Oscraps

Did you have favorite childhood books?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
For my little girls it was Good Night Moon, The hungry Caterpillar and of course anything Dr. Seuss. When they got older one DD enjoyed the Nancy Drew(as I did) and theLittle House series. She was an avid reader and was reading The Harry Potter and related series. She got deep into anime (Sailor Moon) She reads everything she gets her hands on-Jane Eyre, War and Peace, Any sci fi series.
Oh my goodness, Sharon, mine too - these books still mean so much go me - especially "Good Night Moon" - I used to read this to my grandson. It's so close to my heart. I so remember The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar too - it was a Caldecott Book. That was a huge thing "back in the day".

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
My favorite two things as a child were reading books and drawing. I often drew from the books I read. I loved the books by Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and many others but these are the main ones I can remember. I also loved comic books, the action comics, Superman being my fave, then Batman, the Flash, etc. I also loved Archie, and Walt Disney comics. I spent as much time in our school library as I possibly could. I read all the biographies they had, twice; I think I remember they had orange covers. Books and drawing were my escape from reality. My home life wasn't the best as my father was an alcoholic and there was always drama, drama, and more drama. :rolleyes:
This is so awesome because I was watching a news show today and they were actually talking about the best children's books - I couldn't believe it - I got such a kick out of it because we're actually talking about it on here. I love it! I'm sorry you had a home life like you had - but you came through the drama - I had "drama" in my childhood too - I think it makes us stronger, don't you??? I truly believe we all had "drama" of some kind especially growing up in previous lifetimes, if you know what I mean. HUGS to you.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Can I just say that I've enjoyed SO much reading about all of your childhood memories - book wise????? I was such an avid reader all of my life and I love reading about all of your reading loves. Thanks for sharing your memories.

janedee

i was a total bookworm as a kid. I loved Enid Blyton books - The Faraway Tree series, Famous Five, Mr. Galliano’s Circus and a whole bunch of other Series she wrote. Other faves were The Railway Children, What Katy Did, Anne of Green Gables, The Borrowers, Nancy Drew and The Bobbsey Twins. My girls loved the Robert Munich books.

Veronika

I loved reading as a child, some of my favorite books are/were Winnie the Pooh and Pippi Longstocking, and anything by the author Enid Blyton - especially St Clare's and five....

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
i was a total bookworm as a kid. I loved Enid Blyton books - The Faraway Tree series, Famous Five, Mr. Galliano’s Circus and a whole bunch of other Series she wrote. Other faves were The Railway Children, What Katy Did, Anne of Green Gables, The Borrowers, Nancy Drew and The Bobbsey Twins. My girls loved the Robert Munich books.
Good list, Jane! I totally forgot about the Bobbsey Twins. I loved those books, too!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I loved reading as a child, some of my favorite books are/were Winnie the Pooh and Pippi Longstocking, and anything by the author Enid Blyton - especially St Clare's and five....
I see you said "are/were because I was going to say that Winnie The Pooh is still one of my favorites. I liked Pippi, too.

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
Yes that's it. I'm very much for progress, but we also lose a lot. My grandchildren have never seen a library and many things at school are taught without books.
I'm very thankful for progress too; without internet, I wouldn't have met you, Sylvia, and other wonderful friends here. But, my granddaughters have never read a complete book, or been inside a library, and that makes me so very sad.

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
This is so awesome because I was watching a news show today and they were actually talking about the best children's books - I couldn't believe it - I got such a kick out of it because we're actually talking about it on here. I love it! I'm sorry you had a home life like you had - but you came through the drama - I had "drama" in my childhood too - I think it makes us stronger, don't you??? I truly believe we all had "drama" of some kind especially growing up in previous lifetimes, if you know what I mean. HUGS to you.
Wow! Your thread is very timely! Yes, eventually I came through drama, and am stronger for it, although a couple of my siblings didn't (they have passed), and a couple of them are still struggling. I was the oldest child, and things got progressively worse through the years and sadly my younger siblings went through the worst of it. My parents had to drop out of school, third and fourth grades, during the depression to help on the farm. My mother could read, but my father could not. So, they weren't a big encouragement in that area. I will forever be grateful for the teachers I had as a child who encouraged me to read.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
This thread is bringing back so many good memories!

My dad used to work for Silver Burdett, now part of Simon and Schuster, in the educational text division. He used to bring home samples of books and series and I loved reading them. A lot from Time Life. We had series about The Wild West, WWII, plus science books on the oceans, dinosaurs, planets, and so on. All very cutting edge in the 70s LOL

I adored the Little House books and dressed up as Laura Ingalls for Halloween one year. I also wanted to make their Maple Syrup candies in the snow. Do any of you remember that? They heated the maple sugar and then poured it into shapes over snow. Pro Tip from an 8-year-old me: Pancake syrup does *not* work the same as maple syrup hahaha!

My kids loved books too- their favorites were The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and the Kissing Hand. We also read the Harry Potter Books together- I read 1-3 out loud when they were too young to read them on their own. It was also one of the few movies (Sorcerer's Stone) I let them watch before they read the book. I was one of those mean moms who told them that the books are almost always better than movies.

LSlycord

How I loved to read! I would read everywhere. I would even read as I walked to school. Fortunately it was a small town without much traffic so I didn't get run over. LOL

The first ones were the Bobbsey twin books. We had so many of those at the library. And I had some of my own. I probably started reading those in 3rd grade. They were really old even when I was reading them in the '60's. But I loved them...Nan and Bert and Flossie and Freddie. They were a kind of "Leave it to Beaver" to me. Then I started the Little House on the Prairie books after our 4th grade teacher read "Farmer Boy" to us each day after lunch. I read Nancy Drew and Black Beauty and all of the horse books. And Pippi Longstocking and Karen Killilea (sp?) when I decided that one day I would have a newfoundland. Who says dreams don't come true?
The summer between 6th and 7th grade, my mom bought me any Scholastic books that I wanted for the summer. I bet there were 30 at least. That was my summer entertainment. I remember that I got a biography of Martin Luther King Jr. It was for adult readers but I was definitely at that stage!

What a fun trip you have taken me down memory lane! Thanks for asking this question.

LSlycord

I was another that would read the back of a cereal box or a match book cover or a napkin or the little blurb on the menu about the history of the restaurant. I also read lots of Dr. Seuss...I guess I really kind of learned to read with "Hop on Pop" and "The Cat in the Hat".

Now really and truly off to dig out my hurricane readiness supplies!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Yes that's it. I'm very much for progress, but we also lose a lot. My grandchildren have never seen a library and many things at school are taught without books.
I was thrilled to be able to take my grandson to the Public Library - the Main Library - a couple of years ago. He got so excited by the rows and rows of books.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I'm very thankful for progress too; without internet, I wouldn't have met you, Sylvia, and other wonderful friends here. But, my granddaughters have never read a complete book, or been inside a library, and that makes me so very sad.
Me too, Betty Jo.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Wow! Your thread is very timely! Yes, eventually I came through drama, and am stronger for it, although a couple of my siblings didn't (they have passed), and a couple of them are still struggling. I was the oldest child, and things got progressively worse through the years and sadly my younger siblings went through the worst of it. My parents had to drop out of school, third and fourth grades, during the depression to help on the farm. My mother could read, but my father could not. So, they weren't a big encouragement in that area. I will forever be grateful for the teachers I had as a child who encouraged me to read.
What a beautiful testament to the way things were and how they/we got through them. I LOVE threads like this where we can share our stories.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
This thread is bringing back so many good memories!

My dad used to work for Silver Burdett, now part of Simon and Schuster, in the educational text division. He used to bring home samples of books and series and I loved reading them. A lot from Time Life. We had series about The Wild West, WWII, plus science books on the oceans, dinosaurs, planets, and so on. All very cutting edge in the 70s LOL

I adored the Little House books and dressed up as Laura Ingalls for Halloween one year. I also wanted to make their Maple Syrup candies in the snow. Do any of you remember that? They heated the maple sugar and then poured it into shapes over snow. Pro Tip from an 8-year-old me: Pancake syrup does *not* work the same as maple syrup hahaha!

My kids loved books too- their favorites were The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and the Kissing Hand. We also read the Harry Potter Books together- I read 1-3 out loud when they were too young to read them on their own. It was also one of the few movies (Sorcerer's Stone) I let them watch before they read the book. I was one of those mean moms who told them that the books are almost always better than movies.
Oh my gosh, Chris, you have given me chills. That's SO cool about your dad - how wonderful that must have been. My kids love Little House and this is so awesome - I had a "pioneer outfit" that my mom made for me, when I was a kid and my oldest DD, Adrienne, always wanted to wear it to pretend she was Laura. One year, she word it - hat and all - for our Thanksgiving dinner. I'm SO loving this thread - you're all bringing back so many memories.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
How I loved to read! I would read everywhere. I would even read as I walked to school. Fortunately it was a small town without much traffic so I didn't get run over. LOL

The first ones were the Bobbsey twin books. We had so many of those at the library. And I had some of my own. I probably started reading those in 3rd grade. They were really old even when I was reading them in the '60's. But I loved them...Nan and Bert and Flossie and Freddie. They were a kind of "Leave it to Beaver" to me. Then I started the Little House on the Prairie books after our 4th grade teacher read "Farmer Boy" to us each day after lunch. I read Nancy Drew and Black Beauty and all of the horse books. And Pippi Longstocking and Karen Killilea (sp?) when I decided that one day I would have a newfoundland. Who says dreams don't come true?
The summer between 6th and 7th grade, my mom bought me any Scholastic books that I wanted for the summer. I bet there were 30 at least. That was my summer entertainment. I remember that I got a biography of Martin Luther King Jr. It was for adult readers but I was definitely at that stage!

What a fun trip you have taken me down memory lane! Thanks for asking this question.
I have enjoyed this thread, SO much, Linda! I never dreamed my question would evoke so many wonderful memories - not only for me, but for all of you. We have so much in common. Reading is SO wonderful and I've loved sharing my love with all of you.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I was another that would read the back of a cereal box or a match book cover or a napkin or the little blurb on the menu about the history of the restaurant. I also read lots of Dr. Seuss...I guess I really kind of learned to read with "Hop on Pop" and "The Cat in the Hat".

Linda, the hurricane readiness will give you LOTS to read. J/K - stay safe!!!!

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥

Meeeee toooo. Be safe. I'll be so glad when this threat is over for y'all and my relatives in FL. ♥