Oscraps

Do you do squats?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
My granddaughter got me into doing squats a few months ago. They've really helped my leg strength, as well as my tummy. I only do 10, but do them slow and conrolled. I found a picture of how I do mine. Anybody else added these to their workouts?

pexels-ketut-subiyanto-5038841-(1).jpg

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
I am unable to now because of my ankle situation that started back in 2001, but I did a TON in high school for volleyball and basketball and they were awesome for the legs! :monkebootie: My coach would also have us stand up against a wall and squat with our backs straight and stay that way for a few minutes.

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I can do them relatively easily, but they are not a part of my routine (I guess they should be)... what I DO do though is an Asian squat - just squat all the way down with my heels on the floor and sit there life a sloth... I do it in the bathroom while waiting for the water to run hot, or while playing with the dog, or sorting the shoes... this way I manage to get a few min in this position every day... apparently it's great for hip and ankle mobility... it is also rather comfortable...

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I am unable to now because of my ankle situation that started back in 2001, but I did a TON in high school for volleyball and basketball and they were awesome for the legs! :monkebootie: My coach would also have us stand up against a wall and squat with our backs straight and stay that way for a few minutes.
I do a similar thing with my back against and wall and then do toe raises. My granddaughter also showed me those. They're a remarkable stretch and feel so good.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I can do them relatively easily, but they are not a part of my routine (I guess they should be)... what I DO do though is an Asian squat - just squat all the way down with my heels on the floor and sit there life a sloth... I do it in the bathroom while waiting for the water to run hot, or while playing with the dog, or sorting the shoes... this way I manage to get a few min in this position every day... apparently it's great for hip and ankle mobility... it is also rather comfortable...
That sounds like a great thing to do, Olga! I think I'll try them. Before I started doing squats regularly, I couldn't get down very far and I'll bet the Asian squats would even help me get down further. I do what you do - when I'm just waiting, I do something. When I stand at the sink, I do side leg raises. Every little bit helps.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Can I tell you a secret? I used to be pretty serious with weightlifting back in the late 80s. My boyfriend at the time was a powerlifter and he got me started and then I was hooked. Free weights and machines. But I used to do squats with weights. Now I would likely tip over. LOL
One of the yoga routines I do has something similar to the Asian squats that Olga does. The yoga instructor calls them Yogi Squats.
They give a nice good stretch in the hamstrings

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Can I tell you a secret? I used to be pretty serious with weightlifting back in the late 80s. My boyfriend at the time was a powerlifter and he got me started and then I was hooked. Free weights and machines. But I used to do squats with weights. Now I would likely tip over. LOL
One of the yoga routines I do has something similar to the Asian squats that Olga does. The yoga instructor calls them Yogi Squats.
They give a nice good stretch in the hamstrings
That's awesome, Chris - I used to be into heavy workouts, too. I tried the Asian squats this morning and I'm definitely going to be adding them to my workout. I needed some towels that were on the bottom shelf and instead of bending down, I did those squats with my heels flat on the floot like Olga @Jam-on-toast mentioned yesterday. They were so much easier than trying to bend down to that low level. I felt balanced too with my heels on the floor.

The girls are into the heavy lifting and go to the gym at least six days a week. They have both completely transformed their bodies. We have before and after pics - Alyssa has lost about 60 pounds too. She doesn't even look like the same person.

That's so cool that you were into heavy weight training because so was I.