Oscraps

August Art Journaling Challenge Week 3 - Serenity

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
As a recap:
Our word prompt for this month is SERENITY. The word "serenity" generally refers to a state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled. It implies a sense of inner tranquility and freedom from stress or disturbance.

On a deeper level, serenity can be seen as a profound state of mental and emotional peace, where one is able to maintain a sense of calm and balance despite external circumstances. This deeper sense of serenity is often associated with spiritual or philosophical contexts, where it represents an enlightened state of mind characterized by:
  1. Inner Harmony: A deep sense of alignment and balance within oneself, where one's thoughts, emotions, and actions are in sync.
  2. Detachment: The ability to remain unaffected by external chaos or disturbances, often achieved through practices like meditation, mindfulness, or spiritual contemplation.
  3. Acceptance: Embracing the present moment and circumstances without resistance, cultivating a sense of contentment and gratitude.
  4. Wisdom: An understanding of the impermanent nature of life and the ability to navigate challenges with grace and equanimity.
Sonja shared these 4 examples of how to access serenity. They're not the only ones. Sit with it for a while and see what comes to mind.

Remember, You don't have to do one of these four choices. They are just ideas to keep you going down the path, wherever it leads you!

Some song lyrics that mention serenity:

John Denver, "Rocky Mountain High"
Now he walks in quiet solitude the forests and the streams
Seeking grace in every step he takes
His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake

Olivia Newton John, "Serenity"
Accept the things I can't change
And change the things
I still can
Give me the wisdom to know the difference
Grant me serenity
Grant me
Serenity

Christopher Cross, "Sailing"
Well, it's not far back to sanity
At least it's not for me
And if the wind is right you can sail away
And find serenity
Oh, the canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see, really, believe me

Izzy Lucid, "Eli's Interlude Pt. 1"
Peace, serenity, tranquility
I, I just want to be happy
In peace, serenity, tranquility
I, I just want to be happy
In peace, serenity

Here's a mood board to get your mind ruminating on what theme or aspect of Serenity is calling you this week!
Aug24MoodBoard.jpg
Here is my page. I went with making a collage of all the things that I go to when I need to find my serenity and peace again!

You can choose to do a single page each week, or do a divided template - one part for each week. If you don't have the Divided Template and would like to have it, you can get it here at Dropbox. Thank you to Ona @wombat146 for providing the template choices for us! If you do the template, we would love it if you would post it incrementally. Post one done in the first week, post an image of the two together on the second, and three on the third, and then the finished page on the fourth week.

Again - the template is NEVER a requirement to use, just something fun and different if you want to use it.

Everyone who participates in any of this month's challenges will be entered into a drawing for a $5 gift certificate to Oscraps. You can receive up to four entries into this month's drawing.

I can't wait to see what you have to share about the prompt SERENITY

Challenge Rules:
You have until 11:59 p.m. CST on AUGUST 31st to complete your pages for this challenge.
  1. To qualify for the drawing, you need to use 80% Oscraps products that are currently in the store (non-Oscraps products or retired O designer products can be used whether the designer is selling elsewhere or not).
  2. You need to credit all the products used on your page.
  3. You cannot use a page you create for this challenge for another Oscraps challenge.
  4. Upload your page to the Art Journal Gallery and then add your layout to the challenge thread. (Below you will find instructions on adding your page to this thread.)
Adding a linked layout from the Gallery to a thread:

Upload your layout to the gallery first. In your forum post click the Gallery Embed icon (little camera).

This will open your gallery, simply click on the layout you require, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the Continue button.

Your linked layout is now in your post, the image will appear once you have clicked the Post Reply button

Last edited:

AK_Tracy

Ooooohhhhhh the mood board and word definitions associated with serenity............ ooooooohhhhhhhhh slow down mind we've only had one cup coffee............ this is amazing and I cant wait to see your LO. Now to see what comes out of the spinning ideas in my head.

pachimac

CHEERY O
Ooooohhhhhh the mood board and word definitions associated with serenity............ ooooooohhhhhhhhh slow down mind we've only had one cup coffee............ this is amazing and I cant wait to see your LO. Now to see what comes out of the spinning ideas in my head.
Can't wait to see what you do !

scrap-genie

I journaled about my feelings when reading this week's words. Added the Dylan Thomas quote as it occurred to me it fit my thoughts. It's the first three lines of the poem, the first line being the title. Sorry to by so out of sync with the ideas here.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I journaled about my feelings when reading this week's words. Added the Dylan Thomas quote as it occurred to me it fit my thoughts. It's the first three lines of the poem, the first line being the title. Sorry to by so out of sync with the ideas here.

You are TOTALLY not out of sync. The challenge is to be inspired by the topic - how you go is personal and perfectly fine!! I wanted to do detachment but I just couldn't make a page! I searched for elements for hours and then gave up and went a different direction!