Oscraps

Gyms and Fitness Clubs

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I currently have a membership at the community center of a neighboring city that allows me to take any of their fitness classes for a monthly fee. I have just decided to switch to a new gym that is closer to my home and costs less than the community center membership. Since there is no shortage of fitness clubs where I live, I chose this gym mainly because they offer a wide selection of group classes. I told the trainer who was showing me around to not even bother showing me the treadmills, stair climbers, weight machines, etc., because I need the schedule of classes to motivate me to exercise. Otherwise, I just won't do it!

How about you? To engage in the physical activity we all need to stay healthy, do you pay good money like I do, :bounce: or do you have the mindset and motivation that allows you to be active without having to pay for it? :high5:

Kythe

CHEERY O
My daughter has been at me for ages to smarten up and get more fit. So as she is a human kinetics prof at the local universities she knows some excellent personal trainers. She knows I hate exercising in general and classes are just not for me. She now has me enrolled with a personal trainer that sets a simple program specifically for me to do at home via video with facetime assessments and the odd time face to face at his studio. It isn’t all cardio just one that will get me moving and improve my balance and strength as I head into my 70’s

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I did fitness for years, but it became such a task because of the duration. I also had injuries everywhere, or it was because of my fibromyalgia I don't know. In the beginning I was very happy, but I have temporarily stopped my subscription.
I walk a lot, and I plan to participate in an event in September to walk 50 km!

timounette

CHEERY O
I pay for aquagym classes. I try to go there 2 or 3 times per week, and the other day I do cycling at home.

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I Don 't do fitness. I don 't like it.
I walk, ride my bycicle.
I do like some sports, like tennis or squash, but I Don 't want to do or in a regular basis.

margje

The O is awesOme
I have 2 aqua power gym lessons weekly and go for walks!I play with my grandchildren a lot! That should keep me fit!

CindaA

It had been a long time since I worked out. The year I turned 40 I trained for and completed a sprint triathlon. After that, I really fell off the wagon! I joined Club Pilates last spring and have been getting there consistently. I am much stronger and balanced now. This year I will be 50. I like pilates because it is easy on the joints and is something every age or body type can do.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I have never been in a gym!
Last spring I started walking, and still do that three times a week.
And i use my bicycle to get around, do shopping etc.
And one night a week it is dance night, we do ballroom, latin , a mix of everything.
That is just for fun.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Wow, Cinda, a triathlon--that is so cool!

I haven't really worked out consistently in years. Between Lyme Disease issues and several surgeries since 2014, it feels like my body has fallen apart too.
When I am able to, I like to walk and I do lots of yardwork and gardening in the spring and summer. I know that I need to get into a better routine. It is hard to get motivated esp when everything hurts haha!

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I walk my dogs two to three times a day. Each dog is walked separately because they can't behave on walks if they are together. So its like four to six walks but they aren't really aerobic cause my dogs are in no hurry to get where they are going. lol I've been thinking of joining a gym where I can take zumba classes cause I really enjoy it when I've done it in the past.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I swim laps twice a week and belong to a hiking group. However over the Christmas season I have been very bad for not going to either. I plan on beginning both again this week, now that DH is back to work and things are not so busy.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I gave up my gym membership b/c it was getting too hard to find time to go to gym plus fit in the time to take Taz out a few times a day for his walks/hikes. So now I get out a few times a day walking with Taz and I slacked off on jogging with him but we'll start jogging together again this week. I do miss the weight lifting classes and really have to figure out a time to get that in at home (I have free weights and steps so can work a routine in my basement). I need a scheduel b/c even though I love how I feel after I work out and of course its so good for my body....but I'm so good at procrastinating that I have to put a schedule on the calendar and then make myself stick to it.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I need a schedule b/c even though I love how I feel after I work out and of course its so good for my body....but I'm so good at procrastinating that I have to put a schedule on the calendar and then make myself stick to it.

Yes! Having to be at the gym for a class that starts at 9:00am is what gets me there! Otherwise I'll put off my exercise until 10:00am, then 11:00am, then noon, then.....you get the idea!

CindaA

I have never been in a gym!
Last spring I started walking, and still do that three times a week.
And i use my bicycle to get around, do shopping etc.
And one night a week it is dance night, we do ballroom, latin , a mix of everything.
That is just for fun.

I love the dance night!

felis

We don't visit gym/fitness because hate how men stares at you. And no one like to be seen sweat.

My sister brought home fitness simulator for them. Till I have virtual yoga classes and dog to keep me walk daily with no chance for excuses LOL! My friend have personal trainer which visit her at home.

FloridaGranny

Like some of you, I don't like gyms because I'm too self-conscious and don't like people watching me. (I should say I hate to exercise, LOL). I was given a little Fitbit that hooks onto my underwear and tells me how many steps I take each day. I thought I'd never wear it, but it turns out I love how it motivates me! I also use You Tube video yoga classes that I can do at home. But not as often as I probably should. Does anyone else have trouble staying motivated?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
FloridaGranny (I am sorry, I cannot remember your real name!)- If you have Amazon Prime, they also have a great selection of yoga classes. There are some that are tailored for back and neck pain -- relief, not for causing it :D

Unfortunately, due to my neverending problems with my ankle- I can't do a lot of yoga at the moment. But thinking about it, I might be able to find some that focus on upper body... TY for triggering that thought for me.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
we have gyms that have seperate departments, just for women
but that still does not get me there!

FloridaGranny

Thanks, faerywings! (Sorry, I don't remember your real name either.) We do have Amazon Prime and that's a place I never thought to look. Good suggestion! The fact that they have a bunch of different yoga classes might be a good way to stay motivated, too. That's a shame about your ankle, but I can imagine you have to take it easy for now. Feet do a lot of work in yoga! Thanks for the help. Diane (former New Jersey person).
Oh, funny, Madi (Diane). Yes, getting there is the hard part, isn't it?

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I love the dance night!
me too,
every thursday we have a dance class, for the winter season.
30 lessons each year, summers are off!
really fun to do, and we have been doing it for 25 years already!!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Ooh, I'm going to have to check out Amazon Prime for videos too. I just got Prime before Christmas for some free shipping and just haven't gotten around to cancelling it yet. I do like the new gym so far. The classes I've taken there will do nicely for me, I think.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Thanks, faerywings! (Sorry, I don't remember your real name either.) We do have Amazon Prime and that's a place I never thought to look. Good suggestion! The fact that they have a bunch of different yoga classes might be a good way to stay motivated, too. That's a shame about your ankle, but I can imagine you have to take it easy for now. Feet do a lot of work in yoga! Thanks for the help. Diane (former New Jersey person).
Oh, funny, Madi (Diane). Yes, getting there is the hard part, isn't it?
Hey Diane (commits your name to memory which will last an undetermined amount of time LOL)
PT for the ankle starts on Monday- I did 2 months last summer after surgery in March and now I have to go back. Does that count as exercise? heh.
I hope that you find some good yoga on Prime.
Chris <-- wishes she lived in FL instead of NJ most days