Oscraps

Do Art Journal Pages Have A Purpose?

Amandajk

Yes. I often explain the difference `between scrap and AJ as Scrap has the purpose of documenting (usually) life events be they everyday or significant. AJ is more about feelings and expressing them, without rules. Though there is a "style" in AJ, it IS more freeform at its core, there aren't any limitations.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
They have a purpose for me. It's a way of working through problems, sometimes. Other times, it's just a way to let my creativity flow. I love to just "play" sometimes. I've worked through some hard times with my Art Journaling pages. They can be great fun, too and a chance to use my whacky sense of humor.

Veronika

I've only recently started making real AJ pages
For me it's pure relaxation and it's fun to be creative with the materials, colors, possibilities and your own imagination.
I don't have a goal in mind, but let myself be inspired by the moment - time doesn't matter either - I work on it sometimes more, sometimes less and can let it be.
I love it!
pure scrapbooking is more topic-related and more targeted for me

DesignsByCRK

Designer
I think that every sort of page has a purpose - whether it be purely for a creative outlet or for memory keeping, each is just as important to the creator, as the other.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Like all scrapbooking styles, art journal scrapping IMO is very fluid, the purpose can change as the scrapper wishes. It might be for creative purposes, just having fun or it might have more meaning, a way to express thoughts/emotions/reactions to life and for some, like me, I sometimes combine an art journal freeform kind of design with my photos so I am expressing thoughts/emotion/reactions but including photos that help tell the meaning behind the page design, if that makes sense LOL. That sounds a bit of a ramble to me but hopefully you get it :)

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I totally agree with you @Vicki Robinson Art Journaling is a wonderful creative outlet and there are no rules, so you can just let your feelings flow throughout your page/pages!! It so rewarding!!

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I'm still at the very beginning of my art journaling journey. It gives me freedom to do what I want with whatever tools I want, and to just get MESSY!!! I have a hard time visualizing how to express my emotions, but I'm trusting that will come in time.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Art journaling for me is also a wonderful outlet for the creative side of me, some projects are off the cuff, 'let's see what happens' while other projects are pre-planned, as getting the idea in my head and then having to get that idea out of my head and onto my art journal page. Sometimes things come together quickly, other times projects take weeks as I figure out what I need to do next............ but I love it all and find so much peace and happiness in my craft room. So yes, AJ certainly does have a purpose for me, as do all of the digital layouts I create as well.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I have my difficulties with art journaling and I have a lot of resistance. I don't know why, but I guess I just don't like that style. Many of you will be outraged now, but that's my honest opinion.
hahhaaa! Gina, of course we are not outraged!! lol! everyone has their own likes and dislikes, that is what makes us all so very different and unique! xxx

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
For me, it's about two things. One, I love the creative freedom that comes with art journaling. Two, the creation process makes me happy.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I have my difficulties with art journaling and I have a lot of resistance. I don't know why, but I guess I just don't like that style. Many of you will be outraged now, but that's my honest opinion.

The different styles are what makes the world go 'round! I have to say though, that I agreed with you just one short year ago, but something changed inside of me and I had a need to express myself with art - and get messy!