Oscraps

Do We Want to Continue?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Hello, ladies! I must first apologize for dropping off the face of the earth. Life has kicked me to the curb for a bit but I THINK I'm back.

My question for you is: Do we want to continue with this forum? I love the idea of a forum for genealogy/family history, but I think it need an overhaul if we are carrying on. What do you think> It really started out as unstructured and the momentum was good, but it's not so active now and I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Once upon a time I did some Scrapbook Genealogy "lessons" that covered started at a beginning level and worked up with basic research and sourcing principles. Is anyone interested in that? Scrapbooking REALLY IS the ideal way to document your work and make your "begats" interesting for others.

Just let me know what you think and how we need to do this all for the future.

Happy holidays!

I just found you Susan and have spent the last hour perusing the messages. I'm kind of new to Oscraps, but definitely not new to genealogy. I really didn't see any challenges to scrap genealogy page which would be good for me to get me moving on scrapping the many photos & stories I have accumulated through the years. (I have a room that is about ½ full of genealogy records & photos I have inherited from my side of our famiy as well as from my husband's side.) I would love to see more activity in here, I'll be watching!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Oh, yay! You sound like me, Ann. Plus about 4TB of documents on an EHD! We can all put our heads together and work out what we want a bit later. Good to "meet" you and glad you found this forum!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Oh, yay! You sound like me, Ann. Plus about 4TB of documents on an EHD! We can all put our heads together and work out what we want a bit later. Good to "meet" you and glad you found this forum!
Susan, with all the Christmas activity at the moment, it wouldn't hurt to post something in the general chat area of the forum as well. :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I'm new here, but I'm interested. I have scanned photos from an album of my father's, from the 1920s. I am a beginner in digital scrapbooking and I would like to put together a photo album for my daughter later.
Welcome again Moira to Oscraps! : wow, how fantastic to have photos from the 1920s! I am envious! No doubt Susan @Susan - s3js will be able to help you as you progress along with your album. :)

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I have scrapped my entire maternal side from 1776. Working on my hubby's side now but only back 2 generations and then it is spotty at best. I just never think to add the LO's to this thread.:shakingsense:
I am envious! I still have MUCH scrapping to do, but I am also back to 1776, and in some cases back to 1621 in the Colonies. You had Revolutionary ancestors? I had them on both sides, some were brothers. If you are back that far, you probably have many of them! And no, I am not the least ashamed of them, regardless of what side they were on. History tells us how things were at that time and we cannot apply 21st century mores to what happened then. The world, people, and the way things were done were simply different!

Kythe

CHEERY O
I agree.
My family were United Empire Loyalists. We are from England originally. I think there is only one arm of my family that did not move to Canada and stayed in the NY area.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I agree.
My family were United Empire Loyalists. We are from England originally. I think there is only one arm of my family that did not move to Canada and stayed in the NY area.
That's really cool! I haven't found all my Loyalists yet, but I know they are there. Are their stories posted in the Gallery? I would love to know about them.

Kythe

CHEERY O
That's really cool! I haven't found all my Loyalists yet, but I know they are there. Are their stories posted in the Gallery? I would love to know about them.
Nope. All I know is the names and what branch of the family they were from. The one that stayed in the US was a butcher and had about 8 children I believe. One of the ancestors had 17 children all of whom came to Canada from England.

Robloz55

Yes I would like to continue seeing a genealogy forum.

I may not always be in the mood to scrap genealogy, but i love doing genealogy and I really love making vintage and heritage layouts.

GraceJ

I'm "new" at the forum, but it would be interesting to scrap genealogy stuff. Merry Christmas my dear :xmas8:

LSlycord

Please let's continue Susan. I too have been overwhelmed by life...but I'm ready to get going again.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I would love to find different ways to search for genealogy records for my family. Are there any free websites? I am not able to get Ancestry.com at this time.

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
It is awesome how many of you have old records of your family, or at least know your heritage.....it looks like this will continue! Susan, you could create different sections of the forum for various needs...general info on how to search for family, Q&A, layouts, etc. :beatingheart:

I really love the layouts where people include the photos that they have from years past....they are my favorites, really. Living in this home that was built in 1911, I often wonder about who all has lived here. I was told that the upstairs apartment was rented out A LOT, and the house has changed from what it was...where my daughters' bedrooms are, there used to be smaller apartments, without kitchens. I have no photo proof, just what people tell me, but it is fascinating :heartpumpred:

Cheryl M

Hello, ladies! I must first apologize for dropping off the face of the earth. Life has kicked me to the curb for a bit but I THINK I'm back.

My question for you is: Do we want to continue with this forum? I love the idea of a forum for genealogy/family history, but I think it need an overhaul if we are carrying on. What do you think> It really started out as unstructured and the momentum was good, but it's not so active now and I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Once upon a time I did some Scrapbook Genealogy "lessons" that covered started at a beginning level and worked up with basic research and sourcing principles. Is anyone interested in that? Scrapbooking REALLY IS the ideal way to document your work and make your "begats" interesting for others.

Just let me know what you think and how we need to do this all for the future.

Happy holidays!
I have to confess, life had kicked me to the curb and I was caught there for a couple years. BUT I truly miss my scrapbooking.
I would be very interested in Genealogy lessons. I've started my side of the family and had help from my Uncle but sadly, he has passed away and I sort of lost interest. But it IS something I'd be interested in. I had worked on my husband's side, was doing okay and then his family just disappeared!

crlin

Just now found this and would love to see it continue! I need a push to do some pages of my genealogy and don't know where to start.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Susan has been sick with Covid and currently taking some sick leave but will be back when she is feeling better. I am sure she will be happy to continue seeing all the interest do date! :)