Oscraps

Daily Ooos: June 5-6: Weekend Edition

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
It is true, it is sunny here! Yay! It looks like we will have some summery weather the next few days and I could not be more thrilled and relieved. The non-stop rain was getting to me.

Caitlyn asked if I wanted to run some errands with her yesterday and I ended up driving. Good thing too because on the way home, we got caught in a thunderstorm that was sent from hell. It was literally right overhead and the thunderclaps made us jump. Scott was on a road parallel to us and said the same. The sky just opened.
Before that, however, as soon as we got outside of my town the sun was trying to pop out and we had a nice time chatting. We were walking from one store to another and she ran into the store between the two. I knew she was going to do that, probably before she did. ;) It was Petco and we had to go watch the small animals. The mice were cracking us up- one was running on the wheel the entire time and a second one would join in. Then a third and a fourth would make the attempt with varying results. I joked with Cait that her generation missed out on the excitement and danger of doing that on merry-go-rounds.

I remember the merry-go-round at my elementary school that was fun and terrifying to play on. Until it was taken away after someone broke their arm. How many of you have that same story from your childhood? I bet a lot!

I decided to wait until today to scrub my shower but I made a card for my brother's birthday and got that in the mail. I doubt he will get it today and his birthday is tomorrow and there's no mail. I am a bad sister *g* When we were shopping, I was looking for a gift for him and one for Arlene whose b-day is the following week. I have no ideas for anyone. No one needs anything, at least not that is in my price range. haha.

I am going to spend as much time outside as I can and I have to remember to use sunscreen or Cait will yell at me again.

TTYS!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@tanteva That is such a good quote. I wish that there was a surefire way for me to internalize it.

@felis- I see what you are saying, putting it into the universe the things that you would like. I hope that it works for you, you deserve all good things!
Congrats on your shopping orders- books, yarn, and clothes would all be welcome at my house too. I get jealous of my kids when they get Amazon deliveries and I wish I had some too. But that means I would have to spend money. hahah!
I tend to worry about other people, not myself where I ignore the things that are more personally distressing about me. Does that make sense? I agree, I need to get back into more self-help/meditations again. I think it makes a difference. Thank you for the hugs!

@nancyr I am so glad that you and Luther weren't on a walk when the storms came through. They were so intense up here and am guessing it was the same by you. I didn't even think of the smoker and wood getting wet- I hope that everything DS cooked came out delicious anyway.
Seriously, when do you sleep?? ha!!!!! Have a great time at the wedding today, they lucked out with the weather. I know a bunch of towns by me had proms on Thursday and Friday and everyone was going to get soaked.
I love that technique of creating a layer for the drop shadow. I only recently learned how to do that and it really does make a difference. The other thing I started to do with shadows is to create a layer then use a layer mask to erase/lighten certain areas like on lace or ribbons.
Did you hear that NJ is doing vaccinations at some beaches? That is cool. And I also signed up and got the NJ Vax Pass- free parking at state parks.. It is on the NJ.gov website if you haven't seen that.
Here is the link: https://www.nj.gov/dep/vaxandvisit/

Have a fab weekend!

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I've been working on a layout today for one of the challenges for HOURS. Hubby is working today (library is open on Saturdays, and it was his turn this week) and is coming home soon. I need to start dinner. I'm making a recipe from a WW cookbook, and it's going into the oven for 50 minutes so I need to get started. It's a new thing, I've never tried - putting everything in a baking dish, including the un-cooked rice. I sure hope it will be edible!

The layout isn't finished. And I know once I post it, people will think it took like 15 minutes to make. LOL Some of the layouts take a really long time to make ... but we love it, don't we?!

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Quick in and out this morning. Ran several errands yesterday afternoon... bank, WalMart, and grocery store. Had to go to the bank and reset my debit card pin as it wasn't working!!! Grrrr.... Did a quick dash into WM and got the potting soil and oranges... plus I found a red long tee to wear with my leggings. Then scored at Smith's - got some fresh peaches, nectarines, and apples; also got some ice cream (on sale) and some bbq ribs dinners. The reason for the short in-and-out is I need to get the potting soil and bulbs into the pots before it gets too hot. Suppose to be to 93 today and even hotter for the next week!!! Summer has arrived.
CYL

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I am finished... would do a happy dance but the bod is letting me know that it isn't real happy right now! Got the pots filled and the 'bulb's planted and watered.. The bulbs are really small and dried out - so not sure if they will sprout. Will give them a few weeks but if they don't - will find some other type of prerenal to put in the pots. Was going to vacuum the dead leaves in the back yard but the leaf vacuum wouldn't turn on. Will have my Son-in-law take a look at it to see if he can figure out what is wrong with it. Did another round of spraying the weeds then deep watered the front yard trees. Was able to get the dead cherry tree and dead branches into the trash bin. Glad to see the last of them. Now I need to take an Aleve and relax for awhile. Glad I got that done early... the temp is already up to 80*!!! Going to be a hot one. I am ready for a nap.

felis

Hello lOvelies!
Oh, it was gorgeous day! Finally I was able to wake up when my body wants it, not by the alarm, which is such a good mood booster! I found that my parents are been on shopping trip and surprisingly they was come back in lovely happy mood. So we spend the afternoon drinking coffee, eating ice cream and collecting sun kisses at the garden! After that we did our typical for weekend cleaning chores, which gives me the satisfaction of completed task. At June usually my roses start to bloom, but because of the unusual cold weather this year they are still too small. But fortunately the other flowers deal great! Peony are gorgeous! I need more days like this!

Chris,
No, no, no ... nop, no, no ... I refuse Chris to be my Jiminy Cricket!
You are lovely in dark times, my darling, but awful in happiness! But yes I understand what you mean by ''that means I would have to spend money''. That exactly is the paradigm, your is on ''bossy mother'' that needs to be prepared for the worst scenario, but mine is on ''victorian lady'' that think: oh if something happens the adrenaline rush will give me answers what to do. LOL. I can't salt away and waiting for troubles, because then I would have no other but surviving. What yarn exactly you are interested of? Some new fancy projects? I left with impression that you gets free books from amazon? As to clothes do you use Honey or some similar app that finds coupons? I saved a lot because all was on sale. Books was four for €2 when usually just one cost €6. That left me €22 saved from books that can spend for yarn. ;)
Pfff, I can't get what I want from this law of attraction and ''The secret'' things, sometimes I get angry that I trust on nonsense, other time I'm so close that its scares me. Closer but never close enough! It's frustrating!!!
Wow, you was lucky that you was with Cait, this storm sounds very scary even in company, good that she wasn't alone! I'm the same with gifts choosing, never know what the others may liked! Enjoy to your sunny days!

Eva, I don't know did I'm slow scraper or my program is the problem but scraping always takes me between 1-3hr. I hope the diner dishes went well!

Kay, this is lots of yard work! I bet now it's looks lovely! Did you take a time just to sat and watched it with satisfaction? You should! About these dried out bulbs, you may try to start their germination on wet paper towel. And then plant them back.

Nancy, congrats for your son new job, that is awesome! Have fun on the wedding! Hey what happened with the wedding of the lady with elephants?

@Cherylndesigns we was talking more often when I wasn't here. Did I told or made something?! Please come back at O!
And Jean @scrap-genie, I saw you post at the other threads, but you not stop here. Why? :(

Last edited:

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Hello my lovelies.

Have you missed me??? I've missed all of you. I've been sick, that's why I haven't been around. Felis @felis I miss you - I haven't even been on IG for the last week. I'm back, now, to hopefully you'll see my crazy postings again.

My bed has been my BFF for almost the last week. As I crawled in last night, I thought, I hope this is the end of our "relationship". I love you (my bed), but I just want to spend my nights sleeping in you, not living in you for the last week. I've spent so many hours (I can't even calculate right now, because my brain in still mush) but I'm ready to break up with you. I just want you back as my my bedtime friend. I should write a book about our relationship, some day, except I seriously want to forget this past week.

Give me a couple of days and I'll be causing my usual amount of chaos. Haha

tanteva

It's June 6th - Sweden's national holiday. You know me by now, I don't bother at all. It's really not a big deal - feels like the day is more or less an invention. It's only been a national holiday for a couple of years. It's nothing like the 4th of July in the US. I don't really know why it is this date either. It used to be called "Swedish flag's day", but in 2005 the government made the decision to "transform" it to the national holiday. It's so new, there's really no traditions.

To be honest, I think our "real" national holiday should be Midsummer's Eve. There we have the same vibe as 4th of July. Everyone's celebrating, the world really stops in a way, and all that we do is celebrating midsummer. It's HUGE.

Anyway, I refuse to celebrate this "fake" holiday. :)

Dinner last night was fine. It was a casserole with rice, black beans, tomatoes, zucchini and mexican spices. But serving sizes these days are so big! Even when it's a Weight Watcher recipe. I halfed the recipe, it was 4 servings, and I made just 2. No ... turned out to be 4 servings. Will fry up the leftovers today, with an egg or two to make a fried rice dish. Maybe we're just getting old and eat less, but serving sizes are crazy big.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Good morning! I am waking up to another sunny and hot day and I am so happy. I was outside for 2 1/2 hours in the backyard. I am still cleaning up leaves and acorns but the little path from the back yard to the side of the house is opening up. I wish grass would grow but we only get moss and weeds. And rocks, lots and lots of rocks.

I don't think I did much of anything else- snuggled with the rats, especially the old girls. Cordelia is really slowing down and shows her age. Livvie is still a maniac even if she has been going blind for months. Still the sweetest, affectionate girls, both of them were chuckling and boggling so much. When rats are happy, they grind their teeth-bruxism- and when they are very happy, they bulge their eyes in and out as they chuckle. That sounds gross and the first time I saw a rat do that, it kind of freaked me out but it means that they are very content.

Gary and Cait gave the dogs *much* needed baths yesterday and today I am going to strip the bed and comforter to wash it all. The comforter smells like dog and now they both smell good again. Then I am going back outside, I think the marigolds should be ready to go into the ground and I want to clean up the patio a bit and fertilize the veggies.

Hope all of you are having a fab day!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@tanteva Is it that you are unhappy with how the LO is coming out or that it is complicated and time-consuming?
We do love it, even as we hate it. LOL

Kay- I think it was a good thing that the leaf vacuum didn't start, I cannot imagine how much more tired and achy you would have been. You got so much stuff done in the yard. *fingers crossed that the bulbs come up*
Hope that you were able to read and relax for the rest of the day.

@felis what a wonderful day you had! Sounds like everything was perfect, the weather, the ice cream, and the company. My friend's peonies have bloomed and wow, they are so pretty. You are lucky to have them too, do you get the ants along with them though? That is the only bad thing about them.
You are the perfect Victorian Lady- you just need a few more cats and dogs! muahahaha!! :p :);)
I use all of the sales apps that I can- the problem is that to spend money you need to *have* money. ;) And that is one thing I don't have any extra of. I am asking for money for my birthday so I can get some new clothes.

@Cherylndesigns I have missed you and have been worried sick. It seems like you are starting to feel a little more like yourself. Please take it easy getting back on your feet.

@tanteva Happy(ish) holiday? How many Swedish holidays are there and do you get paid for all of them? I saw that your DH gets 5 weeks of paid vacation. If you get all of that, plus paid holidays I am going to give on asking Trudy to adopt me- and going to beg you instead!
The dinner sounds good, I guess you could put some tofu on top if you wanted some extra protein? Enjoy the leftovers!

tanteva

@faerywings You really shouldn't ask me how work, vacation and salary works. I refuse to adult in that way. LOL The unions are strong in Sweden, and workers are (most of the time) payed decently.

There are 13 holidays in Sweden: New Year's Day, The thirteenth day (after Christmas), Good Friday, Easter Day, Easter Monday, May 1st (Union/Workers Day), Ascention Day, Pentecost, June 6th (National holiday), Midsummer Day, All Saint's Day, Chrismas Day and Boxing Day. In a way, you are getting payed in a sense, cuz you have a monthly salary, no matter how many days you work.

And like today, when the National Holiday falls on a Sunday, hubby actually get's an extra vacation day, that he can take whenever he wants, as a compensation.

Vacation is 5-6 paid weeks, depending on how old you are. Or rather you get a set amount of days, that you can take out as you like. Most work places though, have set weeks when you take your summer holiday. Hubby usually takes 4 weeks off in the summer, and save the rest for when needed - and a for the days between Christmas and New Year's.

Sweden is a great country to live in. You are more than welcome. But - the flip side is: we have very high taxes in comparison. (But we do get a lot for those taxes.)

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Chris, you are right about it being a good thing that the leaf vacuum was not working... my body was talking to me most of yesterday afternoon. Yes, I did take a nap - not that I intended to but fell asleep and napped for over an hour. The Aleve must have kicked in and that put me to sleep. A bit stiff today so will be taking it easy today. We had a bit rain late yesterday afternoon so very happy I had finished working on the pots before it fell. No rain in the forecast for the next week - so will be out hand watering the pots and front yard trees. Really need to buy the expandable hose and new sprayer to make the job easier.

And you have been busy in the yard, too, Chris. Hope you aren't too stiff and sore from all that work.

Wow, Eva, thanks for explaining about how the pay and time off/holidays work there in Sweden.

Cheryl, glad to hear you are feeling better... was wondering where you were. Yep... a week in bed is too long to be down. Take it easy as you regain your strength.

Felis, so glad you had a good time with your parents and the ice cream sounds delicious.

Off to get dressed and have some brunch.... I forgot to get breakfast so will indulge with some French toast.

nancyr

good afternoon - yesterday was strange. Got up to watch my hockey and of course the US lost to Canada but they still had a chance for a medal in today's game. And yes they defeated Germany today to win the bronze medal. I am very happy that they came out and won. It was an awesome game. To me the gold and bronze medals are the best because you have to win those games. I was tired and needed to be awake for the wedding so after the game went back to bed. My son was finishing up the smoking and his partner brought his daughter and she got along so well with Luther. So Luther just does not like the kids on his bean bag. Hopefully Jackie's kids will figure it out. She played and Luther just left her alone. So cute. Got up to iron my dress and of course it was no wear to be found. Finally my DH went to target to get us an iron as he too needed to iron his shirt. I mean nothing like waiting until the last minute. But we had an iron. My DH has used it but now cant find it. OH well. It all worked out and all was ironed and we made it to the wedding with plenty of time to spare. It was a gorgeous day with the wedding on a lake with lots of green space. The food was in a tent but lots of fans so it was not hot at all. She looked gorgeous! It was a great place to have a wedding. We sat a table with all of our friends so again so nice to catch up. The food was done as stations so you could get as much as you wanted of what you wanted. Loved the mashed potato station and pasta station. They also had fish and tacos. And the desserts were awesome! Of course dancing. A fun day. Today is hot but we have the AC on. My DH just got back after helping our son put in the AC units at his home. I guess as Kay said summer is here. More hockey today and some scrapping.

@faerywings Chris yes we had the same horrible thunderstorm. As quick as it was here it was gone. Thank goodness. That is cute about Cait having to stop at Petco. Glad you had so much fun outdoors. I think that for all of us it is not the presents but the the thought that counts. I am sure your brother is just glad to hear from you, same with your BFF. We have the AC on it is warm!

@BrightEyes Kay wow you really got a lot accomplished! No wonder you needed Aleve. Hope you are not too sore today! Like Chris good thing you leave blower gave you a rest! Yes summer has arrived!

@tanteva Eva I have made those recipes with everything in the same pot and if there is enough liquid the rice is cooked. Hope yours turned out well! I am still amazed at your 5-6 weeks of vacation. I don't mind paying taxes if you actually see what you are paying for.

@felis Felis what a great day. It is nice to not have to awake to an alarm. Glad you have fun with outdoors with family.

@Cherylndesigns Cheryl OMgosh so sorry you have been sick for so long. That is terrible! Glad you are feeling better and yes will be fun to have you back.

Have a great day all!

felis

Hello my dears!
Pfft, I'm the worst gardener! Everyone of us have a part of the yard that have to mow. But my allergy hits me so hard that I wasn't able even to stay on the porchway let alone to mown. I was sneeze so much that we was kidding that my head will explode. I'm feels so guilty that my dad has to mow the whole huge yard! Hope till next time pollens are gone and I'll can to compensate! Then I was wondering when the air will be clean enough to can watering without my throat to start burn and here comes a rain. So I found another excuse to have a lazy day with the cats!

OMG, Cheryl, I'm so sorry to hear that you was so ill! Love your poetic description, but I hope that you are break up with the bed!

Chris, sounds as you are have nice day! I'm on opposite position grass is so boring, I love my wild plants! I was so happy to see during the No mown May (oh I'll have to scrap this too) how many people are start to think at this way too! Oh lots of ants with the peonies, but I don't mean them. Bugs and slugs not bother me! I'm always wondering on the other gardeners, you will not eat these flowers, so why you protect them so selfish? My garden is opened for everyone!
You are the perfect Victorian Lady- you just need a few more cats and dogs! muahahaha!! :p :);)
Yeah, sure :rolleyes::p IMG_20210605_173052.jpg

Eva, every chance to get a free day from work is enough reason for celebration!

Kay, I think that after day with gardening day with reading makes the weekend balanced!

Nancy, the wedding sounds lovely! Except the tacos, that confused me, I can't imagine ladies in fancy dress and tacos in their hands lol! To not be able to find your iron at the last moment is something that can happens at my family too!