Oscraps

Art Journaling anyone?

mom2triplets04

I also dabble in my Travel Journals. I do my December Daily in 4x6 format, have them printed at Walgreens and put each year's in one of my TN's. I've been doing it for 3 years now. I go in spurts of making layouts for my TN's too. I also do Bible Journaling. This would definitely be fun.
I use travelers notebooks too. I also bible journal. I'm addicted to the leather notebooks as well.

mom2triplets04

This sounds like fun. Guess I found you at the right time. I am on facebook a lot and I have found I need to stay away so I can create more. Yes, I've been taking lots of classes while at home.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Great to see this here!!! I do all 3 kinds, including "reverse hybrid" where I photograph hands on items and convert to digital!
Hey Amanda, I know you are a fabulous art journaler, each month we have a 'share your latest project' type thread which I missed out on posting last month but anyone is able to start it off if they want to share anything they have created! :) and yes, I have been photographing some of my hands on projects to use in my digital layouts. :) As I was writing this I realised I hadn't started anything this month either so will do that now........................ here it is if you would like to pop in and share some of your stuff! :)

Amandajk

Hey Amanda, I know you are a fabulous art journaler, each month we have a 'share your latest project' type thread which I missed out on posting last month but anyone is able to start it off if they want to share anything they have created! :) and yes, I have been photographing some of my hands on projects to use in my digital layouts. :) As I was writing this I realised I hadn't started anything this month either so will do that now........................ here it is if you would like to pop in and share some of your stuff! :)
GREAT!! Thanks!

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
How many of you remember back in the day — when art journaling and fantasy-style pages (among others) were controversial on digi scrapping sites? And how few people were actually interested in those kinds of pages at all? My, my, how (happily) times have changed!

Lynn Grieveson

Designer
Designer
I'm looking forward to mixing it up a bit and getting into more 'hands on' and hybrid stuff this year, so I am excited about the idea of a group. I love playing with ink and paint to make my photoshop brushes but definitely keen to start making collage and messy papers etc and mixing up with digital stuff.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
How many of you remember back in the day — when art journaling and fantasy-style pages (among others) were controversial on digi scrapping sites? And how few people were actually interested in those kinds of pages at all? My, my, how (happily) times have changed!
I have to admit I was one of those slightly judgey people when fantasy first started showing up. Why bother if you weren't going to document memories. (For some reason either art journaling didn't hit me the same way or I was in a different space when it arrived.) I remember a digi store opened that was fantasy scrapping focused and I just didn't see why anyone would want to do it. Now, I"m like have fun everyone doing what you love.

Last edited:

RJMJ

@Vicki Robinson Uh! I remember all too well...I was one of "those people" creating a different kind of scrapbook page......Me & my Iayouts weren't welcome at most sites back then...:(:(:mad:...I struggled to find an open-minded forum for me & my art!...I know because I lived this...Thank goodness! times have changed!!!...#crazy...

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
ME!!! I've just started the process and am still buying the tools I need. My printer is broken, so I can't do hybrid right now, darn it!

pachimac

CHEERY O
Anyone into art journaling— digital or hybrid? i do both — and the “get your hands messy” kind too. I have an art journaling group on FB, but they have messed with groups so much, it’s become impossible to manage. I’m considering, for the new year, encouraging the members to come here and try reactivating this section of the forum. I’m thinking I’d clean this forum up and add sections for discussion, tutorials, and maybe even challenges—if there is enough interest. We added an “art journaling” specific gallery when we re-opened, so that’s available to us as well.

What do you think? Any other ideas?
I'm just starting an Art Journal with the theme of JOURNEY. I can post the quotes I use each day and see If anyone wants to join along...

I started an IG with my art journal stuff. @susie_pushes_paint

pachimac

CHEERY O
I admit I was one that was like, "Scrapbooking is memories" type of person, but I never made fun of or said anything about it to anyone!! I also think a good deal of it was jealousy - I know for me, I had no idea how to make such wonderful pages. Slowly I learned my craft and I can now do artsy AND scrapping memories - which is my sweet spot.

Last edited:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
It's funny when I think back to when I first started digi in 2008, I used read all these type of comments and just shake my head and think, but it's ALL art, just different styles!! lol!!! People would get so hung up about it all! LOL! So happy that things have relaxed BUT, it still seems to happen on a smaller scale, within the mixed media world itself, people getting hung up on the 'labeling' of different parts MM as being separate groups. For me MM encompasses all art journaling, collage, abstract etc etc, there are no definitive groupings as they all tend to flow into each other. What I call art journaling may be called an abstract by someone else, or a collage ......... who cares?? :)

In an abstract art FB group recently someone posted a picture of their art journaling page which she described as being an abstract/collage in her art journal.......... well, some of the comments from the abstract purists were simply idiotic and they said that the piece should not have been posted there, it should have been posted in a collage group!! lol!!!! I left that group straight after that, don't have the patience nor the time to deal with people like that anymore! lol!!

So my message is to do what makes you happy, don't worry about what other people call it, or think about it, and certainly don't ever think that your art is not good enough because some else says it's not! DO IT FOR YOU!!! :)
giphy.gif

pachimac

CHEERY O
So my message is to do what makes you happy, don't worry about what other people call it, or think about it, and certainly don't ever think that your art is not good enough because some else says it's not! DO IT FOR YOU!!! :)
giphy.gif
I needed to hear this!!

RJMJ

Did I ever tell you that you are my art journaling hero?!! Well, you are!!!!!
@pachimac Susie...You are just the sweetest!!!....I was blown away by your Outstanding!!! Birthday Wish!!!...Warmed my heart!!!...Always so Gracious! & Kind!...I you too!!!...You oh! so talented & kind!!! Art Journaler/scrapbooker you!!!... #kiss3 ...

pachimac

CHEERY O
@pachimac Susie...You are just the sweetest!!!....I was blown away by your Outstanding!!! Birthday Wish!!!...Warmed my heart!!!...Always so Gracious! & Kind!...I you too!!!...You oh! so talented & kind!!! Art Journaler/scrapbooker you!!!... #kiss3 ...
I call them as I see them!!! I aspire to digitally AJ in the style you do. I need to learn patience and to maybe, God forbid, take a few days to make a page!!

RJMJ

I call them as I see them!!! I aspire to digitally AJ in the style you do. I need to learn patience and to maybe, God forbid, take a few days to make a page!!
@pachimac I will agree...Patience in creating these pages helps a lot!!!...LOL!...but we all go at our own pace...& whatever works for you is what counts!!!... :) ;)...

pachimac

CHEERY O
@pachimac I will agree...Patience in creating these pages helps a lot!!!...LOL!...but we all go at our own pace...& whatever works for you is what counts!!!... :) ;)...
That's the thing. I don't spend the time I need to - thus having them feel unfinished!

SharLamb

Sharron
JUST DISCOVERED THIS THREAD!!!!! I'M IN! I've tried doing tangible-get-my-hands-messy AJs, but HATE it. I hate having messy hands, which is one reason I switched to digital and sold or donated all my rubber-stamping supplies. I think I would be a better cook if it didn't mean messy hands (I now have a faucet in my kitchen which I just need to place my hand in front of, and the water comes on...GAME CHANGER!). That said, I LOVE to SEE messy-hands journals! They inspire me, and I sometimes try to scraplift them in digital. Now that my kids don't send as many photos as they did when the grands were young, I'm turning more and more to DAJ. It is just plain FUN and relaxing and cathartic. Please keep me posted. Thanks Vicki

pachimac

CHEERY O
I have come to love art journaling in the past year or so. I had a lot of emotions to work through with nowhere to really share them, so I did it digitally. Most of my journaling is creatively hidden so no one can read them.