Oscraps

Flu Shot

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Hey everyone, did you get the Flu Shot this year?? I have been trying to get one since November, but none of the clinics or Drug Stores have any of the vaccine in. :mmph: I have a Dr. appt coming up in February and will see if I can get one then, but perhaps it will be too late? Now here in Canada we are all starting to worry about the Corona Virus! With one case in Vancouver and two in Toronto. Keeping our fingers crossed that it will not cross over the water and come here to Vancouver Island, but I think it is just a matter of time. Have any of you heard of any cases where you live?

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Trudy, I got my flu shot last fall when they first released it. Hope you can get one. I heard that they are working on one for the Corona Virus. I know what you mean about being concerned about it. I am due for the new pneumonia booster.

margje

The O is awesOme
I got one in October! First time I took one! I have to say it works untill now! Last year I had more sick days already! The Corona virus has me worried too! It is spreading very quick around the world!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
There were 3 suspected cases here in Michigan that turned out not to be the coronavirus. A fourth case is still awaiting results. Detroit Metro Airport just started screening passengers from China, a little behind other major airports in the US.

My ex-husband's cousin just returned to China from a vacation in Thailand (her husband has worked there for the last 6-7 years) and they are currently legally required to wear masks when out in public. All public venues are closed, some grocery stores are still open. He was supposed to go back to work on Monday but that might get put off for another week.

I have only taken one or two flu vaccinations in my life. If I'm at the doctor's already when it is available I get it, but if not I don't make a special trip. I have only had the flu once in my life, about 20 years ago, so I consider myself very fortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I don't get the flu shots. I have a genetic variation that makes me not handle them well, so I take a pass. I am not an anti-vaxxer, I just can't take that one.

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
Oh my Vicki how sad that you are unable to get vaccinated!! have you contracted the flu in the last few years?

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
AZK wow you have been so fortunate to not have had the flu many times in your life!! My biggest concern is passing it to our elderly parents, mine have passed but my hubby’s are still alive and we see them often!

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
Luckily I have never had the flu ... when I was still at school, I often had a bad cold and I took a vaccine against respiratory infections ... that helped ...
I have never been vaccinated for flu ...
The flu is in the country but it is not yet an epidemic ...

There are no cases of Corona virus in Belgium yet ... but it is spreading fast ...

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
We get offered flu shots from the age of 60, and this year i expect my first call, usually October or November. You can get the vaccin yourself and take it to the doctor for the shot yourself but i have never done that.
The corona virus is scary

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I haven't gotten a flu shot in a long, long time. While I was being treated for Lyme, I couldn't get one because my immune system was totally haywire. I have only been"stable" for the last year. I was going to get one this year and then I didn't and now I don't know if it is worth it or not. I am not out in public a lot of the time. However, my DD has a new internship at a preschool 2/days a week. She already is concerned that she will get sick a lot. I should encourage her to get hers ASAP.

As for Corona, I flip between being worried and not worried. Right now, I am not worried but talk to me in a few hours LOL

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
Luckily I have never had the flu ... when I was still at school, I often had a bad cold and I took a vaccine against respiratory infections ... that helped ...
I have never been vaccinated for flu ...
The flu is in the country but it is not yet an epidemic ...

There are no cases of Corona virus in Belgium yet ... but it is spreading fast ...

Wow lucky you to have never had the flu!! You must live right!! I hope that you never get it!

taxed4ever

CHEERY O
Diane the flu shot is available for everyone here, no charge for kids or seniors or caregivers so very few have to pay. Do not need a doctor to inject it here, nurses or pharmacy people can give us the shot. I used to get my sister to give it to me, she was an expert with needles as she used to work in the lab at the hospital and often gave out shots to people. They would all ask for her because she was so gentle.

CindaA

No coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Ohio, but health officials have tested two Miami University students who recently traveled to China.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Oh my Vicki how sad that you are unable to get vaccinated!! have you contracted the flu in the last few years?

I can't honestly remember if I've ever had the flu. Plenty of other illnesses but not the flu lol But, the one year I got the shot, I got very, VERY sick and it took a long time to recover. Years later I learn that people with the MTHFR gene don't do well with flu shots so I opt out. Alyx also opts out.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Funny, Anthony has to get the flu shot every year for his work and he pretty much gets the flu every year.

One of my co-workers got type A flu 2 weeks before they did the shots at work. Then she got type B....

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I have had the flu sprayed for years because my husband's resistance has diminished. That is because he has to take medication for the MS, and therefore he has almost no resistance.
Now, despite the flu spray, I fell ill on New Year's Eve but with a viral infection.

At my work, all employees are given the opportunity to have a free flu shot.

Danesa

Danesa
In 1984, when working as a nurse, I got the mandatory flu shot. I had a horrible reaction and was told to never get it again. Then, after retirement, after I moved to NC, they talked me into another one and it made me sicker than anything in my life. So I am never allowed to take it again. Then, after chemo, my immune system is still weak so my oncologist says NO shot. I haven’t had the flu in over 15 years. So, keeping my fingers crossed!! :)

vivaartistry

Designer
I have not gotten the flu shot and don't usually get it. I very rarely get sick but this year I got sick twice in Jan...first the flu (LOL) and then husband returned from overseas sick and gave it to me but I don't think it was the flu, just a bad cold.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I get the flu shot every year, as does my hubs. He has Crohn's and has a compromised immune system, as does Bailey, so we all get the shot. I've been lucky and not had the flu for a number of yrs, maybe 3-5.

I work for doctors and they say to be as diligent as you can with washing hands and not touching your face when you are out in public. They say to get checked if you get a fever.

Our Costco stores are selling out of toilet paper and sanitizer as everyone is stockpiling.

clindoeil

Marie-Claire
Here in France, or more specially in my region : we are in full alert with this epidemic of coronavirus. It all really started at a meeting of an evangelical church community in the region. A week of prayer organized by this community, there was apparently a person carrying the virus, and then many people were infected and spread quickly throughout the region.
Here we are now with the schools closed, everyone is asked to limit travel, those who can work from home. Naturally we scrupulously follow all the hygiene instructions, do not touch, kiss, shake hands etc ...
Some have disproportionate behavior and make food stocks, suddenly some stores are out of stock.
All this is a little crazy to live, I hope that it will pass very quickly, and that we will find a normal rhythm of life.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Marie-Claire, I think that is where my state is heading quickly. Our governor declared a state of emergency yesterday so funding can get appropriated more quickly and that the mobilization of aid will be to start quickly when needed. Many of the school districts are closing early for the day so teachers and administrators can prepare for online classes. A lot of colleges are also extending spring break for two weeks.

I hope that everyone is staying healthy and washing those hands ;)