Oscraps

Best Way to import templates in PSE

digiscrapper

Pictures, please
Hello,

What is the best way you import templates in PSE. I always drag the entire file into my workspace..Sometimes it comes in as layers, sometime not. Tonight I was working with a layer template but I couldn't use the clipping function. Also, I keep getting messages that PSE doesn't accept PSD files. What???

I'm on a MacBook Air, a couple of years old and using PSE 22

Thanks for any help you can give

Michele

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Hello,

What is the best way you import templates in PSE. I always drag the entire file into my workspace..Sometimes it comes in as layers, sometime not. Tonight I was working with a layer template but I couldn't use the clipping function. Also, I keep getting messages that PSE doesn't accept PSD files. What???

I'm on a MacBook Air, a couple of years old and using PSE 22

Thanks for any help you can give

Michele
Hi Michele, I will tag @Vicki Robinson who is knowledgeable in PSE plus she works on a MAC as well. Out of interest though, can you just open the psd template file rather than dragging it in? Once opened just save it again with a different filename so the original stays the same. :)

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Hi @digiscrapper Michele!

Let me see if I can help.

When you drag and drop a PSD or TIF from Mac Finder (or Windows File Explorer), onto the PSE application window (or its icon on the Dock or Task Bar), the file will always open in its own document inside of PSE. From there, you have a couple of options, both of which keep all of your layers intact:
  1. You can immediately save that PSD with a new name so that you don't accidentally overwrite the original and then work right on that document, or
  2. You can select all of the layers and drag them onto a document you already have open — or select them all, right-click and select "Duplicate Layers" and then choose your target document layer.
However, if you try to drag and drop a layered file from PSE's Photo Bin into an open document, PSE doesn't see all the layers and treats the entire file as one layer — there's no way to reveal the layers. So, in the case of an element template, you'll want to use option 2 above to select all of the layers and then drag (or duplicate them) onto your working document.

In order to help with the clipping mask problem you're having, if you take a screenshot that includes the document workspace and the layers panel, and which layer you are trying to clip, we might be able to identify why the clipping won't work.

We'd also need a screenshot of the error message about PSE not accepting PSD files — along with an explanation of what you were trying to do when you got that error.

Hope the first part of of my response helps with the layers issue, and I'll keep my eyes open for your screenshots so we can try to get things sorted for you.

digiscrapper

Pictures, please
Hi Michele, I will tag @Vicki Robinson who is knowledgeable in PSE plus she works on a MAC as well. Out of interest though, can you just open the psd template file rather than dragging it in? Once opened just save it again with a different filename so the original stays the same. :)
Thank you for your help. I will give your solution a try.

digiscrapper

Pictures, please

When you drag and drop a PSD or TIF from Mac Finder (or Windows File Explorer), onto the PSE application window (or its icon on the Dock or Task Bar), the file will always open in its own document inside of PSE. From there, you have a couple of options, both of which keep all of your layers intact:
  1. You can immediately save that PSD with a new name so that you don't accidentally overwrite the original and then work right on that document, or
  2. You can select all of the layers and drag them onto a document you already have open — or select them all, right-click and select "Duplicate Layers" and then choose your target document layer.
However, if you try to drag and drop a layered file from PSE's Photo Bin into an open document, PSE doesn't see all the layers and treats the entire file as one layer — there's no way to reveal the layers. So, in the case of an element template, you'll want to use option 2 above to select all of the layers and then drag (or duplicate them) onto your working document.

In order to help with the clipping mask problem you're having, if you take a screenshot that includes the document workspace and the layers panel, and which layer you are trying to clip, we might be able to identify why the clipping won't work.

We'd also need a screenshot of the error message about PSE not accepting PSD files — along with an explanation of what you were trying to do when you got that error.

Hope the first part of of my response helps with the layers issue, and I'll keep my eyes open for your screenshots so we can try to get things sorted for you.
Thank you very much, Vicki. I'll be on the lookout for the other things I mentioned. I will use your suggestions for keeping templates in layers. I'm getting up in age and sometimes I feel like I am starting from scratch

Thank you very much for your quick reply, Vicki.Some days I feel like I am starting from scratch. I don't have the old files that gave me problems, so I can't send screenshots. Look forward to using your new. set of backgrounds and I will keep an eye out for my other weird stuff happenings so I can send you a screenshot. What Mac do you work with? Michele

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Thank you very much, Vicki. I'll be on the lookout for the other things I mentioned. I will use your suggestions for keeping templates in layers. I'm getting up in age and sometimes I feel like I am starting from scratch

Thank you very much for your quick reply, Vicki.Some days I feel like I am starting from scratch. I don't have the old files that gave me problems, so I can't send screenshots. Look forward to using your new. set of backgrounds and I will keep an eye out for my other weird stuff happenings so I can send you a screenshot. What Mac do you work with? Michele

@digiscrapper Hi Michele -

I've been using an iMac (desktop) for at least 20 years now! I too am getting up in age and my eyes need a large screen — mine is 27 inches! I know what you mean about "starting from scratch" because I have days like that too! Lol!