Oscraps

Jean's 100 Day Challenge

scrap-genie

I've done a small mixed media page each of the first five days. Day 1 was just a whimsey and looks OK, Day 2 was awful, Day 3 I had a nice collage going then wrecked it with paints, Day 4 I used things from that day's mail and it's nothing much. But Day 5, still using things from the day 4 mail, I have something new that really intrigues me. I don't care to share the first 4 as I don't like them one way or another, but here is Day 5.

mm_22-Feb-2024_sm.jpg

I've also gone back to my little camera instead of phone using the prompts for a daily photo.
So, all in all, pretty interesting start to this (that I said I couldn't/wouldn't commit to).

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I love the bold reds against the neutral background here Jean. I am so happy you shared this though! I love this colour combo so much so it has inspired me to try something along these lines too. I don't often used red so I need to challenge myself to use colours I don't particularly gravitate to. Thanks for the inspiration! ♥

I had to giggle out loud though as you described your progress for each day!! hahaha!!! I often mess things up by applying something I shouldn't have and then have to come up an idea on how to cover it or integrate it back into the original idea in my head!! lol! I found quite a few pages where that happened looking through my art journal the other day and thought, nuh! totally unfixable so I actually tore it out of the journal and will tear/cut the page up into smaller pieces to use as collage fodder! lol!

scrap-genie

Here's Day 6. I've gone back to adding ink lines which I'd avoided the first 5 days. I still really like Day 5 without them, but this is OK too.

mm_23-Feb-2024_sm.jpg

Adding #7. I'm naming these 3 with words on them from the bits taken from my mother's plane geometry textbook. #5 is Tangency, #6 is Complement, and #7 is Likewise.

mm_24-Feb-2024_sm.jpg

Day #8 I tried some different things. I'll explain below. I think the title should be Contemplating Spring.

mm_25-Feb-2024_sm.jpg

Day 9: DH pulled an old grocery list from his jacket pocket today and that is part of today's collage material. Also colored pencil.

mm_26-Feb-2024_sm.jpg
Instead of a photo, this is scanned. I think it does great for clarity, but washes out some, especially texture.

Day 10 was busy but I still got a piece under way. I do not use these pastel type colors, so that was a challenge. I'm sure it needs more work, but here it is for now.

mm_27-Feb-2024_sm.jpg

Last edited:

scrap-genie

Thanks for all your comments! I've added day 7's mixed media. The paper is all the same so the color differences are from how I've processed the photos. And speaking of photos, I've taken those too using the prompts and today got one I like a lot.

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
I just took a quick peek at your blog...your art is WONDERFUL!!! So far, the one called "On the Rocks" is my favorite...I did leave a comment on it...you are SO uber talented :beatingheart::heartpumpred::beatingheart:

scrap-genie

I can't get a decent picture of my mixed media for Day 8, but I posted what I could above.
Recently I did rather random mono printing on paper to use in collage and some of that is in today's.
But Lynn Grieveson's tutorial recently gave me an idea about handwriting. I took a page from the geometry book and wrote, rather large, across it. I then used pieces of it in this collage. So the paper already had acrylic paint or ink lines. I used colored pencils and some white acrylic to finish it. I think paint and handwriting on the papers is going to be a good idea. The paper in the sketchbook is small, half the size of a letter page.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I can't get a decent picture of my mixed media for Day 8, but I posted what I could above.
Recently I did rather random mono printing on paper to use in collage and some of that is in today's.
But Lynn Grieveson's tutorial recently gave me an idea about handwriting. I took a page from the geometry book and wrote, rather large, across it. I then used pieces of it in this collage. So the paper already had acrylic paint or ink lines. I used colored pencils and some white acrylic to finish it. I think paint and handwriting on the papers is going to be a good idea. The paper in the sketchbook is small, half the size of a letter page.
Love your latest abstract Jean ♥ and I love using writing/text on my work as well. I haven't visited your blog yet but need to do so soon but today I have a few things to get finished. :) Also love that you are taking photos too! Ya know, I could see some of those being printed out and then used in your abstract work as well! :)

scrap-genie

Day 9 and 10 mixed media are posted above. Wish I could get better photos or scans of them. I'm amazed that I've actually done ten new pieces however small or unfinished they are. I'm trying some new ideas which makes it especially worthwhile.

scrap-genie

I'm going to start a new place for the next set of mixed media. Here is Day 11. DH says it's Times Square with so many people and he could be right.

mm_28-Feb-2024_sm.jpg

Now if I could get today's for Day 12 started.

Not that happy with day 12, partly because the yellow paint is a bit much and a bit too yellow. But it was interesting anyway.

mm_29-Feb-2024_sm.jpg

Now to keep going.

Last edited:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Day 9 and 10 mixed media are posted above. Wish I could get better photos or scans of them. I'm amazed that I've actually done ten new pieces however small or unfinished they are. I'm trying some new ideas which makes it especially worthwhile.
Oh for sure! I am trying all different sorts of things too and am thoroughly enjoying it as well as finishing off some pieces which makes me so happy to have them done!! :)

Wow!! your Day 11 is stunning and yes, I can see buildings and people in this, a certain city-like busyness to it!!! Love the colours you chose as well! :beatingheart:

scrap-genie

Is this day 14? I've lost count. I know I have the photos, but my creative techniques LO is going to have to be my Day 13 effort. I started a MM page yesterday but it is far from done and I'll be lucky if it gets done tonight.

Todays' photo prompt is favorite scent and I swear mine is lilacs. So I photographed the neighbor's lilac bush that just barely has buds on it. Oh well.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Is this day 14? I've lost count. I know I have the photos, but my creative techniques LO is going to have to be my Day 13 effort. I started a MM page yesterday but it is far from done and I'll be lucky if it gets done tonight.

Todays' photo prompt is favorite scent and I swear mine is lilacs. So I photographed the neighbor's lilac bush that just barely has buds on it. Oh well.
I think it's Day 14, Jean. That's what I used. I need to start marking these off on my calendar. I LOVE lilacs, too.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Well you created a wonderful layout for the challenge Jean! ♥

I am using a simple spreadsheet and just marking it all off, for me it is Day 15 and I am still on track but I think some of my projects may need to be simplified! lol!! :)

scrap-genie

Day 14 MM page is done. I'm toying with various ideas and so the daily pieces may suffer from that, but it's interesting anyway.

mm_02-Mar-2024_sm.jpg

DH says this is what it looked like out the window the other day in the snow. I've started with layers of collage, ink, acrylic white, and colored pencil. Again, these are just small, half letter size paper.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O

I've definitely lost count. And my project number is not going to reach a 100 because some projects take more than one day. But I am making sure I do something creative daily. I'll have to be happy with that.

scrap-genie

Here are anther 8 days of photo prompts. Today's "time" may look strange, but it takes time for a shovel to rust which this has done since my neighbor left it last fall. Now daffodil shoots are coming up around it as time marches on. The scent is a lilac bush just barely with leaf buds.

z_days_9-16.jpg

Meanwhile I never got to mixed media on Day 15 and today isn't looking promising.

janedee

I'm losing track too! I've started keeping a list in Notes. Love your mixed media pages and I can't believe you're doing photos too!

scrap-genie

Cheryl @Cherylndesigns and Jane @janedee I have not been able to keep up with the mixed media work. I've done at least one that I haven't posted and have a partially finished one. Today at my usual art class I did one in a small watercolor pad. It's not in the sketchbook I've been using and is even smaller, but I wanted to use some watercolor, actually watercolor pencil with my collage. Today's has been popular with others and I'm pretty happy too. I missed some days, but this is still Day 19 with a not so great photo.

mm_07-Mar-2024_sm.jpg

I am sort of keeping up with the photos but not following the prompts too well some days.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Cheryl @Cherylndesigns and Jane @janedee I have not been able to keep up with the mixed media work. I've done at least one that I haven't posted and have a partially finished one. Today at my usual art class I did one in a small watercolor pad. It's not in the sketchbook I've been using and is even smaller, but I wanted to use some watercolor, actually watercolor pencil with my collage. Today's has been popular with others and I'm pretty happy too. I missed some days, but this is still Day 19 with a not so great photo.

View attachment 414548

I am sort of keeping up with the photos but not following the prompts too well some days.
I'm not keeping up very well either, Jean. This watercolor is gorgeous!! I've always wanted to try watercolors, but for some reason have been reluctant. That's great that you're taking art classes. That's probably what I should do.
'

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
oooh great job Jean, that last one with watercolours is stunning! it sure is hard keeping up but I am still pretty much up to date, I tend to prep some while I watch TV shows at night, collage a page, or cut out some magazine pics etc and then the next day I will finish off one of pieces completely and then call it my project for that day. That way I am doing something creative each day and I am keeping it all under control in my spreadsheet. :)

scrap-genie

Here's a mixed media. I started it around Day 14 or so and did a little on several days and yesterday decided it was as much as it was ever going to be. I think I had an idea at the beginning that I lost sight of along the way. Anyway, skipping a bunch of days, this is Day 21.

mm_09-Mar-2024_sm.jpg

I'm still getting daily photos of some sort but the prompts are a bit strange.

scrap-genie

Here are eight more days of photos. The prompts have been a little strange and my responses to them perhaps even stranger, but they're photos each day.

z_days_17-24.jpg

Meanwhile, I started a new mixed media maybe two days ago but haven't touched it since. I still feel I'm being pulled in too many directions but don't see that changing anytime soon.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Here are eight more days of photos. The prompts have been a little strange and my responses to them perhaps even stranger, but they're photos each day.

View attachment 414887

Meanwhile, I started a new mixed media maybe two days ago but haven't touched it since. I still feel I'm being pulled in too many directions but don't see that changing anytime soon.
These look wonderful, Jean. I'm struggling to keep up myself, so I get it. I'm just going to do the best I can and hopefully I can catch up. I think taking a photo a day is probably the easiest thing to do and I might try doing more of that.