Oscraps

Avocado Recipes

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I have this silly calendar that says today is National Avocado Day in the US. The end of July is apparently the peak of the avocado growing season in California, and avocado consumption has skyrocketed in the last ten years or so due to it's reputation as being a healthy food. My sister, who has gastric paresis and multiple food allergies, eats several avocados a week, since they are one of the few foods she can tolerate. I don't eat them as often as that, but they are one of my favorite foods. When I was a kid growing up, my Mom would serve avocados as a side dish, but only on special occasions like Christmas and Easter. They would be just peeled and sliced, but I loved them even then.

Nowadays, I could live on a good guacamole! Aside from that and slicing them into sandwiches and salads, I'm wondering if anyone has a quick and easy recipe that uses avocados as the main ingredient?

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O

Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed and spoon the flesh from the skin.
Mash the flesh in a bowl.
Add the lemon juice, some pepper and sea salt and mix well.
Spread the avocado spread on a whole-grain sandwich, cracker, or toasted bread.
put a fried egg on top

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I love avocados- I wish two things, however. 1. They weren't so expensive. and 2. I wish they wouldn't go from rock hard to brown mush is 45 seconds. :rofl:

One fave way that I like to eat them is in a spinach salad. Baby spinach, sliced avocado, and honey dijon dressing.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
delicious chocomousse ... with avocado

attachment.php

2 ripe avocados, without skin and kernel
1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk (or unsweetened almond milk, hazelnut milk ...)
6 to 8 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, to taste
4 to 8 tablespoons (choice: agave syrup, honey, maple syrup ...)

Mix all ingredients into a creamy chocolate mousse in a powerful high-speed blender, or using a hand blender or food processor.

Attachments

• IMG_2752.jpg
    IMG_2752.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 39

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I went out of town shortly after posting this thread, and am just getting caught back up. I'm excited to try the suggestions here!

vivaartistry

Designer
Last edited by a moderator:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Vivienne- that sounds interesting! You are so lucky to get avocados inexpensively. Up here they are usually about $2 apiece for a small Haas and then ya gotta pray that it is ripe just when you need it :p

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O

vivaartistry

Designer
this is interesting Vicki...just read this:

Substitutes for avocado
If you’re an avocado aficionado and are disappointed to find yourself allergic, there are plenty of substitutes.

The most commonly recommended substitution is cooked (and cooled) chayote squash. Chayote squash doesn’t have much flavor, so it mixes well with garlic, tomatoes, onion, and lime to make a delicious quasi-guacamole.

If it’s the creamy green look you’re after, try pureeing green peas for spreads or another fresh take on guacamole. Cooked, pureed asparagus and broccoli are similar substitutes, but they do have a much stronger flavor.

To substitute for avocado’s salty taste in salads or sandwiches, try marinated, sliced hearts of palm or artichoke hearts.