Oscraps

Daily Ooo's: Thursday, February 5

whatnext

'morning! just starting the thread in Chris' absence. hopefully she's still asleep! i'll check in later to see what's new.:becky:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Hi Phyllis! Oh I wish I was still asleep. Gary and I were having a long discussion about Caitlyn. She is *still* not taking her Lyme meds nor her iron supplements and we are trying to find a way to get her back on track. Last night I told her that she was going to have to pay for her dr's visits ($420 each visit) if she continues to be non-compliant. I know that she can't pay that, but I think that she should kick in a bit-- even $50-- if only to make her realize how it hurts us financially. As for the entire health for her future aspect, I don't know how to get it through to her. I know that being 16, she isn't looking far ahead and it is difficult to accept that she will most likely be infected for life. Hell, it is hard for me to understand and accept that for myself, as well as for the rest of my family.

I am so intensely jealous of Trudy! We have more snow today, and another storm coming through on Sun-Mon. I told Gary that I hate winter more than snow b/c if there were no winter, there would be no more snow. I said I need the weather to stay between 60*-85*. Even the 60* is cold for me but I can deal. hahah!

I am taking it easy today. Yesterday I got out for a "field trip." My next door neighbor is an amazing artist. He was an art teacher until he retired this past Sept. but his true talent is in drawing. The detail he does is insane. I think you would need to look at it with a magnifying glass to see all of it. Several of his works are on display at our library. I am out of books, so we went to see his artwork and I picked up a new book to read.
Then I came home and rested. :sleep:

Thank you so much for your concern about me driving, I was actually cleared to drive as long as I wasn't taking pain meds any more. I don't have any external stitches/incision, everything was done from the inside. (You should have seen Cait's face when it dawned on her what that meant:jaw: I have to agree with that reaction too, it freaked me out when I read about the surgery and what it entailed)
However, I do appreciate the nature of driving. Coming out of the library lot, Gary started to pull out and couldn't see a car coming down the road (damn piles of snow!!!) and ended up slamming on the brakes. Ouch that hurt!!!! he felt so bad. I don't plan on driving anywhere farther than the bus stop for now.

That is it from cold and snowy NJ. Off to bury my head under blankets and watch the next episode of the Tudors. :D

QOTD- if you could go back to school, free of charge and no tests, what would you study?
I would like to study art history again. I took one course of that when I was in college and I loved it. I had the coolest hippie nun as a teacher too. She was awesome! But I think it makes my interest in history a "living" subject, one thst can be appreciated today.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Nancy-- OMG, huge huge hugs to you and your friend. I have gone through this with Scott (thankfully, he freaked out enough after huffing a small amount of compressed air and stopped in time, he still reflects on that and how much it shook him up) and Cait with her cutting. And I guess Gary too, when he was so sick and mis-diagnosed for so long. It hurts my heart to think of people feeling such pain to try, as well as the people who are there trying to pick up the pieces.
That is way too funny about the Great Puppy Escape!
I worry about Scott driving with the music too loud too. When did I get to be such an old fart?

Phyllis- I just adore you! You really tell it like it is. :hug:
Like I said up there, no worries, I am all good, not taking any risks.
i thought of you when I was on the phone with the County agency. I had submitted my reapplication forms in Oct. Was sent a letter saying that I needed to submit No Income forms for Scott and myself. I did that and figured I was good to go. Last year I didn't get info on our benefits until mid-January, and then afterward, I wasn't much thinking about it. When I called yesterday, the woman told me that I needed Gary's SS award letter (already been done), a heating bill (also done) and Scott's college schedule (not sure why that mattered, but ok...) I kind of lost it on her. I wanted to know why I was not contacted again if they needed more info. And how the heck did they lose the other info I had submitted? Then I got really frustrated when she said that she needed Scott's schedule and I said, he is in Passaic County College, you are Passaic Cty Agency, can't you figure this out??? I knew that she couldn't do that and I did apologize for being a bitch. Yup, that is what I said. She said, i didn't say that you were that ma'am. I said, I know that but I *was* being a bitch LOL But it all straightened out now.

Sharon- how nice that you have been together with your arty-girls for so long. Your grands sound amazing! What a fun dinner!
My heart breaks for you too RE: your GDD. Thank goodness that she is ok now, but I don't think that fear ever truly goes away. Gary had to be in a facility for 5-days (legally it it 72 hours in NJ) but he landed in there over a weekend. It was absolutely devastating.

Jean- were you a :hippie:? I guess with any generation, there will be the good and the bad. I grew up in the 80's and we had great music, big hair and the AIDS epidemic. Mixed bag.

I am not a huge Billy Joel fan, but his song We Didn't Start the Fire or whatever the name is, is just an incredible run down of American history of the past decades.

I am with you all-- even when we agree to disagree, there is still so much to enjoy together- like drinks on a beach with Trudy! Love you guys!!

whatnext

hey, Chris! i was a Hippie!! what else could i be as a music major during the '60s? i hung out with jazz musicians as a rule. lots of fun! and other stuff.... the situation with Cait is such a worry. it's somewhat like having a child who is Type 1 diabetic. as you know, you can't choose to ignore diabetes, and people with Type 1, and kids with Type 1 in particular, i think have a really difficult row to hoe. any sort of chronic thing that requires active "participation" by the person who suffers with it is hard. no vacation from Type 1. no vacation from Lyme. and THAT is the bitch of the thing. being young and having to be so engaged with a disease is psychologically just SO hard. i can understand how she feels. but what to do? i wish i knew. good luck, and hugs. on your phone explosion: why do you feel compelled to apologize when people are being ridiculous and incompetent and they inconvenience you big time? you should not deflect the problem's causes back onto yourself. you did nothing wrong. so how are YOU a bitch? not.

Shar, the artsy ladies sound like fun! and what a cool dinner your Grands made for you! i'm missing The Grandmen and Peanut a lot recently. my DIL sent me links to The Grandmen's school pages, and i get to see things like my oldest GS explaining the picture he drew about how water evaporates, makes clouds, storms, etc, and goes back to the ocean. i got a laugh at the point where he pointed out a shark he drew in the ocean getting bonked in the head by a ceiling tile during a hurricane.

Jean i agree with everything you say about the art, music, women's lib of the late 60s. good stuff to live in. but we're living the results of the OTHER things in the '60s right now. the not so good things. e.g., i see a straight line between Chris's '80s AIDs epidemic to the behavior of the '60s and the changes in the sorts of indiscriminate pleasures people became used to believing they were entitled to. there are, to me, so many obvious straight lines between some of what we did then and the troubles of the world now. the Baby Boom generation. we didn't make the country or the world a better place. TG we're on our way out, before we can do any more damage.

Nancy, are you gonna get the extra snow Chris described? we got about another inch last night. i don't think we're supposed to get more any time soon. really, i'm not sure. i better check the radar!

QOTD: i'd be an astrophysicist, if i could do the math. how sweet would it be to be at Mission Control when something you worked on lands on Mars?

gotta go out and get some mozzarella for pizza dinner tomorrow, and some SF Jello. AND a Powerball ticket. if i win, i'll reserve a beach house for us, and we'll get together and drink wine and complain. :becky:

Last edited by a moderator:

SharLamb

Sharron
Well, if it's just going to keep raining, I'm leaving town! LOL Late morning I leave for a short trip to visit DD, SIL, and 5 DGC in Utah. Dave isn't coming this time. He doesn't like visiting the kids in the winter...prefers when he can do outdoor activities with them like parks and bike-riding. Praying for smooth plane-to light rail-to train connections. At least it will be warm (63!!!) and sunny. If we'd known it was going to be in the 60s, maybe Dave would have come too. I may have to talk DSIL into 9 holes while I'm there! Wouldn't THAT be ironic?!

Anyway, I will be communicating from my iPad again. Of course, they have computers, but I hate using theirs unless I have to.

Paul didn't make it over this week, so I am still working under a handicap. Hard to put together scrapbook pages when I can't conveniently see my stuff.

Love the flower child smilie you found for Jean, Chris. We didn't travel much in hippie circles, although my half-sister had that bent. But several years ago we met "an old hippie," and he is one of our dearest friends now. Every once in awhile the fading flower-child in him rises to the surface--he will get a faraway look on his face including a little smirk, but for the most part, it is behind him.

Chris, glad you got clearance from the doctor. Hope your issues with Cait will resolve. This is why 16-year-olds shouldn't vote. Their brains have not developed all the skills needed to make long-term, wise decisions. oh yeh....maybe mine hasn't either!!!! =:O I didn't realize you had gone through "The Problem" (that no one wants to talk about, including me)...and more than once! Bless your heart. Hope all your forms get straightened out...SOON! Such aggravation...and seems so senseless.

QOTD: Graphic Arts

Stay warm!

A little later: Had to add this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzdvQOXxRD4
I LOVE this song, and this youtube version has some awesome graphics with it.

Last edited by a moderator: