Oscraps

Discussion about using different programs to scrap with, tagging stuff etc.

Kythe

CHEERY O
That is kinda funny. I am exactly the opposite. I started out mixing kits regularly then I got a CT position and had to adjust to using only one kit. I found it frustrating when I really wanted to add an element that wasn't provided in the kit. Now I have to revert back to multiple kits. That is not hard but I don't have the same program to find various elements from various kits which takes me so much longer to create a page.
I was interested in the program Karen Shultz recommends but my hubby thinks other than the tagging of elements it would be just another photo program taking up space. Too bad there wasn't a program that just lets you tag things you have in your computer already and not take up space in PSE like my old program did.

Last edited by a moderator:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I used to tag everything when I was using PSE years ago but then when subsequent versions came out and that area changed significantly I was faced with the task of tagging everything again and I was like......... NO!!! :)

I started using my File Explorer and have been doing so for the last 4-5 years......... I have a main folder for the store, then the designer folders are underneath. All 'new' stuff is unzipped to a new file under the store folder, called NEW. Once it is used I move it to the relevant designer's folder. So I just work with those folders and drag stuff to over to either PSE or Photoshop.

For the Mini O, I make a folder under the New Files folder and then unzip everything to that, when I have used them to make a page I then put the individual products into their own folders "Name of Kit, Papers etc Mini O-Jan19" and then place it into the relevant designer's folder.

So in a nutshell I don't have to tag anything and it really doesn't take me long to find the things that I want to make a page with.

(In File Explore I have the folder structure set up so when I click on the folder in the Folder Pane (on the left hand side) I can view the contents on the right hand pane and so I just drag from there onto my layout.) Here is a visual to show what I mean. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Using File Explorer for Scrapbooking.jpg
    Using File Explorer for Scrapbooking.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 57

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I can't see why it shouldn't Trudy? do you have a File Explorer type area? I haven't had a lot to do with Mac so not sure what the operating system looks like, but you should be able to just drag stuff over from your file location to your layout I would think.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
That is how i find my stuff too. Never tried to drag it into pse directly, but going to try that.
I use right click on the element and choose the option open with photoshop elements.

Kythe

CHEERY O
I pretty much do the same as you Ona. Except for every designer I have a preview file placed at the top of the kit folder where I place all the previews for that designer. When I need something, I just head to the designer previews to look at the kit. (labelled with kit name and date) This helps me know which kits I have in my stash as well as a quick look to find a suitable kit.

It is a bit slower than having a program that has all the blue butterflies I have in my stash from every source come up when I search for them.

The only thing I put in PSE is things like brushes, templates, masks, stamps. Pretty much working tools only Never any kits or photos. Too much in there slows down the program. I am pretty close to using all of the space I have,

Last edited by a moderator:

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
The only thing I put in PSE is things like brushes, templates, masks, stamps. Pretty much working tools only Never any kits or photos. Too much in there slows down the program. I am pretty close to using all of the space I have,

Karen, I do the same - only working tools are stored in PSE. Yep, I am needing to remove a bunch of kits/collections as I am getting close to the limits again. I do have them on an EHD and also copy them onto DVDs as another back-up.

I don't put the files under stores as I have several designers who sell at multiple stores. I put them under files by Designer's name first - then kit name.

I can do a search by element name [not by color of elements] but many designers have gone to just numbering them with no description name... element1, element2, etc.... so many won't show up when I do a search. But, I have way too many kits to try to tag them or put them in the PSE organizer.

I very seldom 'drag' anything from a file... I like to have everything loaded in the photo bin so I can do a quick scan of it and load from it to the page.

zanthia

CHEERY O
I used to tag everything when I was using PSE years ago but then when subsequent versions came out and that area changed significantly I was faced with the task of tagging everything again and I was like......... NO!!! :)

I started using my File Explorer and have been doing so for the last 4-5 years......... I have a main folder for the store, then the designer folders are underneath. All 'new' stuff is unzipped to a new file under the store folder, called NEW. Once it is used I move it to the relevant designer's folder. So I just work with those folders and drag stuff to over to either PSE or Photoshop.

For the Mini O, I make a folder under the New Files folder and then unzip everything to that, when I have used them to make a page I then put the individual products into their own folders "Name of Kit, Papers etc Mini O-Jan19" and then place it into the relevant designer's folder.

So in a nutshell I don't have to tag anything and it really doesn't take me long to find the things that I want to make a page with.

(In File Explore I have the folder structure set up so when I click on the folder in the Folder Pane (on the left hand side) I can view the contents on the right hand pane and so I just drag from there onto my layout.) Here is a visual to show what I mean. :)

attachment.php

how do you drag from explorer onto layout - wonder if that would help the lack of photo bin in photoshop - scrapping is horrible without it. someone told me they use 2 monitors to do that but i have only one.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Stacey, I use Windows 7 on a PC. The File Explorer icon is located on the lower left hand corner of the bottom toolbar. After I open Photoshop and start creating a layout I click on the File Explorer icon to open it up. You may need to resize this so you can see the layout screen behind it. Find the element/paper or whatever you want in the File Explorer and then just click and drag onto your layout.

In the File Explorer, you need to make sure there are two things set:
1. The Preview Pane
2. Viewing an Icon rather than just the file name (text)

To turn the Preview Pane on and off:

attachment.php

2. To change how you view the contents of your folder

attachment.php

Hope that helps, just holler if you want any more info! :)

Attachments

• Preview-Pane-for-File-Explorer.jpg
    Preview-Pane-for-File-Explorer.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 40
  • File-Explorer-Viewing-Folder-Contents.jpg
    File-Explorer-Viewing-Folder-Contents.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 40

zanthia

CHEERY O
ona - is that windows file explorer - if so doesnt look anything like mine - dont have any menu bar

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Ona, I am running Windows 10 - like Stacey... My file explorer doesn't have the 3rd pane to show the element when selected. It will open a photo viewer instead.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
ahhhhhh! Well that is a bummer! Reminds me of why I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet and steadfastly holding out! LOL! But you would still be able to drag from the area I noted? you can't drag from that pane in Win7, it just helps to be able to see the item in more detail.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I think this thread might be good to move out in to general chat. Our members would probably be interested in ways to organize or might have other suggestions too. I don't think I saw anything in there that was strictly cheery o. What do you all think?

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Well, to be honest, I hadn't even bothered to go to Windows 10 to even look at it! and I just did and I was quite surprised that it looks exactly like the set up for when the Microsoft Office Suite 2000 came out! lol! In another lifetime I was an IT trainer and this is the last package I taught before I retired in 2016 as our company had upgraded to it.

So from experience I remembered that while each version of Windows is slightly different, some of the same options are still there but just in a different area. I went to youtube and found a couple of tutorials and took a couple of screen shots.

You can turn that preview pane over on the far right on or off if you want to, the screen shot below shows where you need to go to. And as shown below as well, the Ribbon (the whole area along the top of the screen) can be toggled on and off by using the the little 'carrot' (triangular shape) over towards the top of the Ribbon, next to the small blue ? symbol. I remember that the Ribbon was the biggest complaint I received from our employees as they felt it just took up too much room on the screen. Anyway, as I said, it can be turned on and off.

attachment.php

But remember, you don't need to have that third viewing pane open as you would drag your element or paper from the main preview area (the one in the middle).

And you can also customise your File Explorer further by using the Folder Options button under the File tab on the Ribbon as shown below.... this allows you to show or hide various folders over on the left hand side of the screen.
attachment.php

Now that I have had a better look at it I may just upgrade to Windows 10 as I have just been reading about it being more stable that Windows 7 as well.

Anyways, hope that helps Stacey! :)

Attachments

• FOLDER-OPTIONS-WEB.jpg
    FOLDER-OPTIONS-WEB.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 24

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
LOL! Seems we were posting at the same time Vicki! Yes, that would be a good idea, I will move it out there now. :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Hi everyone! The Cheery O's had started this conversation behind the scenes and Vicki thought it might be a good idea to bring it out 'front' so that other people could join in and gain some info from it.

Please join us if you have any comments or thoughts. :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I tried this methode! It brings everything in as a Smart Object is that right?

No Marianne, it won't bring it in as a Smart Object for PS unless you have that selected in the Preferences under General. PSE does not have Smart Objects so it's not a problem there either. :)

clindoeil

Marie-Claire
i am happy to read this post !
i see i use the exactly same method as you Ona ! :p and this work perfect for me.
I i also stay by windows 7.. i hear only negative about windows10, so i keep my old one, as long as possible !