Oscraps

How organized are you?

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Well, let's see....
Paper and Computer Inventory and stored by alphabetic title - DVDs and VHS tapes
Books inventory in the works... stored by favorite authors in several book cases
Photos sorted into boxes - some by years.. others by theme/who/where
Photo albums sorted by theme in bookcases
Craft and sewing - sorted in bins, drawers, cabinets, hanging racks
Kitchen cabinets - sorted by type of dishes, pots/pans, crystal items,
Kitchen drawers - sorted into bins, holders, type of items,
Under sink - items sorted into bins
Pantry - sorted by item type, bins for various type of foods,
Fridge - shelves/bins for certain items... same for freezer
Buffets (2) - Good China sets in each one
Closets - clothes separated by type/color - same for dresser drawers

CT duties/Challenges - kept in notebook with 1 page per Forum/per month... check off when uploaded and done

Yep... I tend to be organized. :floorlaugh: I actually became organized because my hubby was SUPER ORGANIZED .... (military training plus naturally neat). He was an excellent role model with all his stuff so I picked up the same habits. He was a believer in having lots of different storage options and using them.

And... yes, when I was in college, I use different color high-lighters for different things - people, event, dates, etc.
3 of my kids were going to college with me at the same time and they used to tease me about it.
But that was why I was able to :multitasking:!

But I do NOT make a DAILY 'TO DO LIST'. Except for appointments - I do things as the spirit - and body - moves or allows.:rotfl:

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I wonder what you mean by organized... if it LOOKS organized, or if it IS organized. As a student, I could never for the life of me keep my desk neat, but I knew where everything was, never missed a deadline and was a good student. As a mom, my car was a mess, but we had everything we needed and were always on time. As a wife, my closets and kitchen cabinets are... not organzied in your classical 'ogranized' way, but everything is, as my husband puts it 'according to the lean principles of production flow'. The stuff we use every day is right there when you open it and I let 'life' sort the rest. For example, the pots, pans and spices we use the most tend to migrate to the front of the cabinets, while those we don't currently use get pushed back, but next month it might be different. The stuff we don't use often, like Christmas cookie cutters, etc, is in its own cabinet, and it takes just a couple of minutes to find what I need because I have a rough idea of where it could be. This sistem, largely 'hubby led' means HE knows where stuff is and I know where he'd put it.

My computer is a different matter - I have folders and sub-folders and sub-folders of sub-folders. I don't do colors or fonts or symbols. Just old-fashioned names and dates.

Google Photos has its own search algorythm so I don't bother cathegorising my photos in any other way.

In other words, I don't look very organzied, but I know 'what, where and when'. My hubby and I plan whenever possible - meticulously, to the smallest detail all the how's and when's and where's of life. I don't care if my daugher's room is a mess, but she MUST know when and where she's meeting her friend, how she's getting there, how much money she needs, when and how she's getting back home and if she would still need to work on her school work in the evening... When we come home to Europe for the summer, we plan and coordinate with our extended family for months in advance, so that everyone knows what the plan is and can make sure they are available and this way we all get to see each other. Some of our family members think we are planning freaks. But if I only have a little over three weeks and five places - in three countries - to visit - I can't just wing it... People have jobs and vacations and lives... Because even the best laid plans go awry, and when that happens, one will have the rest of the panning - experience and skills included - to fall back on.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Olga, that is a really good point- that a big part of being organized isn't necessarily how things *look* but how they *work* in everyday life.

ClaireG

CHEERY O
Well, we are surviving to this first litter. We have now four fat and growing beautiful babies but the mother is ready for the party again. Me and hubby are giving them milk in a bottle every 2 hours. Our lives run in the middle of this, LoL in the next 15 days we are expecting more babies and ... oh, man!! we are exhausted, we need at least one good night sleep.
View attachment 389023
I literally can't cope with the cuteness!! More babies!! Ana keep the photos coming x

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
This thread is awesome. @faerywings your DD and I need a chat. My workbook is colour coded by date/day using highlighters. I am so pedantic about it, I cut and punch my own paper!!

I love hearing what everyone else does, it's so cool. I have always been a bit of a slob, but moving to FL, gave me space to organise everything correctly, my long-suffering hubby is DELIGHTED that my slob has moved somewhere else!
I can't believe you were ever a slob. :rotfl: It totally helps if you have space. We downsized so much that space is our problem now. I have to get really creative. We have over the door organizers and have to "think vertical". I'm loving hearing everybody's ideas, too.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Well, let's see....
Paper and Computer Inventory and stored by alphabetic title - DVDs and VHS tapes
Books inventory in the works... stored by favorite authors in several book cases
Photos sorted into boxes - some by years.. others by theme/who/where
Photo albums sorted by theme in bookcases
Craft and sewing - sorted in bins, drawers, cabinets, hanging racks
Kitchen cabinets - sorted by type of dishes, pots/pans, crystal items,
Kitchen drawers - sorted into bins, holders, type of items,
Under sink - items sorted into bins
Pantry - sorted by item type, bins for various type of foods,
Fridge - shelves/bins for certain items... same for freezer
Buffets (2) - Good China sets in each one
Closets - clothes separated by type/color - same for dresser drawers

CT duties/Challenges - kept in notebook with 1 page per Forum/per month... check off when uploaded and done

Yep... I tend to be organized. :floorlaugh: I actually became organized because my hubby was SUPER ORGANIZED .... (military training plus naturally neat). He was an excellent role model with all his stuff so I picked up the same habits. He was a believer in having lots of different storage options and using them.

And... yes, when I was in college, I use different color high-lighters for different things - people, event, dates, etc.
3 of my kids were going to college with me at the same time and they used to tease me about it.
But that was why I was able to :multitasking:!

But I do NOT make a DAILY 'TO DO LIST'. Except for appointments - I do things as the spirit - and body - moves or allows.:rotfl:
Well, now I'm exhausted, Kay!!! Ready for a nap after reading this. You're the queen of organization!!! :multitasking::busy1::heartpumpred::heartpumpred:

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I wonder what you mean by organized... if it LOOKS organized, or if it IS organized. As a student, I could never for the life of me keep my desk neat, but I knew where everything was, never missed a deadline and was a good student. As a mom, my car was a mess, but we had everything we needed and were always on time. As a wife, my closets and kitchen cabinets are... not organzied in your classical 'ogranized' way, but everything is, as my husband puts it 'according to the lean principles of production flow'. The stuff we use every day is right there when you open it and I let 'life' sort the rest. For example, the pots, pans and spices we use the most tend to migrate to the front of the cabinets, while those we don't currently use get pushed back, but next month it might be different. The stuff we don't use often, like Christmas cookie cutters, etc, is in its own cabinet, and it takes just a couple of minutes to find what I need because I have a rough idea of where it could be. This sistem, largely 'hubby led' means HE knows where stuff is and I know where he'd put it.

My computer is a different matter - I have folders and sub-folders and sub-folders of sub-folders. I don't do colors or fonts or symbols. Just old-fashioned names and dates.

Google Photos has its own search algorythm so I don't bother cathegorising my photos in any other way.

In other words, I don't look very organzied, but I know 'what, where and when'. My hubby and I plan whenever possible - meticulously, to the smallest detail all the how's and when's and where's of life. I don't care if my daugher's room is a mess, but she MUST know when and where she's meeting her friend, how she's getting there, how much money she needs, when and how she's getting back home and if she would still need to work on her school work in the evening... When we come home to Europe for the summer, we plan and coordinate with our extended family for months in advance, so that everyone knows what the plan is and can make sure they are available and this way we all get to see each other. Some of our family members think we are planning freaks. But if I only have a little over three weeks and five places - in three countries - to visit - I can't just wing it... People have jobs and vacations and lives... Because even the best laid plans go awry, and when that happens, one will have the rest of the panning - experience and skills included - to fall back on.
I LOVE this, Olga! I might LOOK disorganized, but I've always known right where everything was. I'm still that way - my one rule is "don't touch my stuff". Everybody knows to leave my stuff right where I put it. One time, years ago, my "organizational hubby" decided to "organize" my paper scrapping stuff while I was gone for a month. My DD called me to warn me because she knew I'd have a fit when I got home. He had just retired and was bored and even organized the spices alphabetically. When I got home, I told him to never do that again. That's when "Don't Touch My Stuff" was born. He said he was just trying to help and I told him that he did not. I informed him that he needed to get a part time job. He did shortly after that.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I am a work in progress. I used to be a big time hoarder and my basement was a disaster area. Since I purged so much before we moved, this house is much less cluttered and I am organizing slowly. I have seen numerous Marie Kondo videos and love her dresser drawer organization. All my clothes are folded the way she recommends. My kitchen cupboards are organized and everything has to be put away properly or it drives me nuts. I have bins in the big lower cupboards i.e. one for square glass storage, one for tuperware, one for plastic stuff, etc. My dressing room is super organized, each cabinet/dresser has one type of clothing and closets are organized by style i.e. button down shirts in one closet, hoodies in another, etc. The more organized the house is, the better I feel. It took many years for me to get to this point but now I love living clutter-free and organized.