Oscraps

Keto - what's for dinner?

nightshadow

Elaina/aka Nightshadow
Here's what I posted at "Peace Love and Low Carb Friends" Facebook. Turned out to not be any peace or love. I got SLAMMED:

I guess the Facebook group is ill named. Sorry you got slammed Sharron. Personally, I think what you posted should have been considered helpful.

The only time I've ever taken probiotics was when I was prescribed a course of antibiotics because those have the same effect on me that the probiotics had on you, not to mention occasional female problems. The one I took (and I'd have to check my Amazon account for the name) was formulated specifically to prevent antibiotic side effects and it worked well for me. This is all a very individual choice and I don't understand why people should slam you for posting a very logical warning.

It takes all kinds...

SharLamb

Sharron
Thanks, Elaina. I've since done more research, and it turns out there is no solid SCIENTIFIC evidence that probiotics are helpful to one's health in the way the products (food, beverages, or supplements) claim. Seems to me it is sort of a rising fad, for the most part--that not EVERYONE should be taking it, but rather should be used individually for cases like yours. The heated responses made me suspicious that people were defending their sacred cow, so to speak. But I'm not going to throw gas onto the flame. I made my point--that people should research before jumping into something like this, not just taking the word of a TV doctor. Not that I think they can HURT most people, but I'm not the only one who has suffered because of them...my (voted Top Doc in Seattle every year for the past decade-plus) nationally respected DDIL, for one, and several people at Facebook page who had similar experience to mine; also my DH, to a lesser degree because he stopped as soon as the stomach pain started.

Before I started the KETO way of eating, I did several days of research. Wish I had done the same over probiotic supplements!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I'm sorry they were ugly to you. It's so easy for people to be cruel online. That's one of the reason I'm so proud of Oscraps - we are so supportive of each other #grouphug

I've had mixed results with pro-biotics. I stopped taking them a while back because they just didn't seem like they were doing anything and they're pretty expensive.

SharLamb

Sharron
I've read that an alternative is taking a TBS of apple cider vinegar "with mother" every morning. Guess I'm having trouble understanding why anything like this is actually necessary for most people. Seems like a new fad to me...that people led healthy lives for centuries without worrying about probiotic supplements. And yes...Oscraps is an awesome place to be. Very safe!

SharLamb

Sharron
Rae, I'm crediting you with changing my life...maybe saving it. Here is what I posted on the Peace Love and Low Carbs Friends FB page. Not sure if you go there, so wanted you to see this. Makes me cry thinking about how much better my life has become in just two months:

Non-scale-victory (well, two, actually):

1. Was able to put my socks on by lifting one foot at a time up to my knee rather than taking a deep breath and trying to slide them on with my feet on the floor! Haven't been able to do that for years.

2. Went on a neighborhood walk to see if my hip bursitis had improved. Nearly cried with joy: NO PAIN! I can't remember when I've been able to walk more than 5 or 10 minutes without burning pain in both hips.

All that has changed is being KETO Faithful for 2 months. Quality of life has improved so much. I am also sleeping better most nights, and my acid reflux, which I've been suffering with for 20 years, is GONE!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Rae, I'm crediting you with changing my life...maybe saving it. Here is what I posted on the Peace Love and Low Carbs Friends FB page. Not sure if you go there, so wanted you to see this. Makes me cry thinking about how much better my life has become in just two months:

Non-scale-victory (well, two, actually):

1. Was able to put my socks on by lifting one foot at a time up to my knee rather than taking a deep breath and trying to slide them on with my feet on the floor! Haven't been able to do that for years.

2. Went on a neighborhood walk to see if my hip bursitis had improved. Nearly cried with joy: NO PAIN! I can't remember when I've been able to walk more than 5 or 10 minutes without burning pain in both hips.

All that has changed is being KETO Faithful for 2 months. Quality of life has improved so much. I am also sleeping better most nights, and my acid reflux, which I've been suffering with for 20 years, is GONE!

That is AMAZING! I"m so happy for you!

Katherine B

oOohh, my! Only by accident did I stumble into this thread, and am I glad I did! Reading through all your posts I'd swear I hit the Keto inspiration jackpot! ;P

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
oOohh, my! Only by accident did I stumble into this thread, and am I glad I did! Reading through all your posts I'd swear I hit the Keto inspiration jackpot! ;P

Yay! Are you currently doing keto or thinking of starting?

I've fallen off the wagon and need to get back on!

SharLamb

Sharron
Welcome aboard Katherine.

For dinner tonight, I'm trying something my DDIL made, that was a hit with her family. Pepper-ringed meatloaf! You slice sweet peppers (red, yellow, or orange) into rings that are about 3/4" deep, then put them on a parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet, then fill each ring with your fav Keto-friendly meatloaf. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. I don't have the exact recipe, but this was how she described it. I will keep an eye as it is baking. I'll let y'all know how they turn out.

SharLamb

Sharron
Well, the pepper-ringed meatloaf has to wait until tomorrow. DH came home from golf late, and I fell asleep on the patio. So instead we had heirloom tomato slices topped with fried pepperoni and melted mozzarella cheese. YUUUUMMMM...the tomato was sooooo good. It was more of a snack than a dinner, but was still satisfying.

SharLamb

Sharron
Happy find. Stopped at Safeway on the way home from church, and found a fresh fish display in front...fresh, WILD-caught sockeye salmon for $9.99 a pound. Costco often has it at that price, but we have to buy two fillets wrapped together. Safeway had them individually. BBQ salmon for dinner tonight!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
awesome Shar!

I experimented tonight and found that yellow squash from my friend's garden works just as well as zucchini in the spiralizer! It does seem to need to cook a wee bit longer than zucchini does, though.

SharLamb

Sharron
Good to know, Vicki. I'm hoping NEXT year we will have our own home-grown zucchini. We haven't done any veggie gardening in 30 years, but zucchini seems to do very well in the Puget Sound area. And last week I splurged on a yellow heirloom tomato. OMG! It was SOOOOOO good. I saved the seeds, and hope to grow my own next summer. (This is the year I should have done it. We've had one of the driest, warmest summers ever. Some years it rains all summer!) Most store-bought tomatoes only add color to a salad, certainly not taste!

BTW, tonight's salmon was to die for. Plenty of left-overs for tomorrow (I bought over 2# for the two of us! LOL).

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Sharron - I agree, this year on the west coast has been the driest I can remember in years. I don't think I've ever had an heirloom tomato. I grew my own tomatoes yrs ago when I was home to water them on the wkends (now we're away too much in the summertime to take care of them) and miss the more intense flavor. The ones we get from our local produce markets just don't taste the same.