Oscraps

Ice Breaker: What Story Makes Your Family Laugh Every Time You Tell It?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
6.png
My family is known to be somewhat off of our collective rockers. Even though my kids are adults (they still live at home thanks to the pandemic and other life situations, not that Mama is complainin' ;) ), we still have dinner together most nights of the week. Often, they end up being hour-long laugh sessions with more and more ridiculous comments being tossed around. Joking with each other and pranking has a long history too. A few years ago, there was an incident that we are sure will be part of family canon for a long time. For the sake of family-friendliness here, I will leave it at a prank involving a pocket knife and a toilet bowl and the pocket knife almost ended up getting flushed. However, every time this story gets recounted, my daughter ends up laughing so hard she can't breathe.

Some of the other family stories involve Braxton, the family skeleton. He has been sitting in my dining room for over 2 years now since we couldn't find a place to keep him orgicianlly. As we would decorate for the holidays and for family theme nights, he would get dressed up as well. I have a few pages scrapped where you can see him participating in our party. Braxton makes us laugh a lot because you never know where he is going to turn up. Right now he is in the recliner with two skeleton pups on his lap. They have been waiting for him to take them for a walk- for a long time.
20211119_091931.jpg
here he is at our Christmas In July 2020 party

What is one story about your family that always gets everyone laughing even when they've heard it a hundred times? Funny family story layouts make great gifts. Use them as openers for different sections of your photo book or print & frame a copy to hang on your wall.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Oh Chris, you and your skellies. I love them - they're especially festive in their Santa hats. I will put a hat on mine this year - not sure I can find one tiny enough for Tex, but I have one for Lex.

We have a lot of funny family stories. Probably our favorites are the Sundays during church. Mom sang up in the choir, so she was constantly glaring at us - Dad was always up to some shenanigans or other, trying to make us girls laugh. Mom was usually mortified. We would try so hard to be good, so Mom would scold us, but it was hard when Dad sat there, straight-faced and innocent and put us up to laughing about something.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Cheryl, that sounds like my dad when Caitlyn graduated from preschool. She was in a town-sponsored PreK and they made a big fuss and the mayor handed out the "diplomas." She was onstage and I catch her making all of these funny faces. Look over at my dad and he is the one instigating! LOL

Last edited:

bcgal00

CHEERY O
In our family we have the (not meaning to be mean) habit of laughing at unfortunately accidents, we just can't help it. So every now and again I tell the story of how many years ago I was walking with my mom down a main street and she was so busy looking at the mannequin placed outside a cigar shop (do those even exist anymore?) that she walked face first into a street light pole and knocked herself out, falling backwards and off the sidewalk curb into the street. She was between two parked cars so not in danger of being hit by moving cars. I remember standing there in shock, wondering what the heck had happened. She was momentarily dazed and we got her up and she was ok. But we all laugh at that story b/c my mom was such a clutz (a really really big clutz, there are so many stories LOL) and that was just such a typical "mom" thing for her to do. The store owner came running out and just about had a heart attack with worry and fright that she was hurt badly. She was able to carry on with our walk and we giggled about it all the way home.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Rae-- my family is the same way-- we still make fun of Gary and Scott for cutting off the tips of their fingers!

We also have gallows humor and it is utterly *awful* but we have a joke about the vet who euthanized our cat and dog. We have only seen him twice and we laugh about how we pay him to kill our animals. To top it off he is shorter than Scott (he is only 5' 5") so he busts on him for that too. The poor man, just doing his job and he is teased nonstop by my terrible family

tjscraps

That skeleton cracks me up!

One that gets my family laughing each time is the story of how I never had a chair .... We were a family of 4 (my sister, mom, dad and I) and I was the youngest. My parents bought 3 tables in a row that only came with 3 chairs, so I had the odd chair out. Then they bought a house with an island and it only had 3 chairs too - I couldn't win! Now it makes us laugh every time we talk about it.