Oscraps

Issue with PSE 23

Tamsin

Hi there. I finally upgraded both my MacBook and PSE and was hoping for smooth sailing but have run into a small problem moving a layered file onto my art page. When I move this file it becomes a 'smart object' so I can't manipulate any of the different layers should I choose to do so. I am doing it the same way I've always done it with PSE 15 but there must be some setting in this version I have to change or perhaps the option I had in 15 is now removed. Is anyone familiar with this issue. I've been using PSE 15 for many years and I'm not up-to-date with any changes that have been made since. Grateful if you can help. Thanks.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Hi there. I finally upgraded both my MacBook and PSE and was hoping for smooth sailing but have run into a small problem moving a layered file onto my art page. When I move this file it becomes a 'smart object' so I can't manipulate any of the different layers should I choose to do so. I am doing it the same way I've always done it with PSE 15 but there must be some setting in this version I have to change or perhaps the option I had in 15 is now removed. Is anyone familiar with this issue. I've been using PSE 15 for many years and I'm not up-to-date with any changes that have been made since. Grateful if you can help. Thanks.
Hi Tamsin, I haven't used PSE for ages, hopefully some of our members may be able to help you out. I will also tag @Vicki Robinson in case Vicky knows something. :) Hope you get it worked out! :)

Tamsin

I had a play, Ona, thinking there must be a way to drag each layer over separately. Had to be. So I took another look at the layers panel and noted I had linked each layer and hidden the layers I didn't want to use. Decided to unlink all layers then deleted the hidden layers. I probably don't need to delete any layers though. Then selected 'all layers' and dragged across. Bingo. So now I'm trying to figure out why I can't 'float all'. I've always preferred to float my images rather than tile because I often have too many tiles to scroll through. It's like having too many tabs open. Appreciate the encouragement and thanks for tagging Vicki who is always obliging. xx

Tamsin

Solved that one too, Ona. Should have googled it straight away. You have to enable it in your settings when in 'expert mode'. I'm always in 'expert mode' LOL. I think I learn quicker that's all.
Feeling more confident now.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
@Tamsin yay! you did it!! in a way it's great that you worked it all out yourself as you will remember it! I know with every 'new' update on CC Photoshop there is always something different! pffft!! First thing I do is go into preferences and switch everything I use often to Legacy mode so for all of its bells and whistles I only use what I am used to using!!! lol! Thanks also for explaining the steps you took, in case someone else comes looking for a solution for the same thing in the future! :)

Tamsin

Why didn't I think of taking a look at 'Preferences' !!! I guess it's been a long time since I changed out versions. I did vaguely remember I had a few issues to start with when I downloaded 15 and two couldn't be resolved. One has been annoying me forever but I found a way round the other. Managed to complete my page last night. Started it in 15 and completed it in 23. All good. Thanks for lending me an ear last night, Ona.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Sorry I didn’t see this sooner — glad you got everything sorted. one thing I will mention is that if you try to drag a PSD into another PSD (from the photo bin) the one you moved in will turn into a smart object. Could that be what happened? Instead you need to open both PSDs, select all the layers of the second file and drag them — or right click and duplicate them to the 1st file.

Tamsin

Thanks Vicki but I was dragging the layers from the layers panel not the bin. As you mentioned it I did just try dragging a .psd file from the bin onto my .psd page and had no issue. I tried resizing, changing colours of different layers etc. So what I did was click on the file in the photo bin and dragged it up onto my page. I checked and when I did this all the layers in the layers panel were selected. I didn't select them so clicking on the file must select them without us having to do it manually. So I just learnt something else thanks to you, Vicki. Thanks again.

Kythe

CHEERY O
I work with PSE22 not sure if this was what you are talking about.

If you drag elements up from the photo bin they become smart objects.
If you click on the element in the photo bin they come up in a separate window from there drag them down to your work page. They do not present as smart objects.
Even if you drag up you can always simplify them in the layers panel from the layers drop down by clicking on "simplify layer"

Tamsin

Hi Kythe. I very rarely drag up from photo bin but wonder if I should. It would allow me to make changes to the layers, and I often do, without losing any quality from the image. Do I have that right? And is there any downside to this way of doing it? I know if you 'place' a layer on your page it automatically becomes a smart object too but that's something I don't often do either. Might be a tutorial for somebody in this. :)