Oscraps

Do you play board games or other games at your house?

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
My cousin is visiting from out of town and taught my youngest daughter and me how to play "Mexican Train Dominoes"! I am hooked! I lost the game but it was so much fun! :). I bought a set of dominoes and domino holders. I'm going to teach my husband how to play it tonight. What game do you and your family enjoy?

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
For us it's Settlers of Catan. We are hooked. My husband and I play scrabble too - we have the traditional (no digital) game but now we play online in real time with each other - especially when he travels for business.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Too funny- I was going to ask about this the other day since my family found a new game that we love and I wanted to share :)
I am truly lucky to have both adult kids still living at home. Even luckier, both enjoy spending time together as a family, and playing board games is one of our favorites.
The game we just got is called Ravine- it's a cooperative adventure-type game where you try to stay alive after a plane crash. Santa ;) brought it (me being Santa heh) and we have played it twice this month. Cracking up the entire time- unless someone has eaten a bad mushroom and is paralyzed for a round. :p

Some of our other go-tos in no particular order:
  • Pictionary
  • Cranium
  • Super Fight
  • Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Oregon Trail
  • Cards Against Humanity ( the worst cards get screened out by the kids)
  • We also mashed up Cards and Pictionary (bad cards screened out too) and instead of the Pictionary cards, we have to draw the Cards Ag. Humanity. *that* was off the rails!
  • Rise of the Tribes
  • Scattergories
  • Apples to Apples
I know there are more that we have played in the past few years, we have an entire bookshelf filled with games and puzzles.
I can't wait to see what you suggest so I can ass some more to my stash

ETA: On top of that we usually have a puzzle going and ATM, we have a Lego Pirate Ship we are building together.

Sidenote: What am I going to do when they move out??*sobs*

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I love games, we play Triviant, 30 Seconds, Monopoly, Catan, Cluedo.
Before I loved to play checkers, chess, Scrabble, but my husband doesn't like Scrabble, because I always win and he also doesn't like to play checkers or chess with me, because it's not so challenging for him :rolleyes:

LSlycord

I like to play games and Syd does as well. Shaun and Brian, not so much. So I play games with her when she is home...but not the rest of the time. (So I hear you about when they are gone @faerywings.)

My favorite with Syd is probably cribbage...a card game with a board to keep track of points. Monopoly is another one that we can usually get Shaun to join in. We play Yahtzee, Sequence, Mastermind. I miss my girl. :(

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
For us it's Settlers of Catan. We are hooked. My husband and I play scrabble too - we have the traditional (no digital) game but now we play online in real time with each other - especially when he travels for business.
That is so cool that you can still play scrabble which each other when your hubby travels! My husband and I also love scrabble. I will have to look up Settlers of Catan. It sounds very interesting!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Too funny- I was going to ask about this the other day since my family found a new game that we love and I wanted to share :)
I am truly lucky to have both adult kids still living at home. Even luckier, both enjoy spending time together as a family, and playing board games is one of our favorites.
The game we just got is called Ravine- it's a cooperative adventure-type game where you try to stay alive after a plane crash. Santa ;) brought it (me being Santa heh) and we have played it twice this month. Cracking up the entire time- unless someone has eaten a bad mushroom and is paralyzed for a round. :p

Some of our other go-tos in no particular order:
  • Pictionary
  • Cranium
  • Super Fight
  • Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Oregon Trail
  • Cards Against Humanity ( the worst cards get screened out by the kids)
  • We also mashed up Cards and Pictionary (bad cards screened out too) and instead of the Pictionary cards, we have to draw the Cards Ag. Humanity. *that* was off the rails!
  • Rise of the Tribes
  • Scattergories
  • Apples to Apples
I know there are more that we have played in the past few years, we have an entire bookshelf filled with games and puzzles.
I can't wait to see what you suggest so I can ass some more to my stash

ETA: On top of that we usually have a puzzle going and ATM, we have a Lego Pirate Ship we are building together.

Sidenote: What am I going to do when they move out??*sobs*
That is quite an impressive list of games! I will have to add some of those to our collection. Our kids are moved out but our youngest daughter used to bring a friend for game night. You could institute that when your kids move out.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I love games, we play Triviant, 30 Seconds, Monopoly, Catan, Cluedo.
Before I loved to play checkers, chess, Scrabble, but my husband doesn't like Scrabble, because I always win and he also doesn't like to play checkers or chess with me, because it's not so challenging for him :rolleyes:
Ha!Ha! Your husband sounds like mine! My husband is so competitive!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I like to play games and Syd does as well. Shaun and Brian, not so much. So I play games with her when she is home...but not the rest of the time. (So I hear you about when they are gone @faerywings.)

My favorite with Syd is probably cribbage...a card game with a board to keep track of points. Monopoly is another one that we can usually get Shaun to join in. We play Yahtzee, Sequence, Mastermind. I miss my girl. :(

Aw, Linda! I know how hard it is when kids move out! We are empty nesters. Maybe you can plan a game night once every couple of weeks for Syd to come to.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
That is quite an impressive list of games! I will have to add some of those to our collection. Our kids are moved out but our youngest daughter used to bring a friend for game night. You could institute that when your kids move out.
Both of my "kids" want to move out within the next 12-15 months. (sobs some more) but I told them last week that there will be a mandatory game night once a month with the four of us and/or with their significant others. They are totally up for it and Caitlyn even asked if we could rotate among the houses ♥

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Both of my "kids" want to move out within the next 12-15 months. (sobs some more) but I told them last week that there will be a mandatory game night once a month with the four of us and/or with their significant others. They are totally up for it and Caitlyn even asked if we could rotate among the houses ♥
That sounds wonderful!

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Our family always played games with the kids and once they were grown.

Hubby and I played Acey-Ducey (Navy name for Backgammon), cribbage - card game with counting board. We also played bridge with others. I enjoyed Mahjong (but no betting - just for fun).

The kids and I played Yahtzee, Trivia Pursuit, and several of 'kiddie' board games.
Scrabble, checkers, chess, and dominos were also favorites.
I taught the kids how to play Double Pinochle and usually have 2-3 tables of Double Pinochle going when the family gets together.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Our family always played games with the kids and once they were grown.

Hubby and I played Acey-Ducey (Navy name for Backgammon), cribbage - card game with counting board. We also played bridge with others. I enjoyed Mahjong (but no betting - just for fun).

The kids and I played Yahtzee, Trivia Pursuit, and several of 'kiddie' board games.
Scrabble, checkers, chess, and dominos were also favorites.
I taught the kids how to play Double Pinochle and usually have 2-3 tables of Double Pinochle going when the family gets together.
That is an awesome assortment of games! I always wondered about backgammon and cribbage. Are they hard to learn? I think my Aunt and Uncle used to play Pinochle but my parents mostly played Canasta. I always loved Canasta. It the games would get pretty heated!