Oscraps

How long do you keep your layered files?

tjscraps

I'm coming to a crucial point on my EHD, I think I can free up a lot of space by getting rid of my layered TIFF files, but then was wondering if there was a reason I SHOULD keep them? I haven't been printing lately, but I don't usually open them back up, like ever.

Do you keep yours? For how long?

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I keep them all, I often use them as a 'template' when I have run out of mojo............. or sometimes I have put some effects on a photo so if I want to use that photo again with those effects I can just open it up and drag the photo onto a new layout. When the EHD gets filled up I just get another one....... and keep the filled up one as a backup for a little while. Now I have about 4 older ones that I have slowly reorganised so I have one for all my photos, one just for layouts, one just for products and so on. Works for me. :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Every year I delete all of my jpgs and then zip my psds. I will delete a LO if it is something that I did only for a challenge that means nothing to me or that I dislike. All of my pages are uploaded here so I don't feel like they are lost. But I keep the psds in case I I want to change something/add to it/find a typo a few years later that will make me bonkers

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I too keep them... because somewhere deep inside I believe I might need them... well, I switched software a few years back and all the older layered files are not compatible with the new one, so I deleted ALL of those - and kept just the jpegs - never regretted it and never needed to go back and edit those pages. lol...

That said, however... I still keep my layered files because I'm thinking so many of my pages would be album material one day, but not the same album. Sometimes, when I'm making an album for a family member or a friend, I'd reuse a page and just change the photos and journaling.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I keep them all too, not sure why? It must be a hoarder thing! I do not keep any of my zip files though, I trash those right after I have opened them. @wombat146 your system seems to be a good one!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I have every layout I've ever made on an EHD. I haven't filled it up yet, so I haven't had to decide yet what to do if I need more room. I do have a second EHD for all my supplies, so that helps.

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
I keep them all too. It has come in handy because several designers have moved shops and the gallery requirements change so I have to resize all the layouts.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I keep almost all of mine. You never know when you'll need them. If it's something a really dislike, then I might delete it. I have 4 EHD's though.

Kythe

CHEERY O
Nope. I delete them right after I finish and save the jpeg. I also delete the zip files from new kits. If I particularly like a page I have done and see a possible reuse, then and only then, do I keep it as a template. I also keep a jpeg of what the template looks like.

What I do keep is the original 12x12 jpeg in with the kit that was used to make it. That way if it needs to be resized I have the larger one. If I have used multiple kits I have a word doc with the kits used for each page and a link.

I don't keep my pages hidden away. I use them as a slideshow for my desktop. I do keep multiple EH's as a backup and refresh every two months.

tjscraps

Nope. I delete them right after I finish and save the jpeg. I also delete the zip files from new kits. If I particularly like a page I have done and see a possible reuse, then and only then, do I keep it as a template. I also keep a jpeg of what the template looks like.

What I do keep is the original 12x12 jpeg in with the kit that was used to make it. That way if it needs to be resized I have the larger one. If I have used multiple kits I have a word doc with the kits used for each page and a link.

I don't keep my pages hidden away. I use them as a slideshow for my desktop. I do keep multiple EH's as a backup and refresh every two months.
Ok so since yours is the last response I'll go with yours! lol!!

I can't believe that everyone keeps all of them ...making me rethink my decision! I only have the last couple years (out of 16 years digiscrapping) saved ...

Maybe I'll look at a new EHD lol

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
After a big crash I lost a lot - and thus the collecting has taken care of itself. I only have my work from the last 2 years.
***OMG*** almost hyper ventilating here. I would go CRAZY if this happened to me.

LSlycord

I usually trash them every 6 months or so. But I had never thought of using them as templates. I think I need to purchase a new EHD and get myself organized. (Getting myself organized seems to be a recurring theme in my life!)

I am stealing the idea from @wombat146 on how to organize these. Thanks for asking this question @tjscraps.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I usually trash them every 6 months or so. But I had never thought of using them as templates. I think I need to purchase a new EHD and get myself organized. (Getting myself organized seems to be a recurring theme in my life!)

I am stealing the idea from @wombat146 on how to organize these. Thanks for asking this question @tjscraps.
I even keep my zipped files....... on a separate EHD, they have come in handy quite a few times over the years..............when I moved over to Windows 10 from Win 7 I would say about 80% of product files were 'locked', don't know why it did that but I was able to plug in my zipped files EHD and copy the files I needed onto my main EHD and unzipped them again and all is good again. LOL!! :)

margje

The O is awesOme
I used to keep all my PSD files too! But the last years I got more organized in everything in the house and also with my digital stuff! I needed more space in my head too! That might sounds strange but it works for me! I keep only the very recent work and the things that are special and important to me! It still is a lot! But now it is also more easy to find everything!

*gina*

CHEERY O
***OMG*** almost hyper ventilating here. I would go CRAZY if this happened to me.
Be sure - I was frustrated - but gone is gone and can't be changed anymore - so look ahead and start collecting again. I have a lot of my pages shown on FB but the kits / collections and my psd-files are gone...

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
I don´t keep any of my PSD files form the layouts I have made, I delete them just after the layout is posted in the gallery. I keep jpg files from all of my work but, that´s it.

ClaireG

CHEERY O
I keep them all, but I have a tech hubby, so I have a server in my house! I think I will probably go back and delete some of the earlier ones, but I keep bumping into 'redo a previous layout' challenges, so I am kinda loathe to get rid of them!

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
This thread makes me feel like a horder. LOL The closest I've come to delete anything was when I organized my digiscrap supplies & put all pre-2010 supplies into a separate folder. Just ask me: how often do I use digiscrap supplies made before 2010?? LOL

ClaireG

CHEERY O
This thread makes me feel like a horder. LOL The closest I've come to delete anything was when I organized my digiscrap supplies & put all pre-2010 supplies into a separate folder. Just ask me: how often do I use digiscrap supplies made before 2010?? LOL
GIRL I am a hoarder with you, I am only getting rid of them IF hubby makes me..

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I store my jpeg LOs on smugmug and delete off my hard drive every week or two. I just started keeping PSD LOs on smugmug too, its fairly cheap.