Oscraps

Books set in Australia?

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I mainly read books in Swedish, but occasionally in English. The books I read are mainly set in Sweden, UK or the US. But now I'm watching a TV show from Australia, and I realized I really don't know much about Australia.

Would love to read some Australian books! Any suggestions? Old or new, doesn't matter. Book titles or maybe an author to check out.

Thanks!

scrap-genie

I mostly read mysteries and like a series in Australia by Jane Harper, starts with one called The Dry in 2016.
We've watched some YouTube things on Australia and a few movies from the library set there, but I still don't know that much about it either.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I am going back quite awhile... but I really enjoyed "The Thorn Birds" by Colleen McCullough. I also liked "A Town Like Alice" by Nevil Shute. "The Man From Snowy River" by Elyne Mitchell is another one.
I really liked "Journey: A Novel" by James Michener.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Well this one isn't about Australia as such, but Liane Moriarty is a fantastic contemporary novelist , just love all of her books and one of her books has been made into a mini series starring Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon called Big Little Lies.

I must admit I don't read a lot of Aussie type books, I am more into the historical English/Scottish type stories or those fantasy based ones like Lord of the Rings, Mists of Avalon etc. etc. :)

My sister however loves reading Aussie based books and love everything from Di Morrissey https://dimorrissey.com.au/ Di sets her novels in different parts of Australia so you get a bit of everything. :)

While not a book, if you ever get the chance to watch an Aussie TV series called McLeod's Daughters you won't be disappointed, it really is a fabulous show! It was filmed out in the country at a homestead called Drover's Run and as well as some fantastic acting you get to see a lot of the Aussie countryside, really beautifully done!

melscrap

CHEERY O
Some of the Aussie books I've enjoyed were:
- Stranger Country by Monica Tan
- The Cottage at Rosella Cove by Sandie Docker (se has a few other books too, set in idyllic Aussie places)
- Torched by Kimberley Starr
- The Other Side of Beautiful by Kim Lock
- The Fairvale Ladies Book Club by Sophie Green

And favourite Aussie authors are:
- Candice Fox
- Nicola Moriarty
- Caroline Overington

tanteva

Thanks everyone! I'm writing this all down & will check them out. But please - add to the list if you can/want! The books don't have to be super Aussie ... there are so much difference in the details. Little things we do, phrases we use, law & order, education systems, and so on. There's so much that we think are "normal" often seems kinda weird to people from other countries. (Think Vegemite LOL)

I saw Thorn Birds on TV, I had a huge crush on Richard Chamberlain - which is really creepy, since I was in my early teens and he must have been in his 40s. LOL Loved the story, I really should try and read the book. Remembered I was so sad for them! Also, A Town Called Alice was a TV show as well, I think. Don't remember much - basically Bryan Brown and a small air plane. LOL

Which reminds me of another show I saw once. I think it was Australian. Anyone remember this and can tell me the name, maybe? Guessing it was mid 80s, maybe? She was a rich heiress, and I guess she was a bit on the ugly side for some reason (I don't remember really) and sort of a spinster, then this really great looking guy came, and charmed her into marriage. He only wanted the money though and tried to kill her by pushing her to the alligators ... only she survived, had plastic surgery and got her revenge. Ring a bell to anyone? Maybe it was American, I'm not sure.

@wombat146 That's the show I'm watching right now! I'm obsessed! At least 4 episodes every day. Just started on the 4th season. Cried a river at the end of the 3rd season!!!!!! Almost got so angry, I finished watching. LOL

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Thanks everyone! I'm writing this all down & will check them out. But please - add to the list if you can/want! The books don't have to be super Aussie ... there are so much difference in the details. Little things we do, phrases we use, law & order, education systems, and so on. There's so much that we think are "normal" often seems kinda weird to people from other countries. (Think Vegemite LOL)

I saw Thorn Birds on TV, I had a huge crush on Richard Chamberlain - which is really creepy, since I was in my early teens and he must have been in his 40s. LOL Loved the story, I really should try and read the book. Remembered I was so sad for them! Also, A Town Called Alice was a TV show as well, I think. Don't remember much - basically Bryan Brown and a small air plane. LOL

Which reminds me of another show I saw once. I think it was Australian. Anyone remember this and can tell me the name, maybe? Guessing it was mid 80s, maybe? She was a rich heiress, and I guess she was a bit on the ugly side for some reason (I don't remember really) and sort of a spinster, then this really great looking guy came, and charmed her into marriage. He only wanted the money though and tried to kill her by pushing her to the alligators ... only she survived, had plastic surgery and got her revenge. Ring a bell to anyone? Maybe it was American, I'm not sure.

@wombat146 That's the show I'm watching right now! I'm obsessed! At least 4 episodes every day. Just started on the 4th season. Cried a river at the end of the 3rd season!!!!!! Almost got so angry, I finished watching. LOL
Eva, I was the same at the end of that season as well! :)

As to the show you are trying to find out about, the only thing that comes close to mind is a TV movie called Dirty John that starred an American actress and Eric Bana an Aussie actor played the main lead............ but there were no alligators in it! lol! (Well that I can remember that is!! LOL!)

And............ weird.................. vegemite???????!!!!!!!!!!! rolling-pin.gif hahhahaaaa!!!! The trick is put JUST A SMEAR of it on your toast or cracker with lots of butter! lol!! I watch people trying it for the first time and put this great big dollop of it on their bread and think 'You are going to be sorrrryyyy!!! " hahhaaa!!! It's one of those foods that little bit goes a long way!!! lol!

Last edited:

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I remember that show, Eva. Return to Eden!

As for tv shows, i just watched a new docters series called rfds
i think it is an updated version of the flying docters? Don't know if there are books about it.

tanteva

vegemite???????!!!!!!!!!!! View attachment 368120 hahhahaaaa!!!! The trick is put JUST A SMEAR of it on your toast or cracker with lots of butter! lol!! I watch people trying it for the first time and put this great big dollop of it on their bread and think 'You are going to be sorrrryyyy!!! " hahhaaa!!! It's one of those foods that little bit goes a long way!!! lol!
To be honest, I've never eaten it. I'm not that crazy. I smelled it, why on Earth would I put it in my mouth?!! LOL

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
To be honest, I've never eaten it. I'm not that crazy. I smelled it, why on Earth would I put it in my mouth?!! LOL
No, no, it is quite tasty really!!! lol! I love a tiny bit on toast with lots of butter! yum! and it's nice with cheese as well. LOL! but yes, it smells disgusting but it's full of Vitamin B's so it's good for ya!!!! :)

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
No, no, it is quite tasty really!!! lol! I love a tiny bit on toast with lots of butter! yum! and it's nice with cheese as well. LOL! but yes, it smells disgusting but it's full of Vitamin B's so it's good for ya!!!! :)
I don't think you can convince me. I tried a small bit on some bagel and I was sure glad I didn't put it on the whole bagel. lol

LazyDaisy

I love vegimite but I’ve never seen anyone who didn’t grow up with it like it, I’m sure they exist..
I thought I’d add to your long list.
  • Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts - Apparently a ”true story” about the Australian author’s experience in India after escaping prison in Australia. Loved it.
  • Down Under by Bill Bryson - This book isn’t by an Australian author but the best book on Australia I have read. It’s very funny & I learned so much I never knew about! I think he covers a lot of our weirdness.

melscrap

CHEERY O
I think it gotta be genetic, you have to have Aussie DNA to eat vegemite. LOL
My daughter who grew up in Aus loves Vegemite. I can't stand the stuff. It's too sweet compared to the British Marmite I grew up with. (Although the two are essentially the same thing). Weird, right?

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I love vegimite but I’ve never seen anyone who didn’t grow up with it like it, I’m sure they exist..
I thought I’d add to your long list.
  • Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts - Apparently a ”true story” about the Australian author’s experience in India after escaping prison in Australia. Loved it.
  • Down Under by Bill Bryson - This book isn’t by an Australian author but the best book on Australia I have read. It’s very funny & I learned so much I never knew about! I think he covers a lot of our weirdness.
Oh that book by Bill Bryson sounds interesting, will need to check it out. :) and yes we are a weird bunch!!! hahhaaaaa!!! :)

LazyDaisy

Oh that book by Bill Bryson sounds interesting, will need to check it out. :) and yes we are a weird bunch!!! hahhaaaaa!!! :)
I would recommend the book to anyone, I think it was hilarious & it’s amazing how much we don’t know about where we live & seeing it so well in someone else’s eyes. I don’t think I know anyone who didn’t enjoy it.

I just want to say oops to the other book as it is set in India. It’s written by an Australian so I was confused. Lol.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I would recommend the book to anyone, I think it was hilarious & it’s amazing how much we don’t know about where we live & seeing it so well in someone else’s eyes. I don’t think I know anyone who didn’t enjoy it.

I just want to say oops to the other book as it is set in India. It’s written by an Australian so I was confused. Lol.
Well I will definitely look out for the Bryson one! :) and don't worry too much with the other............ I think Eva has a LOT of books on her list now to read!!! lol!!! :)

tanteva

My daughter who grew up in Aus loves Vegemite. I can't stand the stuff. It's too sweet compared to the British Marmite I grew up with. (Although the two are essentially the same thing). Weird, right?
I thought they where the same thing, just different brands in UK & Aus. Equally weird, though. LOL

tanteva

@Nickel @melscrap Thank you both for suggesting the book about Alice Hart! Just finished it, and it was just amazing! It's one of those stories that stays with you for a long time. Will be one of those books I will recommend to customers at the library.

Brought home another book from work on Monday, that will be my next read: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
@Nickel @melscrap Thank you both for suggesting the book about Alice Hart! Just finished it, and it was just amazing! It's one of those stories that stays with you for a long time. Will be one of those books I will recommend to customers at the library.

Brought home another book from work on Monday, that will be my next read: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.
Liane is a brilliant author, hard to describe her writing, simplistic but at the same time gets right to the point. Just love her style of writing.

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Eva, there is a Scandinavian crime nevelist Jo Nesbo... he has a series about Harry Hole... the first book is set in Australia...

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O

Glad you loved it! The Husband is amazing too (in another way) IMHO

tanteva

Eva, there is a Scandinavian crime nevelist Jo Nesbo... he has a series about Harry Hole... the first book is set in Australia...
Is it?! Weird, I don't remember that. I love Jo Nesbø and have read them all.

Hamer Lodge

forever learning
The series from the 80's was called East of Eden I think. If you want a lighter book set in Australia, I can recommend Di Morrissey, she writes fictional stories but they are set in different Australian towns, she is one of our top selling authors. Also Judy Nunn is great as well.