Oscraps

Have you ever travelled alone?

tjscraps

My sister (lives in TN) decided on a whim to go to Dallas for the weekend, by herself. She was supposed to go with her hubby a few weeks ago but his aunt passed and they had the funeral, etc. so had to delay it, and then he had to go back to work. So she booked a flight Wednesday and went on her own.

Made me think - have you ever travelled alone? Like really alone - not meeting up with people on the other end, just by yourself to see new sights?

As a mom of 2 this seems foreign to me lol The closest I can get to this is when I flew to Las Vegas in 2012 for a digital scrapbooking convention - but I was meeting up with people I *knew* (from online, had never met in person), so I wouldn't say I was alone, as a lot of the activity was planned. I flew to Tennessee for a weekend by myself once for my sister's birthday as well, but met up with my mom and dad at the airport, who flew from a different location for the same reason.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Most of the time - I rarely have had anybody to go with. I don't mind it - I can do whatever I want.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I've flown alone a lot. To and from home to college. To a couple of weddings. Trips to visit David when we were dating. A trip to my class reunion. Once to meet up with a friend for a women's conference we were attending together. I've only traveled alone for a weekend to Salt Lake over 20 years ago. Even then I met some Internet friends briefly and had a couple of meals with another friend but I spent most of the weekend alone doing what I wanted.

tjscraps

I don't think I'd even know what to do if I had a weekend ... or a day ... to 'do what I want'. That's an overwhelming thought!!!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Never... I have made the journey alone a number of times, but it was always to meet with either family or friends...

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I don't think I ever have. Unless the one time, if you count running away, that I took off for a weekend. *semi tongue in cheek*
This was when everyone in my family was first diagnosed with Lyme and I couldn't take it. I was caring for two sick kids and a disabled DH, on top of being sick myself. I grabbed the dog and went to my parents' house by myself. I don't think I left the house other than to take my dog for walks.
Did I drive to my destination alone: Yes.
Was I at my destination alone?: Yes.
Would I count that as Travel?: Naaaahh ;)

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I never did ...
I don't have family abroad ... and Belgium is a small country ...
I always go on holiday with my husband ... the few times I was away from home without him, I was out with about ten colleagues as supervisors for about 50 students from our school ...

Caro

CHEERY O
Never have and I don't think I ever will..I have anxiety about that in general :eek:

44bkK5y.gif

Edit: As I was adding this gif to my post, I remembered when I was 20 I went to Mexico for a couple months to visit my Aunt and Grandma all by myself and I can't believe I did that..There was a layover and everything..wow I'm actually proud of my young self :p

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
Nope. Haven't travelled alone....let me tell you, it sounds tempting at times... but I really like capturing the moments with someone else. I do know that a trip to Africa will be myself or with my daughter and in turn with a larger group of strangers.

I also want to do a 3 month medical mission trip after my kids are out of the house.... so while it won't be alone, it won't be with my family.

Caro

CHEERY O
Nope. Haven't travelled alone....let me tell you, it sounds tempting at times... but I really like capturing the moments with someone else. I do know that a trip to Africa will be myself or with my daughter and in turn with a larger group of strangers.

I also want to do a 3 month medical mission trip after my kids are out of the house.... so while it won't be alone, it won't be with my family.
Remember, we have a "get away from our families while they're not looking" trip planned! ;)

zt1K130.gif

bcgal00

CHEERY O
When the kids were young I traveled from Ontario to here, in BC, to visit family and left the kids with my aunt. That was my one and only time that I traveled alone. I often go off in the car for a day long trip but always come home by bedtime.

felis

Generally I hate to travel, I'm very homebody person and also fan of this TV shows that shows how dirty the world is, everything hotel rooms, restaurants and ect. scares me lol. :p
But I adore to travel alone with train (beside that they are very dirty too). I had to do that every week during the collage and met so many interesting people. It's really allows you to chat with strangers honestly and opened, which will be ruined if you are surrounded by family/friends that occupied your attention.
Also concerts, I love to be alone on concerts as I need all my attention to be on to the stage, not around me. Which including the whole experience around that: the traveling to the town, stay alone at the night before, and hopefully ending on an afterparty.

Last edited:

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
Never with a plane, and like Marijke said Belgium is a small country, so that is easy to ride alone in the car..

scrap-genie

Like others here I've gone to conferences or classes alone but to be with people when I arrived. Just on my own I've done day trips, especially birding or to art shows, but when younger. Now that we're retired not likely to happen.

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
I don't think I could travel alone via airplane! However, I have taken off on 9 hour trips via car on my own with no problem! I only stop for gas and food and potty break and generally all 3 at one stop if possible! There are too many weirdos around that are looking for prey to allow me to stop just on a whim!