Oscraps

Digital Art Journaling Kits

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Art journaling pages tend to have (but do not need to have) a bit of a more "textured" feel to them and often contain rather eclectic or unexpected elements — or common elements used in an unusual way — because the creator is expressing herself (or himself) artfully and stretching the bounds of their imagination. Unlike scrapbooking pages where the point is to capture an event or specific memory or story, art journaling pages are artistic expressions — without having to be clear about the page's meaning or intent. Does that make sense?

So any digital scrapbooking kit can be used for art journaling. Don't feel you need to have specific products or kits from specific designers to dip your toes into digital art journaling. If a kit contains papers and elements that speak to you USE it! You can always add brushes or other kinds of elements to your page if you feel it necessary to do so. The Oscraps Bushes & Stamps category is a great resource for adding texture and interest to your page, as are the Paint, Ephemera, Stitching and Mixed Elements categories.

Some designers (myself included) tend to create kits around more personal — or emotional — themes and that can make it easier to get started on an art journaling page and/or they create kits that tend to include lots of paint, mixed media elements, ephemera, quirky characters, vintage photos or dolls and/or prompts particularly suited to art journaling topics.

Have a look through our shop a pick out a kit that speaks to you and then let your inner creative loose!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Vicki, love your explanation of what art journaling is all about and love how all types of digital products can be used to express our feelings through art. I love the freedom of art journaling and not having to "explain" what my page is about, anyone that sees it can interpret it as they will, just like we can all view the same piece of art hanging on the wall and all have different views on what it is 'saying' to us. There is no right or wrong way to do it, go with what YOU are feeling and have fun. :)

sabinaraye

Wonderful, simple and very informative explanation of doing Art Journaling! I'm drawn to the process, probably because of what you explained, but never had the words for it before. It doesn't have to make sense or serve a specific purpose... Well, then, this is the art medium for me. Thank you for opening the door for an artistic expression that searches the soul and satisfies our child's (and adult's) need to come out and play.

mom2triplets04

I am one of those who feel what when I create the page must mean something, though I love AJ layouts that are just pretty with no obvious 'meaning' but being art. Creating more for the sake of creating is one of my loosly defines missions for 2022.
I typically have a goal in mind when completing a page in my art journal. I normally yes put quotes or write something. Lately I have been writing poems and including them in my journal. It's a lot of fun to use my brain and write poems.

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
for me an art journaling page is a page with lots of elements, no pictures and possibly lots of journaling too. It’s more about creating a meaningful page !

Oldenmeade

Thanks for the great explanation, Vicki. I love the look of art journaling. The idea of actual journaling scares the wits out of me. But something with a single word or a phrase - I could definitely do that. :D

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Wonderful explanation Vicki!! I love Art Journal pages and and I really love to journal on most of layouts! I find the process of telling a story very healing!! I usually find it easier to journal than to trying to explain in real words if that makes any sense LOL.

LSlycord

I am in a bit of a "funk" right now with my life. Transitioning from one chapter to another...and the transition isn't going as I might have wanted! :rolleyes: Making an art journal page today really helped clarify some of my thoughts and helped me realize what is going on.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I am in a bit of a "funk" right now with my life. Transitioning from one chapter to another...and the transition isn't going as I might have wanted! :rolleyes: Making an art journal page today really helped clarify some of my thoughts and helped me realize what is going on.

And THAT is one of then beautiful parts of art journaling!!!!!