Oscraps

Font Categories?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Last week I did it! I deleted all of my fonts. I reinstalled a few of my favorites and ones that I used most often. Just a "few." I forced myself to keep them to 100. For me, that is truly a few. hah. My next step is to better organize the installed ones so I can find and load the ones that I need quickly. I am asking for some help with that.

Right now, I use ACDSee Photo Manager to view fonts. I can load them by Rebuilding Metadata and then open Photoshop. I have the uninstalled fonts separated into folders such as Billboard/Bold, Brush Script, Doodles, CK/Cute, Handwriting, Movies and Media, Typewriter. I have 29 folders and even more subfolders. :eek:

There *has* to be an easier way.

I have installed and uninstalled both NexusFont and FontBase a gazillion times over the years. @AZK, you mentioned that you use Nexus Font. Can you designate watched folders in that like you can with Font Base? I have FontBase "watching" the folders that I have organized in ACDSee but I still have to find the folder with the appropriate fonts to activate them. With 29+ Folders it does take a while.

Can you all tell me what types of categories you would use to organize fonts?
I looked at the way Dafont does as well as 1001 Free Fonts. I think the 1001 way makes more sense to me and seems to be more similar to my categories. I am guessing from the way Angie describes NexusFont, you can tag the same font with several categories - the same as 1001 Fonts does. But I am not sure if it would be easier to use a different font manager over ACDSee that I am currently using.

I guess the most straightforward thing would be to just stop hoarding fonts.

*picks myself up off the floor*

Yeah, that is not going to happen. *G* So now I need to find a way to clean up the hoarding mess I have now.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated and there are no stupid suggestions (obviously, deleting all of my fonts completely is the exception to that :D )

Please help!

LSlycord

Last week I did it! I deleted all of my fonts. I reinstalled a few of my favorites and ones that I used most often. Just a "few." I forced myself to keep them to 100. For me, that is truly a few. hah. My next step is to better organize the installed ones so I can find and load the ones that I need quickly. I am asking for some help with that.

Right now, I use ACDSee Photo Manager to view fonts. I can load them by Rebuilding Metadata and then open Photoshop. I have the uninstalled fonts separated into folders such as Billboard/Bold, Brush Script, Doodles, CK/Cute, Handwriting, Movies and Media, Typewriter. I have 29 folders and even more subfolders. :eek:

There *has* to be an easier way.

I have installed and uninstalled both NexusFont and FontBase a gazillion times over the years. @AZK, you mentioned that you use Nexus Font. Can you designate watched folders in that like you can with Font Base? I have FontBase "watching" the folders that I have organized in ACDSee but I still have to find the folder with the appropriate fonts to activate them. With 29+ Folders it does take a while.

I looked at the way Dafont does as well as 1001 Free Fonts. I think the 1001 way makes more sense to me and seems to be more similar to my categories. I am guessing from the way Angie describes NexusFont, you can tag the same font with several categories - the same as 1001 Fonts does. But I am not sure if it would be easier to use a different font manager over ACDSee that I am currently using.

I guess the most straightforward thing would be to just stop hoarding fonts.

*picks myself up off the floor*

Yeah, that is not going to happen. *G* So now I need to find a way to clean up the hoarding mess I have now.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated and there are no stupid suggestions (obviously, deleting all of my fonts completely is the exception to that :D )

Please help!
Oh my goodness. Now I am exhausted from thinking about this!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
For a little direction, you might look at Da Font - their fonts are categorized and would be a great starting point, Chris.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O

I don't have my fonts organized in any way outside of NexusFont. They are all just hanging out in one big folder called Fonts. In the screenshot below that whole folder was imported and called Scrapbooking. The collections underneath are the categories I created for tagging the different styles of fonts in that folder. I suppose you could add each of your folders to the library since they are already organized, but I don't know if that gets you any further than you are already.

Screenshot 2022-02-14 135347.jpg

Last edited:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I don't have my fonts organized in any way outside of NexusFont. They are all just hanging out in one big folder called Fonts. In the screenshot below that whole folder was imported and called Scrapbooking. The collections underneath are the categories I created for tagging the different styles of fonts in that folder. I suppose you could add each of your folders to the library since they are already organized, but I don't know if that gets you any further than you are already.

View attachment 365647
TFS! I might try installing this again and see if I can get the hang of tagging fonts in it. I am guessing that you can activate fonts instantly too? That might be easier than how I have to do it in ACDSee.

I am tellin' ya-- it is way easier keeping a million fonts installed.
(not really but it feels like it! LOL!)

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
TFS! I might try installing this again and see if I can get the hang of tagging fonts in it. I am guessing that you can activate fonts instantly too? That might be easier than how I have to do it in ACDSee.

I am tellin' ya-- it is way easier keeping a million fonts installed.
(not really but it feels like it! LOL!)

If I want to use a specific font in PSE I have to open NexusFont first and either have the Scrapbooking folder open if I want access to ALL my fonts, or just a single collection if I'm only looking to use a specific font, for example, a Typewriter font for journaling. If I close the collection or NexusFont, PSE won't see the font anymore and try to replace it with one of the system fonts, so that's a disadvantage.

Adryane

aA Creative Team Member
You what? I think I had to read that first sentence 3x. I have no advice because I keep all my fonts loaded all the time and just scroll through and watch them change on the page until I find what I want.