Clear as mud no doubt LOL.
Actually, as I demonstrated, I copy directly from Finder all the time, not through Preview at all. But, as I mentioned in the video, I included the alternate methods because fo some reason it doesn’t work for everyone. Have you tried dragging the image from a Finder window to the Get Info window as I showed?

tjscraps

I tried both ways you did it (drag & drop and just copy & paste) and only got the jpg generic image, but Cmd-A, Cmd-C, Cmd-V works. Maybe it's because I haven't upgraded yet to the new OS? Thanks for the video though, I love seeing how other people do things to pick up tricks!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I'm a Mac user too! That's why I include a folder image in my kits because I like seeing it on a folder so I know it's a folder and not just a jpg image. I get confused when I see a 'flat' folder preview image. I think it's just a jpg preview. I'm just crazy like that! :)

Vicki Robinson

Designer
I'm a Mac user too! That's why I include a folder image in my kits because I like seeing it on a folder so I know it's a folder and not just a jpg image. I get confused when I see a 'flat' folder preview image. I think it's just a jpg preview. I'm just crazy like that! :)
I know the “folder” image helps PC users, but it does nothing on my Mac. That’s why I like Image2icon -- you can choose how the folder displays and I can use different icons for my .abr and .asl files

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
No, I mean I include a preview on an image of a folder - so I can still see a folder and not a square.

Tamsin

Actually, as I demonstrated, I copy directly from Finder all the time, not through Preview at all. But, as I mentioned in the video, I included the alternate methods because fo some reason it doesn’t work for everyone. Have you tried dragging the image from a Finder window to the Get Info window as I showed?

Tamsin

Yes I did try dragging the image over from Finder, Vicki, but that didn't work for me. It did appear there while the dialogue box was open but disappeared when I went looking for the folder in Finder in the usual way. Odd. I suppose some of us willl have different versions of the OS and that's why different things happen. I don't know. My Macbook is going on for 7 years old. Anyway thanks to you I know how to do it now. Appreciate it.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Yes I did try dragging the image over from Finder, Vicki, but that didn't work for me. It did appear there while the dialogue box was open but disappeared when I went looking for the folder in Finder in the usual way. Odd. I suppose some of us willl have different versions of the OS and that's why different things happen. I don't know. My Macbook is going on for 7 years old. Anyway thanks to you I know how to do it now. Appreciate it.
I agree - it’s probably OS related.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
Vicki, I installed a used macbook pro today (my son bought a new mac). I tested the app and that's my result...
For the folder of the APP Remembrancer I used the original - for the brushes the ios icon.

The 'folder' icons are paying ...

Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 18.04.35.png Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 17.49.36.png

hoodsmom

Guess Who!
You can also use built-in Mac tools to custom color folders and put text on them - so if I wanted to have a folder called "Stitches," I could.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 15.13.18.png

Here's an article from my computer club that explains the process.
EDIT: since Vicki said it was OK, here's the hotlink to the article: https://dvmug.org/blog/?p=14847

Last edited:

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
You can also use built-in Mac tools to custom color folders and put text on them - so if I wanted to have a folder called "Stitches," I could.

View attachment 363552

Here's an article from my computer club that explains the process. I'm not sure what the forum rules are for off-site linking to non-scrapbook sites, so the link is broken up
https:// dvmug dot org/blog/?attachment_id=14928
You can link to something that will help us in our scrapwork :)