Oscraps

How do you print your albums?

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I'm really bad about not printing out my layouts, although the plan is to create a yearly book for each grandchild. I'm 10 yrs behind on the oldest one....:>(

I have used layouts for calendar toppers and have printed those at shutterfly.....I'm pretty pleased with them.

LOL Fran.

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I have used Blurb and am happy with them. I don't print hardly as much as I should.

I wish I was organized enough to print out regularly. That'd be cool.

Agreed Aino. I print about twice per year, when I get my act together :D

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I'm really amazed at how many of us don't print! I want that page in my sticky hot hand and love putting them in albums. This is when I deign to let dh look at them.

As I do each layout, and save the psd, 3600, and whatever size I need for uploading, I put the 3600 right in a folder called 2BPrinted. I print them in batches of 50 which is what I got at the sales at SS and Pernsickity - the credit vouchers. I think it ended up being $1.79 per layout. It IS photo paper and I only once got some others printed somewhere else with the 99c special. I got what I paid for - thin thin stuff.

Once I get my layouts back, I transfer the printed jpegs from 2BPrinted to Done. All this lives on my big ehd. Can you tell I like my computer organized? :typing:

Carol, have you ever estimated what it costs to print a 12x12? I'm not going there I know but I'm curious you know.

You'd be AMAZED at how many people don't. It's effort but worth it. I think for me it comes down to wanted to create something new if I have spare time. KWIM?

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I did my first 8x8 Glossy Hard Cover Shutterfly album this spring and was thrilled with results! There's nothing quite like holding it in your hands - DH took it with him to UK to show family and friends - I will definitely do another one!

I was surprised that the 8x8 size - thought it would be small but really is a sensible size.
I've had single pages printed at Persnickety but from now on will do albums.

They make wonderful gifts and if you subscribe to Shutterfly's newletter you will get special offers -
My 24 page book cost just over $26 Canadian - with shipping!

I always feel that way about 8 X 8 too. I tend do go with 12 X 12 but is really dependent on how many photos I have on a page.

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I have printed stuff at home mainly but I am so far behind in that that I want to have some books printed. Recently I visited Artscow.com, a site my daughter has used in the past, and saw a 'deal' for a 10 page 6x4 album for a mere $4.99 FREE delivery to Australia!

So I tried them and I LOVE IT!! only wanted to try out small to see the quality and I am very impressed. I have signed up for their newsletter and honestly, every week there is some sort of sale going on.

They also do a lot of gifty type things like key rings etc. I remember my daughter bought a shoulder bag last Christmas for one of her nieces with her photo on it..........that was a hit!!! :)

This is the site if anyone is interested:
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts

I did some dog tags with them for Ella's birthday which she and her friends loved.
http://annaaspnes.typepad.com/anna/2011/07/digitalcrafting.html

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I have a file system a bit like Maureen's on my hard drive and basically print everything. I used to get 12x12s printed individually (have a GREAT place in the UK charging 75p/0.85€/$1.15, but shipping a little steep) but as I now have dozens of full & very heavy 12x12 albums escaping out of my study, I've had to promise not to do this form of printing any more! So I do a once a year photo book with Blurb at 7x7 of approx 150 pages, and about once every 2 yrs 8.5x11 book with Shutterfly as this size is not available with Blurb and I can't buy photo paper this size in the UK. I've done several Shutterfly books, but the pricing system of a per page charge is just too steep for me and when you add the per book shipping costs (a year ago it was $13 PER BOOK!), I vowed not to use them unless I'm really stuck size wise. Also, I've always been driven mad altering each LO to fit the Shutterfly templates. Thank goodness Blurb's system lets you drop a 12x12 LO into the book and it will resize for you to 7x7. I also tend to do a number of smaller albums for specific projects and get these printed when Blurb is doing an offer - which usually happens around November - last year I had about 4 or 5 projects printed this way - awesome, cheap & tactile, love it!

Has anyone tried Artscow? Their prices are amazing but I have read some rather negative feedback.

You GO GIRL with the printing. I haven't tried ArtsCow and I have heard mixed responses. They're on my list to try.

Here's a great Photo Book comparison:
http://thedailydigi.com/12-different-photobook-printer-reviews/

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I've used Shutterfly and Blurb to print books so far and Scrapping Simply for single pages. Overall I've been happy with all of them.

Maureen - I love the idea of putting the 3600 size pages in a To Be Printed file. I haven't been keeping good track of the single pages which need printing.

I love getting the printed pages back and have been amazed at how some of them look much better IRL than on the computer!

I have a similar folder kept with my .psds and I delete the .jpgs once I have printed them.

ValerieP

I made books with Shutterfly before they changed things, and also Photobook America with the groupon coupon, I liked it enough I have bought two more coupons! They also have an 11x11 size that I like.

annaaspnes

annaaspnes
Designer
I made books with Shutterfly before they changed things, and also Photobook America with the groupon coupon, I liked it enough I have bought two more coupons! They also have an 11x11 size that I like.

Like the sound of 11 X 11. I have always thought 10 X 10 would be a good size too.