Oscraps

dropped camera in ocean

minideb

Hi Ladies - I am in desperate need of help - I dropped my camera in the ocean - actions so far stopped at store and bought 10 lbs of rice have my camera submersed in it open have the battery in rice and the memory card ....

its a canon point and shoot
how long before it dries out etc all knowledge and suggestions are needed ...ps I live in FL now I moved in August - going home to Ohio on Sunday to get the rest of my things....

Last edited by a moderator:

janedee

Trying leaving it in the rice in the sun to help with evaporation. We had to do this recently with dh's phone which he dropped in the lake. It took about a day to dry out but works perfectly again now. I have heard that you can put it in the warming drawer of an oven too (still in the bag of rice) but didn't need to do that ourselves.

SharLamb

Sharron
Debbie, I hope your camera will be okay. I'm so sorry. I have nothing to offer after the fact, but:

Hint for those of you who use your phone as your camera. If you have a case for it that has two tiny holes in one corner, those holes are meant to thread a lanyard through. Get one (on the internet is the only place I could find one long enough to go around my neck)! I'm always leaning over bridges and water, and was always afraid of dropping my phone until I got this little device. Now I use it when I go to weddings, etc....like a necklace! I know. It looks dorky, but I don't have to carry a purse.

minideb

Thanks for your comments - I'll keep you informed - now its a wait mode - I am so not good at waiting - best info is it needs to sit and dry for 5 days - I'll be in Ohio til next Wednesday so I won't be online but I'll let you know if the rice trick worked - if it did I'll be buying a strap for around my neck!!!!

Tamsin

Best of luck with it Debbie. I've no experience so won't offer any except I know you're not supposed to turn it on to see if it works - especially if it wasn't off when you dropped it. If you already have then try to resist the urge to do it again if you can. ((hugs))

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Cait's brand new cell phone was the victim of a rogue wave down the shore last year. Rice didn't help much since it seemed to affect the touch screen. But the good news is that after she bought another refurbed phone that then died on her, the salty ocean phone started working again. She has a few dead spots on the screen but other than that it works.
Wishing you and your camera good luck!

minideb

Hi Ladies - I will be treating myself to a strap - before I go on my daily walks at the ocean - fyi I am home from Ohio - I moved 424 boxes etc...and its all here - the camera did not make it - I think its because I tried it too many times before the rice as I was walking back on the beach - my suggestion - as in hte wet batteries etc were all still in the camera....for those of you that it happens too.... take those batteries out and don't be tempted to try it!!!!! my new point and shoot is wonderful !!! Thanks for your support and suggestions!!!!!

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Glad you like your new camera. Yes, you are right, I think, that you have to leave the camera alone and let the rice completely soak up all the moisture before turning camera on. I think 5 days or so is recommended.