Oscraps

do you have

Kiliki

a e-reader? like the kindle or something else?

what do you have? what do you like about it? do you wish you had something else?

petey111

I have an iPad and I adore it. I can use any books I want....Kindle, Nook, Kobo, iBooks, pdf. :) And I can do so much more with it!

But I understand that's a lot more expensive than what others have.

I think the new Nook is a great option. I liked the features of my Mother-in-Law's. And with Nook, you can loan books out to others. With Kindle, you only loan them once. EVER. With Kindle you get charged for extra stuff that you download/store on it. And Kindle's books are more "Proprietary" than the others.

But Kindle does have a huge library available.

Does that give you some ideas?

(As a librarian, there's a lot of discussion about eReaders these days...:) )

Kiliki

ohh i have a kindle myself :) and i love it...i was just wondering what others had and why they liked them...

the big thing about the kindle that i love is you can read in FULL sunlight...and tahts a big plus for me cause i love to go outside on a nice day and sit and read....

LSlycord

Love the iPad. Sara....as the geek librarian type:)...maybe you can help with the dilemma that I'm facing. Just found out that our public library is loaning e-books through WILBOR. But there doesn't seem to be an iPad app...there is one for iTouch but not iPad...how lame... Anyway, any ideas would sure help my bank account. (I'm completely addicted to the ability to finish a book and immediately download another. I'm sure that I need some type of intervention!)

hondachicc

I am in the dino world....I have no e-reader....no i-pod...no fancy cell phone.....my laptop is as TECHIE as it gets for me!!!

Peppermint

I have a Sony eReader (a PRS-505, to be exact, it's the old model). I adore it, I read a lot more books in general because of the eReader. Probably because I carry it around more often?

I'm the anti-packrat, so I like that I don't keep adding stacks of books to the bookshelves. I know some people like the feel of an actual, physical book though, so an eReader would probably not be the right route for them.

Traci

I use my Android with the Kindle app and I so so so love having it there in my pocket and not lugging a book around :)

yvonnahenna

I would love to have an e-reader.
But I don't have one lol
When our library starts having e-books I definately buy one. Maybe around my b-daytime. Than I have a nice gift :)

petey111

Love the iPad. Sara....as the geek librarian type:)...maybe you can help with the dilemma that I'm facing. Just found out that our public library is loaning e-books through WILBOR. But there doesn't seem to be an iPad app...there is one for iTouch but not iPad...how lame... Anyway, any ideas would sure help my bank account. (I'm completely addicted to the ability to finish a book and immediately download another. I'm sure that I need some type of intervention!)

Honestly Linda - Any app that runs on the iPod Touch (pet peeve when it's called the iTouch hee hee!), should run on the iPad. It just runs at a smaller screen size usually. But I can ask around. Most libraries are using Overdrive to loan ebooks and audibooks, but I'm sure it's probably sort of the "corner" in the market and that's why most libraries go with it.

Actually, I don't even see a WILBOR app in the iTunes store.

Ok....I went to the WILBOR page, it does run on Overdrive. They just gave their consortium of downloads through Overdrive a fun name. So that's what you want to download for your iPad. :)

/librarian service!! :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I have been flipping back and forth about e-readers. Not that they are in my budget one way or the other, but its always nice to think about, right?
I was in my library the other day and they have 2 Sony e-readers available to check out. You can't download new books, but I took it home yesterday to see if was worth looking into.

Maybe I need to give it more time, but I am not digging it. The screen is small and I read pretty quickly so I felt very disconnected as I was waiting for the next page to load. Its was only a fraction of a second, but the mini-interruption bothered me.

I also don't buy books, so I def. wouldn't want to spend money on buying them. My ,library uses Overdrive as well, but it doesn't look like all readers are supported.

I guess i am just going to have to wait until I am rich and famous and can afford an ipad LOL

Last edited:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Sara- I had the librarian laughing yesterday. I had walked in, past the front desk and into the main room to ask about the e-reader. When I went to check out, the librarian had my books that were on hold all ready for me. I didn't know that she even saw me/recognized me. I guess this means that i spend way too much time in the library- but its a good thing!

LSlycord

Thanks Sara!! Since I was off work yesterday, I spent more than 3 minutes on something and found it. Now my only complaint is finding books that aren't checked out. Ugh...

petey111

Sara- I had the librarian laughing yesterday. I had walked in, past the front desk and into the main room to ask about the e-reader. When I went to check out, the librarian had my books that were on hold all ready for me. I didn't know that she even saw me/recognized me. I guess this means that i spend way too much time in the library- but its a good thing!

What a good librarian! :)

petey111

Thanks Sara!! Since I was off work yesterday, I spent more than 3 minutes on something and found it. Now my only complaint is finding books that aren't checked out. Ugh...

Oh I know it! Even with Omaha Public, they don't have a good enough selection yet! One of the staff said he spent a huge chunk of time purchasing eBooks for the library on Christmas Eve in anticipation of Christmas Day. They said they were glad they did that, but I think they need a bigger selection and more copies. :) (Cause ya know...they have an unlimited budget right??) LOL

LSlycord

Oh I know it! Even with Omaha Public, they don't have a good enough selection yet! One of the staff said he spent a huge chunk of time purchasing eBooks for the library on Christmas Eve in anticipation of Christmas Day. They said they were glad they did that, but I think they need a bigger selection and more copies. :) (Cause ya know...they have an unlimited budget right??) LOL

Exactly right...an unlimited budget because who would ever cut things like reading?:pout:

And I'm telling you...I'm really scary with the reading with the iPad...too easy to buy the next book. And I'm such an addict when I start reading...read an easy, short Debbie Macomber book yesterday. Blamed it on the fact that I was sick and shouldn't do anything but rest.:rofl:

Thinking I may buy another book today! :evil2: