Oscraps

Daily Ooo's: Thursday, September 26

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Ugh. My mouse is giving me issues. I am not sure if it is my mouse or the computer itself but either way I am scared I am going to lose my posts.

I didn't want to get out of bed again this morning. I didn't sleep well last night. I woke up around 11 pm, the dogs were all unsettled and I can hear Gary banging away on something in the basement. And it gets louder and louder. I finally get up, go the basement steps and shout if he is OK. All he says to me is that we don't have water and is trying to fix it. I ask if he needs help and he grouses at me that he is busy. I go back to bed but who can sleep through that racket? Not me, not the dogs. Definitely not me with the idea of not having water. Not two days before a family party either. Remember when that happened in May- the day beofre having 25 people here we had no water and Cait had to go to a neighbor's house to rinse the shampoo out of her hair?

By the time Gary told me that it is all good, the water was back on, I was too stressed to get back to sleep.

I finished the pumpkins yesterday and they did come out kind of cute if a bit lumpy. Still not sure who actually would want one as a gift, but whatever ;)
I am doing a bit more cleaning here this morning then over at my friend's this afternoon. Tomorrow will be the food prep and decorating. I think I might actually be semi-ready.

Do you have any fun plans today? Hope so! :kiss:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I forgot to add, in between cooking dinner (the insanity-producing honey chicken/tofu that takes all day to make) I scrapped a page! I have to spend some time in the gallery today too. I have been so MIA here.

Trudy- It is truly so sad how social media can influence young people to either view themselves negatively or harm themselves. However, SM can help others to not feel so alone, I know that my kids have trans friends that SM/online forums have helped greatly. I guess, as, with everything in life, things can be good and bad. Scott recently worked with someone he met online who is making a film about people who have been suicidal and how they are grateful they are that they were unsuccessful. He filmed a spot with her about how he would have missed so many good things - my nephew, Leah, etc- . I am not sure what will be done with it post-production but I think it could be a really good avenue to open up conversations.
Caitlyn showed me a picture of a girl on Instagram the other day, asked me if I could tell how old she was. She looked young to me, but I thought she was near Cait's age, maybe a bit younger, so I guessed 19. She was 13. The pressure that child must have felt to dress in that way to make herself look that much older... I don't get it.

So my rambling point :ranger: is how online forums/SM can be a wonderful way to express yourself/find like minds or it can be a way to do the complete opposite.
Sorry that your shopping wasn't as good as you had hoped. I bet the jacket is cute on you! That is too cute that you got lost in crafting. Was your Gary bummed that you didn't have dinner on the table? :pound:

Nancy- we watched one episode of Fleabag over the summer. We couldn't get into it. It sounds like one of those shows that grows on you over time, maybe we will try it again.
That is the reason I like crocheting over knitting. It is much easier to fudge a mistake without having to pull out rows if you miss a stitch. Of course, that means you end up with lopsided pumpkins! LOL
Heh, my mom is Italian. She *loves* to cook. She will cook for my dad, just no appetite to eat what she makes. She told me yesterday that she is is so scared that if she eats something "wrong" she will end up back in the hospital. I think that the more comfortable she gets with everything, that will help her get over that fear.

Jean- that is great to hear that the land is being returned to its natural marshy state. How was birding yesterday? The weather has been very nice here although a bit too dry.

Kay- What a huge drop in temps for you. It has been like that here this week. I have been wearing lots of layers- on and off, over and over.
This month has flown by. I can't believe we are at the end of the month. I am happy that you were able to get your Oct challenge prepped. Oct is going to be a busy one!

hugs!

nancyr

good morning - lots of news breaking in the US. It is a time for accountability but it will be long process with lots of conflicting news. I was thinking hockey will be a great distraction but now the news about one of the Toronto Maple Leafs best players is pretty disturbing. Auston Matthews (a kid from AZ) while home during the summer apparently while drunk with friends tried to break into a security guards car. The guard is a female. She knew they were drunk and explained what they did was not smart. Well Matthews on leaving pulled down his pants and mooned her. She told the police that she would not have made a complaint except for the father of Matthews claimed she was a liar and his son would never do anything like this. They showed him the security footage. The father never apologized and then they never told the Leafs organization that this happened. This kid does not know who lucky he is that she did not have a gun and just shoot him as AZ is an open carry state. My DH when he was in high school did dumb things and his mom scared him straight when the police caught him and his friends joy riding on golf carts on a golf course and she left him custody for a few hours. He straighten out. He knows kids do dumb things but he also knows you don't cover it up when your kid does something wrong. So hockey is distracting but not in a good way. And Trudy my team lost to your Boston team that looked really good and my team did not except for my goalie. Yesterday was blood draw and final talk with surgeon. It was good and I really like him. Yesterday dinner was good and easy as it was all done in the oven. Roasted pork with a BBQ seasoned coating and then veggies carrots, potatoes and shallots and radishes. Very tasty as it had a mustard spicy maple syrup sauce. Now today will be a chicken dish.

Chris that is crazy about your water. Sorry about the noise but at least you have water. That is awesome that your Gary can do this himself. Sounds like you are ready for the party. Should be lots of fun! And you are correct about SM as with anything there are pluses and minuses.

Trudy your shopping sounds good and you stepped out of your comfort zone to get that jacket so have fun with it!

Jean that is so cool that the place is becoming a marsh again. Hope you saw lots of birds! Sorry that the Yankees could not help Cleveland by defeating Tampa.

Have a great day all!

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Good day ladies as I am very late getting here today! A mixed bag of weather today with sunshine and blue skies right now, but I can see lots of rain clouds coming up the valley. I got all my morning chores done and had a long face time chat with Heather and Hunter. He is having so much fun at pre-school. He still cries when his Dad leaves him (poor Jonah!) It is heartbreaking to leave your child when they are so upset! But it only lasts a moment and then he has a blast all day long LOL. Mason was home yesterday, not feeling well with a cough and sore throat. So it begins again with all the sickness from school, now Heather is feeling like she is catching the bug!! Ugh!! Yesterday's hike was great! The weather was beautiful and the perfect temps for hiking! Beautiful views at the top overlooking the Saanich Peninsula and Salt Spring Island. Lots of up and down and I was happy that took both of my hiking poles, we really needed them! Today I am trying to get my scrap page done and get some commenting done too. Oh and I received an email from a Lady who say my paintings in one of the galleries and is wondering if I would give lessons ?? I don't know what to say? Should I do it or not ?? :noidea: I could use some feedback from all of you lovely ladies on this !!

Chris - Ohhh nooo not water problems again!! Sure hope that your Gary has gotten it all fixed and it doesn't happen again!! ITA with you that SM can be helpful for those out there that are feeling alone or need to connect with others that have their same interests/issues etc. Like you say it is like everything else and has its good points and bad! Hope that you will get a much better sleep tonight! Sounds like you are doing well preparing for the party!! Looking forward to seeing you pics of your pumpkins!!

Nancy - Sad to hear about the Toronto Maple Leaf player acting so badly!! His father sounds like he is in denial about his not so much of an angel son!! Shame on him!! The same thing happened with our Son as your DH, he got caught behaving badly while intoxicated and we let him sit in cells all night!! It sure taught him a lesson and he never, ever got into any trouble again. I did not sleep all night worrying about him, but it was the best thing we could have ever done for him!! Sounds like another amazing meal was cooked in your house!! I should really get something out for dinner tonight, but no idea what I should prepare! Hope that hockey is a good distraction for you today!! Yes DH said his Bruins were looking pretty good, hopefully they can stay healthy and keep it up! I keep trying on the Jacket, but I think that I will return it. I just don't think I will wear it very much :sad:

Ok I need to get busy with my page and then I have to run out to my sister's to pick up some eggs she has for me. Guess I will return the jacket at that time too. Have a great day everyone! :wave:

scrap-genie

Yesterday we were a little tired (or joints creaky) and didn't bird as much but partly because it was windy and not very birdy. Still we had a good time and saw nice things. This afternoon I had my art class again. I had no ideas going in but found a great paper to work on and just went at it. I'm happy with what evolved so far. On top of that, DH's niece who was here in the spring with SiL saw some of my drawings and today asked if I had one in need of a home that they could mat and frame. Boy did that make my day. I've sent her pictures/links to seven possibilities and hope one really appeals.

Chris, you sound less stressed about the party than usual, so that is one good thing. We're all sure the pumpkins will be a hit. But, yikes about the water situation. Too bad your sleep was disrupted, but if G got it fixed, that's good. Hope the computer issue goes away! As to aging of little girls, I have seen younger girls than that looking like something much too old. So glad not to be a youngster these days.

Nancy, that hockey player is just one of many jerk jocks I'm afraid. With a father like that he will probably still think he did no wrong. Guess it's like SM, good and bad sides to everything. And thanks to the Yankees for nothing! But the Indians needed to win every game and blew it last night.

Trudy, the story about Hunter crying when left, but only briefly, sounds just like what my sister told me I did when our parents left me home with her to babysit (she's a lot older). She said I quit as soon as they were out of sight. As to teaching the painting, that is a big commitment to undertake. Where would you do it? How many would you teach, what payment, what insurance if at your home, etc.? And your time is so limited now! But OTOH would you LIKE to do it? The hike sounds wonderful and beautiful.

Kay, that is a big drop in temps! Hope the change makes the allergies go away though. And that you get a good sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kythe

CHEERY O
I got my hair cut the other day and I am still reeling from it. The fellow usually does a great job but this time did he ever blindside me. It is so short that it totally changed the shape of my face. I avoid mirrors as it is so not me. Good thing hair grows but it will take longer than Christmas to get it to mid-ear.

Well I realize it is very early however I went looking for our Hallowe'en costumes today. I hit all the thrift stores to put together outfits for hubby and myself. Every year my sister has a pot luck supper and decorates her porch in a specific theme. This year it is candy/gingerbread house as in the Hansel and Gretel. So I thought witch and wizard would work nicely. Hubby will be a Harry Potter type. Believe it or not I found the perfect robe which is not easy as he is a big man. All he needs to do is add black pants and a white shirt,tie and scarf. Possible find some round glasses somewhere.
For me, I am going the steampunk witch route. I found a wonderful fitted black velvet jacket with gold buttons. The peplum is trimmed with gold cord and multi coloured jewels. It has a lovely full stand up collar of taffeta. Then I found a black skirt with angled white trimmed ruffles. I'll add some fancy stockings and a witches hat, a straw broom and I'm good to go.

Should be fun.