Oscraps

LOOK at these Brilliant Ideas for Using Concrete!!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I just found this youtube video on using cement to make quite an assortment of things! All the projects are small and look very easy to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq1Uv-qFls8

I have used concrete in the past to make a shallow bowl/pot to hold a succulent garden and my DH helped me to make an Celtic type Shield many years ago. We dug a shallow round area and then he dug some little round holes into the area so that when dried they would protrude out a little bit. Then he used a small decorative 'S' shaped hanging pot holder to press into the dirt all around outer edge to give it some more decoration. He also, dug into the dirt an bit to give the "shield" some raised 'quarter' areas. In the center I laid down an old pendant. I am so glad I had him to help as what we were creating in the dirt would actually be the 'front' of our shield. :shocked:

Next we mixed up the concrete and added some brown colour to it. Added too much but I was able to fix that by painting over it when it had dried with metallic greenish/blue patina.

After we poured the concrete, we then etched our names and the date into it, as well as our hand prints and the paw print of the dog we had, Chewie! I really loved how it turned out and it sat in my garden for years. When it came time to pack up and move I was adamant that it was coming with us, even though it was quite heavy! lol! So into the truck it went........... don't know if it survived the long journey down here as it it still packed up under a lot of other stuff so I won't get to see that until we buy a new house, but I am so hoping it is still in one piece!

Here are a couple of photos.........I am just kicking myself that I didn't take a 'proper' photo of it or of the other pots I had made out of concrete!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

What about you?? Has anyone done anything with concrete? Would love to see some pics!! :) And will anyone want to try some of the ideas out in the video above?? I have saved the location of the video and am going to try some of them for sure!!!

Attachments

• Celtic-shield-1-web.jpg
    Celtic-shield-1-web.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Celtic-shield-2-web.jpg
    Celtic-shield-2-web.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Celtic-shield-3-web.jpg
    Celtic-shield-3-web.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
You do not want to know how many of those nice things I pin on, but I never have the time!

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
So many fun things you can do!

I love the bubblewrap flower pot I saw!

I do have some cement things in my garden, like a rabbit
but they came from a store.

Years and years ago, we had some leftover cement and I filled a little bucket and a half ball, when they dried I turned them over and stacked them, my own mini toadstool!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
You do not want to know how many of those nice things I pin on, but I never have the time!

Oh me too Vera! but I am determined to PLAN to do a couple of these projects when we get a house. I will make sure I have everything I need first, like buying the cement etc etc!! :)

It is harder when you work full time like you do, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day! I am now retired so I have lots of time, but sometimes not the energy! lol!!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
So many fun things you can do!

I love the bubblewrap flower pot I saw!

I do have some cement things in my garden, like a rabbit
but they came from a store.

Years and years ago, we had some leftover cement and I filled a little bucket and a half ball, when they dried I turned them over and stacked them, my own mini toadstool!

I like that bubble wrap flower pot as well Diane, and at the end, the way they did the cup with the lace at the top for the candle holders, that is so very sweet. I think I would add some cement colouring though, the greyish/brown tones were nice but the white was a bit too stark looking... although it would look great in a particular setting I guess.

How fun with making your own mini toadstool! hmmm, will have to do a couple of those myself for some of the fairies that travelled down here with me! :)

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
And they are all so good ideas, I want to get started right away, maybe even plan on a rainy day.

Oh me too Vera! but I am determined to PLAN to do a couple of these projects when we get a house. I will make sure I have everything I need first, like buying the cement etc etc!! :)

It is harder when you work full time like you do, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day! I am now retired so I have lots of time, but sometimes not the energy! lol!!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Yes, that is a good idea, planning for a rainy day!! I hope that with the house we buy, I will have some sort of garden shed that I can use for these types of 'messy' projects! :)

Lorie Davison

I'm O'm
Designer
We have a hiking trail that runs behind our house. I would love to make something that looked like an old sculpture rising ever so slightly up from the forest floor along the trail. Like maybe a gorilla holding a crown.....

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
oh wow! absolutely love that!! I am so hoping that when we buy a house down here that there will be some land attached with some established trees or bush land so I have something to 'play' with! :) I couldn't bring all the fairies and wizards I had collected over the years, but they were part of my garden for many along year at the old place. :)

Lorie Davison

I'm O'm
Designer
Ohhhh I hope when it happens you find a magical patch with enough room to play with so you can bring along some of your faeries.

Danesa

Danesa
Very cool. The only thing I've ever created with concrete was several large graduated size elephant ear leaves. I used them in what I called my pond, which was actually a large bird bath. haha I had 4 of them that the water trickled off of, into the basin. I had to leave them in Florida, when I moved, 14 years ago. I enjoyed them so much though. Maybe this will inspire me to make something else this summer.?!?? :)

Ellen

Just reading this.
Many years ago, 20 or so ? It was before we moved back to Scotland I made
sort of flat bowls for plant arrangements , mainly succulents.
This was done by using rhubarb leaves and cement .
I still have one of them sitting here , (empty) will take a picture tomorrow.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
wow Vera! that is awesome!! how very creative and useful as gifts or to decorate your bathroom with! must try some of these, perhaps using some coconut oil that has been sitting in the pantry for ages! :)

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I will first have to find some time, I am already making 2wk oatmeal cookies, and still not baked :eyebrows: