Oscraps

If you were unable to use your dominant arm, how well could you function?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I broke my clavicle going on two weeks ago. I've been in a harness plus a sling and of course it's my dominant arm. I'm FAIRLY able to do things with both hands/arms, but it just takes me longer. Have you ever been in this situation or even thought about what you'd do?

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Been there when I torn the rotator cuff on my right shoulder a few years ago. Was in a sling for about a month - and took another month of PT to recover from it. It was the pits as DH had to help me get dressed, adjust clothes for bathroom visits, etc. I feel for you as you go through the recovery from your fall. <<< hugs >>>

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Been there when I torn the rotator cuff on my right shoulder a few years ago. Was in a sling for about a month - and took another month of PT to recover from it. It was the pits as DH had to help me get dressed, adjust clothes for bathroom visits, etc. I feel for you as you go through the recovery from your fall. <<< hugs >>>
Oh my - at least I can go to the bathroom myself - though it's difficult. My hubby has to pull my tshirts off for me - over my head. I've been trying to wear big things like a couple of football jerseys with big arm holes. LOL

Danesa

Danesa
I broke my right hand (playing co-ed softball & sliding in to home plate) when I went back to collage, for my masters (at age 34.) I was a pitiful mess. haha Let's just say... crutches, backpacks, driving, taking notes left handed (I'm right handed) working nights as a registered nurse and still doing mom & wife duties ... its a time I'll never forget and hopefully never repeat. haha
I hope your shoulder heals quickly, Cheryl.

zanthia

CHEERY O
i have had surgery twice on my dominant hand due to arthritis - the first surgery couldnt use it for months and there was lots of PT afterwards - actually it was 2 differnt surgeries at one time but the one requiring PT was tendon transfer between fingers. second surgery was a wrist fusion which is like having permanent invisible cast on your wrist - you cannot bend it at all. and to this days typing is still very hard.

luckily for me even though i am a leftie i have always used the computer mouse with my right hand. And hubbie was extremely helpful .

cheryl , hope your should get better soon

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
i have been lucky so far, would not know how to deal with that and hope i never will.
my SIL was in a car accident last week and broke both wrists!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I broke my right hand (playing co-ed softball & sliding in to home plate) when I went back to collage, for my masters (at age 34.) I was a pitiful mess. haha Let's just say... crutches, backpacks, driving, taking notes left handed (I'm right handed) working nights as a registered nurse and still doing mom & wife duties ... its a time I'll never forget and hopefully never repeat. haha
I hope your shoulder heals quickly, Cheryl.
Wow Denesa, I feel like such a wimp right now. YIKES! You really had it bad, didn't you??? What a warrior you must be to have carried on like you did!! I bow to you.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
i have had surgery twice on my dominant hand due to arthritis - the first surgery couldnt use it for months and there was lots of PT afterwards - actually it was 2 differnt surgeries at one time but the one requiring PT was tendon transfer between fingers. second surgery was a wrist fusion which is like having permanent invisible cast on your wrist - you cannot bend it at all. and to this days typing is still very hard.

luckily for me even though i am a leftie i have always used the computer mouse with my right hand. And hubbie was extremely helpful .

cheryl , hope your should get better soon
Wow, you had it rough too! You're lucky you could use your mouse with your right hand, huh? I broke my wrist a long time ago - I stepped in a hole in a field and went down. It was my non dominant wrist, thankfully, but a really bad break. I love all of you sharing these stories with me.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
i have been lucky so far, would not know how to deal with that and hope i never will.
my SIL was in a car accident last week and broke both wrists!
I'm SO sorry, Madi. I hope she heals quickly. I can't imagine having both hands/arms disabled. :(

zanthia

CHEERY O
Been there! I was very slow with everything but the writing part was the worst part!

to this day i can hardly write - i call it chicken scratch at is i can barely read it. tried to write with off hand so while i can do a few words in print it is super hard and slow.

felis

Long ago I had small almost cosmetic surgery on the wrist of the right hand and wasn't able to use it for few months so I was even learned to handwrite with the other hand, but it was a quiet challenging. I have really low border of pain so I was protecting it a lot.
Using your opposite hand will strengthen neural connections in your brain, and even grow new ones. So it's not all black :p.
I think it would be cool to learn to crochet with left hand as its brings me some pain at that old injury, which was disappointing to find.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
to this day i can hardly write - i call it chicken scratch at is i can barely read it. tried to write with off hand so while i can do a few words in print it is super hard and slow.
Oh no - my writing is "chicken scratches" now so that might be bad. LOL

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Long ago I had small almost cosmetic surgery on the wrist of the right hand and wasn't able to use it for few months so I was even learned to handwrite with the other hand, but it was a quiet challenging. I have really low border of pain so I was protecting it a lot.
Using your opposite hand will strengthen neural connections in your brain, and even grow new ones. So it's not all black :p.
I think it would be cool to learn to crochet with left hand as its brings me some pain at that old injury, which was disappointing to find.
Actually, I have pretty good use of my left hand. When I was young, I was pretty much ambidextrious (sp) but over the years, I've lost a lot of it. I know that using your non dominant hand is good for your brain and I need to start using it more again. Do you think you could EVER learn to crochet with your other hand??? Interesting idea.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Knock on wood: I've never had to function without my right arm, cuz I'm pretty sure I would be totally helpless. I can basic allt hold stuff with my left hand, and that's it.

My sister was ambidextrous (sp?). It was so cool to get letters from her, cuz when she got tired from writing in one hand, she just switched. Only thing was that her writing with her right hand was slightly sloppier.

An uncle of mine broke both arms in an accident. Remember him saying that it was good they've been married for so long, cuz he was dependent on my aunt for everything, including whiping the bum. Lol

felis

Actually, I have pretty good use of my left hand. When I was young, I was pretty much ambidextrious (sp) but over the years, I've lost a lot of it. I know that using your non dominant hand is good for your brain and I need to start using it more again. Do you think you could EVER learn to crochet with your other hand??? Interesting idea.
I don't see why not :D:D. On IG have a lady that have only one hand and still crochet. The collets thing is that the first post is always is the finished products and they are amazing and what catched me to her profile. Then if you look close you'll see on second slide video how she is crochet it and there is where you realize she have only one hand. I know also about photographer without two palms. The human willpower have no limits!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Knock on wood: I've never had to function without my right arm, cuz I'm pretty sure I would be totally helpless. I can basic allt hold stuff with my left hand, and that's it.

My sister was ambidextrous (sp?). It was so cool to get letters from her, cuz when she got tired from writing in one hand, she just switched. Only thing was that her writing with her right hand was slightly sloppier.

An uncle of mine broke both arms in an accident. Remember him saying that it was good they've been married for so long, cuz he was dependent on my aunt for everything, including whiping the bum. Lol
Ooooooo your poor uncle! Breaking BOTH arms would stop you in your tracks! I can't even imagine what that would be like. Yes, he certainly was lucky to have your aunt. How awful! This makes me feel so much luckier - at least my hand is still functional, kind of.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I don't see why not :D:D. On IG have a lady that have only one hand and still crochet. The collets thing is that the first post is always is the finished products and they are amazing and what catched me to her profile. Then if you look close you'll see on second slide video how she is crochet it and there is where you realize she have only one hand. I know also about photographer without two palms. The human willpower have no limits!
I believe that, too. Felis. "Where there's a will, there's a way".

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
I’d actually function pretty good. I’m almost ambidextrous. I say almost because my writing would look like a 4th grader. I forced myself to start using my non dominant more when I realized I could become more efficient in doing so. :D

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I’d actually function pretty good. I’m almost ambidextrous. I say almost because my writing would look like a 4th grader. I forced myself to start using my non dominant more when I realized I could become more efficient in doing so. :D
SMART!