Oscraps

How do you view kit folder?

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I have used acdsee for a long time but recently it has gotten corrupted and they can't figure out how to get it working again on my windows computer so...

When I viewed kit folders in the acdsee program, the kit preview would be visible so I could get an idea of the kit contents and colors which is helpful when using multiple kits on a layout. A similar software, adobe photoshop bridge, doesn't show the kit preview so I don't know what the kit looks like until I open up the folder to see the preview which is time consuming. I hate this.

What do you all do? I think on a mac you see the kit preview but not on a pc which is what I have. Is this a function I will have to give up or do you know of a way to accomplish this?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Well, I don't have a Mac, and one of the things I detest about Windows 11 is the way the folders are viewed. They are not like they used to be - but they are horizontal instead of vertical. That took some getting used to for me. I THINK windows got a lot of negative feedback bacause now, you can at least see a snippet of what's in the folder, if that makes sense.

I just don't understand why they can't leave things alone. I'm getting used to it, but I don't like it.

AK_Tracy

I have a Mac. I dont have a preview on my folders. Might be I just dont know how to set it that way but I have looked and cant figure it out. So, no help here. :giggle4:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I use Windows 10 and can only see a small piece of what is in the folder but I am s-l-o-w-l-y adding all the kit previews into a new folder at the top of the designer folder. This is an example of what I mean, I find it is especially handy for the 52 Insp. products as I can just click on the Preview folder and see all of my stash at a glance.

For instance, this is what I would normally see if I just clicked on the 2024 52 Insp. folder:

1716612556908.png

You will notice, in that folder I have one called 1 PREVIEWS - this contains a copy of all of the previews from each week of the 52 Insp I have downloaded for 2024 to date, so now, when I click on that folder I see this:

1716612773332.png

I can then click on each preview for a closer look and if I want to use something I just go to that week's product ie, on the selected preview above, _52-2024-07-jhd-floralgrunge-16.jpg I can now just go to that folder to get what I need.

In my other designer folders I tend to move the previews right out of the original folder where possible instead of copying it, just to save some space but I am not really worried about how much space it is taking up. :)

But as mentioned, it is a slow process and it may not suit everyone but that is just my way of doing it. :)

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
How do you keep Windows 11 from downloading, Ona? I finally gave up - my IT guy told me that Windows 10 was "going away" soon. I HATE 11!!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
How do you keep Windows 11 from downloading, Ona? I finally gave up - my IT guy told me that Windows 10 was "going away" soon. I HATE 11!!
SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH! They may have forgotten about me!!! :wardrobehide::couchhide: It was on my refurbished pc when I bought it about 3 years ago and have never had any notices about upgrading............. :greengrin:

A-M

If you want the actual image of the preview of a kit to show instead of the actual image of a folder you need to convert the JPEG image of the kit preview to an ICO file. I have Pixillion Image Converter which I purchased for on my last computer and was able to download it again to use. It did not cost much but there are online sites you can use but I prefer not doing that.
I have not done this for some time as it is time consuming to set it all up.
HERE is a Youtube with instructions which suggest using online file converters.

Here is a screen shot of one of my folders for kits by O Scrap designers:

1716629763169.png

Last edited:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
If you want the actual image of the preview of a kit to show instead of the actual image of a folder you need to convert the JPEG image of the kit preview to an ICO file. I have Pixillion Image Converter which I purchased for on my last computer and was able to download it again to use. It did not cost much but there are online sites you can use but I prefer not doing that.
I have not done this for some time as it is time consuming to set it all up.
HERE is a Youtube with instructions which suggest using online file converters.

Here is a screen shot of one of my folders for kits by O Scrap designers:

View attachment 419710
Ooh, Anne-Marie, that sounds like a great idea! I'm going to remember that. For now, I do what Ona described for my 52 Inspirations downloads, but that's the only product category I've done it for. The rest of my designer folders just have the typical folders with their limited views of the contents.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Thanks Ona and Anne-Marie for sharing what works for you. I'm not sure if it's something I want to do but, has anyone put previews into lightroom to view?

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
This is an excellent video by Vicki Robinson that shows how to change the blue folder on a Mac computer to the kit preview. I spent hours and hours doing this! I love my files now because it's easy to see what the kit looks like without opening the folder.

Last edited:

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I have a Mac. I dont have a preview on my folders. Might be I just dont know how to set it that way but I have looked and cant figure it out. So, no help here. :giggle4:
Watch this video! It shows how to convert the blue folders on Macs to the kit previews!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I think I need to take back my thanks :floorlaugh: I just spent 4 hours changing the look of all my folders :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh: I am thankful I only have a years worth of folders.

seriously thought, this was so helpful and will be amazing now that I am done.
It if makes you feel any better, I have years worth of kits! I have only done my ct kits at this point but will work on the others as I have time. I do love the way it makes my folders look!:heartpumpred:

AK_Tracy

It if makes you feel any better, I have years worth of kits! I have only done my ct kits at this point but will work on the others as I have time. I do love the way it makes my folders look!:heartpumpred:
Yes! The folders look amazing and fun now!! :heartpumppink: They feel artistic now.

mimes1

CHEERY O
Moving over from SG gives me a fresh start on organizing files! I won’t change anything with my 500 GB of SG stuff :jawdrop3: But will start organizing thumbnail folders here to get a quick look at everything. Thanks for the question Rae and to all for the info that followed! Great ideas and tips.

Kythe

I use Windows 10 and can only see a small piece of what is in the folder but I am s-l-o-w-l-y adding all the kit previews into a new folder at the top of the designer folder. This is an example of what I mean, I find it is especially handy for the 52 Insp. products as I can just click on the Preview folder and see all of my stash at a glance.

For instance, this is what I would normally see if I just clicked on the 2024 52 Insp. folder:

View attachment 419697

You will notice, in that folder I have one called 1 PREVIEWS - this contains a copy of all of the previews from each week of the 52 Insp I have downloaded for 2024 to date, so now, when I click on that folder I see this:

View attachment 419698

I can then click on each preview for a closer look and if I want to use something I just go to that week's product ie, on the selected preview above, _52-2024-07-jhd-floralgrunge-16.jpg I can now just go to that folder to get what I need.

In my other designer folders I tend to move the previews right out of the original folder where possible instead of copying it, just to save some space but I am not really worried about how much space it is taking up. :)

But as mentioned, it is a slow process and it may not suit everyone but that is just my way of doing it. :)
That is exactly what I do. It is a great help to quickly see the kits of each

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH! They may have forgotten about me!!! :wardrobehide::couchhide: It was on my refurbished pc when I bought it about 3 years ago and have never had any notices about upgrading............. :greengrin:
Maybe your lucky and your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11. I so regret upgrading from 10.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Maybe your lucky and your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11. I so regret upgrading from 10.
Oh good, then I may not have to worry, the pc is still chugging along quite nicely so I might be okay for a while. :greengrin:

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
This is an excellent video by Vicki Robinson that shows how to change the blue folder on a Mac computer to the kit preview. I spent hours and hours doing this! I love my files now because it's easy to see what the kit looks like without opening the folder.
Thanks so much for the shout out @EvelynD2 !